Hanoi

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Hanoi

Post by sigmoid »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:37 pm Bringing in vitamins etc,

Need to bring some stuff with me, will it be an issue? Just a few different things in their original bottles (iron, multi vit, vit d, cod liver oil)

Possible to get cheap out there if not?
I've traveled in and out of VN with a stash of vitamins, cold tablets (Tiffy), analgesics, Disento, etc. in my checked baggage numerous times, twice into Ha Noi, although not recently. In my experience, there's never been a baggage check at the customs checkpoint other than running it through the machine.

Like most everything in VN, the cost of vitamins is pretty low, at least for the locally produced brands.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Sod it I think I'll just bang it all in my checked baggage, it's not like it's anything untoward... just sups that I use regularly to keep the wolves from the door. Worst case they confiscate them and I have to buy more, can't see it happening though... Airtravel just makes me feel like a crim.

Just over a week to go, thinking I'll knock about Vietnam for 2-3 months then head over to Cambo again, debating heading up to Siem Reap for a few months first, had a look at the rentals there and can get a fairly nice little room with a pool for sub $200. Can't blooming wait!
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

hanno wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 am
hanno wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:51 am My favorite restaurant at the moment is T-Art. Vietnamese lady that used to work at Sofitel and does amazing Vietnamese food. Also try a Pho Thin, the best one is on 13 Lo Duc. 4P's Pizzas are great but book in advance. Visit the museum of Ethnology.
I would add the Temple of Literature
Sure, but I read it as the OP wanting recommendations away from the usual tourist haunts.

Further suggestions: Women's museum, Police museum, Security museum. All little visited.

Take note that walking street and the Hoan Kiem area being closed off on weekends have all been suspended due to Corona. I should think football matches will follow suit.
I enjoyed touring the Bureau of Public Secrets. Almost no tourists in there.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Need to bring some stuff with me, will it be an issue? Just a few different things in their original bottles (iron, multi vit, vit d, cod liver oil)

Cod Liver Oil - my grandad swore by it and is true. Do you know anywhere in PP?
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:26 am

Cod Liver Oil - my grandad swore by it and is true. Do you know anywhere in PP?
I do not pal, I will be on the lookout though around May/June so if I see any I'll grab you some, might only be in PP for a few days as I'm tempted to rent somewhere up in Siem Reap for a few months and get my study on.

Looking for decent but reasonably priced (aka cheap.. like the budgie) massage/sauna/steam room places in Hanoi if anyone has a clue, so much information online but so little in the way of price. No 10000r knocking shops, I'm not that much more upmarket than that but I do like to pretend to myself I have some semblance of decorum.

Onelove
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Best way to get from Vietnam to Cambodia? Which city would be best to leave from to get to anywhere in Cambodia? Happy to do coach etc, flying in on a one way to Vietnam so need to book a coach from somewhere in Vietnam over to Cambodia for proof of outward travel in case it comes up. Any help would be appreciated!

edit- think its HCMC to PP for about £8 6h coach, hopefully this should suffice as proof as I'm not in the market for flights that cost a bundle and save no time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic