Prayut losing his grip!

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Prayut losing his grip!

Post by ExPenhMan »

The government, however, may be clueless. On Feb 14, Thailand's Culture Ministry revealed that Prayuth has ordered the production of at least one war film a year to boost patriotism and awareness of key institutions, such as religion and the monarchy.
What the f**k? Clueless, indeed. And whiff of desperation. When Prayuth and company cut the legs out from under the FFP and Thanathorn, I think they have set in motion a tsunami. It's surprising and refreshing to see how much people are starting to think for themselves and speaking out, despite all the brainwashing in the schools and media. Thanathorn, by leading the charge, changed the odds.

Sigmoid wrote:
As I have mentioned for a number of years, everyone should leave Thailand while they still can. This looks like it's going to be the Big One. It may be difficult to depart after the collapse of society there.
Noted. And there is a real shortage of reasons for remaining in Thailand. Before the end of July, I'll be somewhere else.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fazur wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am was in thailand when redshirts were going a bit buffalo don't remember any farang being targeted.leave? why?
:thumb:
exactly, Farangs have never been targeted and wont be. Thailand is a survivor. All you need do is look at tourists arrivals since the mid 90's.

concerning the students

Students risk being tools of politicians, say experts
BANGKOK: Students at anti-government rallies risk becoming a tool of politicians who are seeking ways to attack the Prayut Chan-o-cha administration, according to some political scientists and pundits.

“The innocent power of youngsters may unwittingly become a tool of Future Forward,” said Rangsit University political scientist Wanwichit Boonprong.

Future Forward supporters had pledged to launch an off-parliament movement, but “this worries me because what their messages are outside the House are one-sided communication,” Mr Wanwichit said.
....Student flash mobs are also attracting attention from politicians. Pheu Thai spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard yesterday urged opposition politicians to join hands with students to “halt the Prayut regime”, which succeeded the five-year military-backed government that followed the 2014 coup.

However, former politician Chuvit Kamolvisit said yesterday that it was easy for politicians to campaign and win support outside parliament by painting a “dream that touches people’s hearts”. He warned that such politicians were “playing with fire” and could be burnt.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/students- ... a1Uqv6MXuE
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

fazur wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am was in thailand when redshirts were going a bit buffalo don't remember any farang being targeted.leave? why?
The problem arises when your neighborhood is under military curfew and you are unable to go out to buy drinking water, beer, cigarettes, food, etc. without risking getting shot by a sniper.

Or, a stray bullet happens to encounter your skull while opposing factions are battling for control of the area.

Or, you can't get out because the airport is blockaded.

Or, your savings in baht become nearly worthless because the currency has crashed.

Of course, if you live upcountry, you may not be significantly affected but if the military takes over again and people revolt, then you'll be living in a completely lawless country.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 pm
The problem arises when your neighborhood is under military curfew and you are unable to go out to buy drinking water, beer, cigarettes, food, etc. without risking getting shot by a sniper.

Or, a stray bullet happens to encounter your skull while opposing factions are battling for control of the area.

Or, your savings in baht become nearly worthless because the currency has crashed.

Of course, if you live upcountry, you may not be significantly affected but if the military takes over again and people revolt, then you'll be living in a completely lawless country.
Bangkok is a huge city it’s not as if the entire city is going to burn down and 10million Bangkokians fighting each other. I’ve lived here since just before Thaksin was ousted and when there’s trouble it’s just that few streets or areas affected, life goes on the rest of the city.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

A few will survive to repopulate the land.

Naked and Afraid Thailand, “Hell or High Water”
Adam (Matt)
Survival Skills: Primitive Weapons, Fire, Trapping, Hunting, Primitive Fishing, Flint-Knapping, Basketry, Cordage, Hide Tanning, Shelter, Water Purification, Tracking, and Navigation.
Matt is a confident guy, and is ready to take his survival skills to the jungle for the first time. Matt is ex special forces and also has a lifetime of hunting and wilderness experience.
Eve (Linsay)
Survival Skills: Mental strength, Plant identification, Positive attitude
This single mom is pretty funny and sarcastic, and after losing 100 lbs., she loves to challenge herself (Great job, Lindsay!). Lindsay wants to show other woman that you can lose weight and still succeed on the show.

https://www.channelguidemag.com/tv-news ... igh-water/
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Not a problem if the airports get blockaded, with all these empty speedboats parked out in Pattaya Bay because of the lack Covid affected Chinese tour groups I have my cunning evacuation plan sorted.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

yong wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:41 pm
sigmoid wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Bangkok is a huge city it’s not as if the entire city is going to burn down and 10million Bangkokians fighting each other. I’ve lived here since just before Thaksin was ousted and when there’s trouble it’s just that few streets or areas affected, life goes on the rest of the city.

Yes, I suppose you're right... This sort of trifling event lasted merely 4 days, with just a few dozen deaths, a couple hundred injuries, and an insignificant number of disappearances in a relatively small area of Bangkok. For most people, it was just a minor inconvenience.

Numerous newspaper articles, eyewitness accounts, photos and details can be found here (follow the various links):

https://2bangkok.com/09-1992headlines.html

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hey every country has riots, battles in the streets, look around the worlds cities just in the last week
no reason to go back to 92
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Whether you like it or not, Bangkok will have to see at least one more big battle. Hopefully it will cleanse the country of its filthy leadership once and for all (I'm an optimist and still reasonably young, I think I might still see it happen!). :bow:
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I am reassured by that article thanks Sigmoid. :thumb: Unsurprisingly the targets of the protests were state buildings and police booths exactly as I would expect if the current situation escalates beyond 3 finger Hunger Game salutes and hand written cardboard and paper signs.

The hated corruption extorting police force would be a major target for the more extreme elements in any civil unrest in my opinion and I wouldn't lose any sleep over that as they seem to serve very little civic purpose and as has been seen in the recent past are next to useless in maintaining law and order in any serious confrontation. As always the military have weaponry of a magnitude no civilian protest could deal with.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic