Vietnamese Man Attempts to Break Through Border to Cambodia with 25,000 Facemasks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Vietnamese Man Attempts to Break Through Border to Cambodia with 25,000 Facemasks

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Strange that face masks are now considered to be restricted goods.

1 min ago - BREAKING NEWS
Southwestern border province busts major smuggling case to Cambodia

Customs officials of the southwestern border province of An Giang on February 22 busted a smuggling case with 25,000 medical face masks and three cartons of medicines to Cambodia.

This was the first of such case in the province since the outbreak of the acute respiratory disease caused by a novel coronavirus (COVID-19) earlier this year.

A man riding a motorcycle bearing no number plate loaded with 13 carton boxes broke the barrier at the exit gate and was about to do the same at the entry gate near the Cambodian side without making customs procedures when he was blocked.

A check revealed that the boxes contain the masks and the medicines, but the man, a Vietnamese, could not produce any receipt or document on the origin of the goods. VNA
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/696530/sou ... o-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vietnamese Man Attempts to Break Through Border to Cambodia with 25,000 Facemasks

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Vietnamese Man Attempts to Break Through Border to Cambodia with 25,000 Facemasks

Post by Anchor Moy »

That's a funny sort of contraband. How much profit could you make from selling blackmarket facemasks (even 25,000 of them)? They cost almost nothing. Anyone noticed any panic buying, price increases, or a shortage of facemasks ? Should we be stocking up ?

On the same lines, should we be stocking up on anything ? I read that toilet paper was demand in HK, but why worry when you have a bum gun ? :roll:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:36 pm That's a funny sort of contraband. How much profit could you make from selling blackmarket facemasks (even 25,000 of them)? They cost almost nothing. Anyone noticed any panic buying, price increases, or a shortage of facemasks ? Should we be stocking up ?

On the same lines, should we be stocking up on anything ? I read that toilet paper was demand in HK, but why worry when you have a bum gun ? :roll:
You haven't tried buying one at your local pharmacy have you .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:36 pm That's a funny sort of contraband. How much profit could you make from selling blackmarket facemasks (even 25,000 of them)? They cost almost nothing. Anyone noticed any panic buying, price increases, or a shortage of facemasks ? Should we be stocking up ?

There was uproar in Siem Reap a few weeks ago when some shops were selling them for 20,000 riel ($5) each so there is potential for huge profit especially if they get low in supply.....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:42 pm

You haven't tried buying one at your local pharmacy have you .
Nah, I already have a stock. :wink: Haha. They might be past their 'Best By' date because someone left them in the cupboard, but hey, I never chuck anything out until I have to move.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Anyone looking to purchase large orders pm me
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Well the big boss his saying take them off, also he has asked shopkeepers not to put up the price, but no one listens to anyone.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Why do we need facemasks? Due to vigilance by the goveremtn, despite the huge chinese presence, there are no case in Cambodia or laos. thank gd i dont live in an infected coutry
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That's hilarious. Goods flow back and forth there with zero checks all the time. He wasn't a regular paying Joe I guess.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic