Retiring to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Retiring to Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Duncan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:17 pm $1,200 is more than enough for the first six months or maybe a year. After that it will not be enough because that lovely little girl that your cock has fallen in love with will need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Only one lovely girl???

Strictly avoid factory closing time - and avoid factory zones is my advice.

400 cuties rushing you is no joke.

I need to take you out Duncan :beer3:

Anyway to the OP 1200 you can live well and save too for holidays or anything else.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm surprised so many people say you can live really well and save for trips on top of it. I think it's a bit tight and he'd be hard-pressed to save much at all, but it depends on how many hobbies he's got I guess. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to live cheaply here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
EusebieGherman
Tourist
United States of America

Post by EusebieGherman »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 am I live very comfortably on $700 US per month
I have a new apt, bed sitting room, small cooking area, toilet with hot shower for $100 month........just down the road are bigger rooms with balcony, air con and a swimming pool for $200......both are quiet neighborhoods.
I eat out western-Khmer 80%-20% and am gaining weight :-)
I don’t drink every day but never have to wonder if I can afford an afternoon beer or an occasional drunk.
I’m in Kampot, beautiful riverside, friendly expat community and the Khmer don’t have barang fatigue yet.
That is absolutely perfect. I spent some time googling, youtubing and google-earthing last night and came to the conclusion that Kampot looked like the area I am most interested in. I am on a rather modest fixed income but beyond that, I live a very simple life. No partying, no drinking, drugs or smoking - this is my preferred lifestyle as I am more into cerebral stuff (reading, writing, and research - political stuff too). Though regular massages are on my list of things to do (spoiled living in Thailand and Vietnam) with the occasional (or regular) happy ending massage is quite welcomed also :D
If I can find a decent place for <$200/mo that would be great. I prefer not to use AC but would like cooking facilities and a clean shower area. I anticipate my eating habits to be similar to yours with maybe 50% local and 25/25% western/cooking for myself.
Where ever I go in the world, including the US, I live by a river or some body of water. That is why Kampot looks so good to me with a river AND Gulf of Thailand nearby.
My biggest challenge just now is that I have four full-sized dogs who I am devoted to...it would be nearly impossible to leave them behind and completely impractical to bring them with me. In any case, I am planning on making my first foray into Cambodia in the late summer this year, depending on finances. My game plan is to visit over the next 2-3 years and see what develops here on the home front. I have a decent part-time job (driving a school bus) which helps me make ends meet and which I will not need if/when I move to Cambodia. I had actually planned on returning to Hanoi when I left there in 2008 but The Recession put the kibosh on that idea. Just now the Cambodia option looks really good to me.
Perhaps we could stay in touch and you could point me in the right direction when I, hopefully, arrive sometime this July. Even if you could shoot me the name of a place you would recommend staying at would be very helpful.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

EusebieGherman wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:04 am
CaptainCanuck wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 am I live very comfortably on $700 US per month
I have a new apt, bed sitting room, small cooking area, toilet with hot shower for $100 month........just down the road are bigger rooms with balcony, air con and a swimming pool for $200......both are quiet neighborhoods.
I don’t drink every day but never have to wonder if I can afford an afternoon beer or an occasional drunk.
I’m in Kampot, beautiful riverside, friendly expat community and the Khmer don’t have barang fatigue yet.
That is absolutely perfect. I spent some time googling, youtubing and google-earthing last night and came to the conclusion that Kampot looked like the area I am most interested in. I am on a rather modest fixed income but beyond that, I live a very simple life. No partying, no drinking, drugs or smoking - this is my preferred lifestyle as I am more into cerebral stuff (reading, writing, and research - political stuff too). Though regular massages are on my list of things to do (spoiled living in Thailand and Vietnam) with the occasional (or regular) happy ending massage is quite welcomed also :D
If I can find a decent place for <$200/mo that would be great. I prefer not to use AC but would like cooking facilities and a clean shower area. I anticipate my eating habits to be similar to yours with maybe 50% local and 25/25% western/cooking for myself.
Where ever I go in the world, including the US, I live by a river or some body of water. That is why Kampot looks so good to me with a river AND Gulf of Thailand nearby.
My biggest challenge just now is that I have four full-sized dogs who I am devoted to...it would be nearly impossible to leave them behind and completely impractical to bring them with me. In any case, I am planning on making my first foray into Cambodia in the late summer this year, depending on finances. My game plan is to visit over the next 2-3 years and see what develops here on the home front. I have a decent part-time job (driving a school bus) which helps me make ends meet and which I will not need if/when I move to Cambodia. I had actually planned on returning to Hanoi when I left there in 2008 but The Recession put the kibosh on that idea. Just now the Cambodia option looks really good to me.
Perhaps we could stay in touch and you could point me in the right direction when I, hopefully, arrive sometime this July. Even if you could shoot me the name of a place you would recommend staying at would be very helpful.
EG, most likely I will be in PP July/August. I will also travel to Kep & Kampot for short weekend breaks, as I too love the area. I'll shoot you a PM and if we can meet up, happy to shoot the breeze with you fella!! $1200 is more than enough to live your life, just stay away from the mongers and the GSM-types, and you'll be golden. Watch out for the honey-traps though!! $1200 seems a trifling amount if someone gets their claws in to you!!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yerg wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:55 am
.. I will be in PP July/August. I will also travel to Kep & Kampot for short weekend breaks, as I too love the area. I'll shoot you a PM
Looking forward to your arrival. Come as early as like.

(am i allowed to say that?)
EusebieGherman
Tourist
United States of America

Post by EusebieGherman »

Marty wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:50 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:37 pm I cant stand AA.
I can't stand it either...the only thing worse is being drunk and/or high and the only thing worse than that is being a dry drunk without the option of self-medicating. It's all about choices, not absolutes.

Definitely a crappy airline. Recall Flight 191.

I will make a point of avoiding the ghost of Flight AA 191, thank you.
Marty wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:50 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:37 pm I cant stand AA.
Definitely a crappy airline. Recall Flight 191.
Mishmash wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm
Duncan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:17 pm $1,200 is more than enough for the first six months or maybe a year. After that it will not be enough because that lovely little girl that your cock has fallen in love with will need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Only one lovely girl???

Strictly avoid factory closing time - and avoid factory zones is my advice.

400 cuties rushing you is no joke.

I need to take you out Duncan :beer3:

Anyway to the OP 1200 you can live well and save too for holidays or anything else.
cptrelentless wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 pm
Good info - thanks!

Pretty sure god can wag his finger at your drinking anywhere in the world, he's omnipresent.
angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:28 pm
God, doesn't need to wag His finger at me, He already has me, body and soul - the reason I went from a hopeless drunk/addict to a happy, joyous and free hope fiend.

As all above easy to do. your issue will be AA I'm sure, I knew someone whos partner went to the PP one for a meeting and then they all went out and got drunk.... Perhaps see if there are online groups/support you can access from home. As also mentioned here, Kampot and Siem Reap may be best for you but Battambang is also a good choice for quiet and cheap. One thing nobody has mentioned is what about your health and taking care of that? Health insurance is the way to go really but that ain't cheap. Hopefully you are fit and healthy but all it can take is a bad dose of dengue and you've spent your allowance in hospital bills. So as mentioned make sure you have savings for emergencies. Not sure if of interest but this guy has a retirement place in Siem Reap all inclusive with some healthcare post371106.html#p371106
cptrelentless wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 pm
I can see where anyone unfamiliar with AA would be a bit confused as to its purpose. AA does not promise or guarantee anyone sobriety - what it does is demonstrates, both in writing and IRL, a body of people who practice certain principals who have been successful at freeing themselves from chronic hopelessness - a condition that plagues mankind in general but is greatly amplified in alcoholic/addict type of personalities. It may have been inappropriate for me to even mention it in a public forum but before I left the US for the first time, by my sponsor's advice, the first thing I did was to identify meetings in every country (30+) and continent (3) I visited. It worked out well for me as I have been able to stay sober and drug-free, by the grace of God, for 19 years this past January. The last thing I will mention about the AA thing is that after so many years the meetings have become a major pain in the ass (surrounded by a bunch of "sober" drunks - go figure), however, the deal is that when I desperately needed help, those sober drunks were there for me and COMMITTED to helping me, a complete stranger to them, get and stay sober. It is a commitment that I continue to honor and respect. I have had the honor and privilege of being part of the delegation that brought AA to Thailand (Thai AA) and to India (where it was officially illegal). So I always try to identify local AA meetings wherever I travel for three reasons; (1) to remain part of the organization that saved my life (2) it's a great way to make contacts and (3) to give back what was so freely given to me.
I spent some time on the internet last night and have targeted Kampot as a place I am especially interested in. I plan on starting my Cambodian adventure by traveling to Kampot this July (God willing and finances allowing) and visiting Cambodia over the next 2-3 years. That will give me a good chance to check out Cambodia rather thoroughly.
I am in good health, though I do take a blood thinner (xarelto) to avoid bouts of afib. Though I am older, I do not have a lot of health concerns nor do I dwell on that sort of thing. I thought I was going to go down in India from drinking "bottled" water in a restaurant (where I later learned it is common practice to refill and re-seal bottles with bacteria-laden local tap water). Anyway, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks for the retirement place info but I'd probably be more inclined to go out being eaten by a tiger while meditating on some remote mountain than choking on my dentures in a retirement home. As I said, we'll play that one by ear. I will look into health insurance tho to be on the safe side. That would probably entail me having to generate additional income from Cambodia which is a possibility.

Pretty sure god can wag his finger at your drinking anywhere in the world, he's omnipresent.
angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:28 pm As all above easy to do. your issue will be AA I'm sure, I knew someone whos partner went to the PP one for a meeting and then they all went out and got drunk.... Perhaps see if there are online groups/support you can access from home. As also mentioned here, Kampot and Siem Reap may be best for you but Battambang is also a good choice for quiet and cheap. One thing nobody has mentioned is what about your health and taking care of that? Health insurance is the way to go really but that ain't cheap. Hopefully you are fit and healthy but all it can take is a bad dose of dengue and you've spent your allowance in hospital bills. So as mentioned make sure you have savings for emergencies. Not sure if of interest but this guy has a retirement place in Siem Reap all inclusive with some healthcare post371106.html#p371106
angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:28 pm As all above easy to do. your issue will be AA I'm sure, I knew someone whos partner went to the PP one for a meeting and then they all went out and got drunk.... Perhaps see if there are online groups/support you can access from home. As also mentioned here, Kampot and Siem Reap may be best for you but Battambang is also a good choice for quiet and cheap. One thing nobody has mentioned is what about your health and taking care of that? Health insurance is the way to go really but that ain't cheap. Hopefully you are fit and healthy but all it can take is a bad dose of dengue and you've spent your allowance in hospital bills. So as mentioned make sure you have savings for emergencies. Not sure if of interest but this guy has a retirement place in Siem Reap all inclusive with some healthcare post371106.html#p371106
PS - What is barang fatigue?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Happy to help all you US refugees (ps, 'commiserations. i understand)
$1200 bucks will allow you to live long term in Cambodia if you like the "mud hut" lifestyle.
But don't ever get sick or have an emergency, 'not much left over for that.
There are lots of quiet places, some are really nice, all are hard-core hard living.
AA /NA is what you make it.
Don't bring your dogs - it would be cruel. (i rarely say "don't do" to people, but I will with this one)

ps, AA/NA is not for me on an ongoing basis, but they did save my life decades ago, and many many others.
but some of the stories above ^^^ are quite true.
I love this one, confirmed to me by the regional head of this UN organisation some years later. (he used to regularly pass thru my cambodian home town).

Until about mid-2000's you saw a small classified ad in the Cambodia Daily every second edition.
"NA meeting, UN Office of Drugs and Crime conference room, every Tues and Thurs etc"
Then they suddenly moved to a new location before fading.
Apparently all the high end UN conference room antique chairs disappeared during one of the meetings.
belly chuckle
(maybe one or two of our long term members could fill us in on the details???)
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 am
.. I will be in PP July/August. I will also travel to Kep & Kampot for short weekend breaks, as I too love the area. I'll shoot you a PM

Assuming Foreign Office advice isn't daft, I will spend the summer in PP/Kep/Kampot/Takeo Province. I'll come as quickly as I can, Stern. It's the only way!!!! Looking forward to that long-awaited cold beer, pal :beer3:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Yerg wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:49 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 am

Assuming Foreign Office advice isn't daft, I will spend the summer in PP/Kep/Kampot/Takeo Province. I'll come as quickly as I can, Stern. It's the only way!!!! Looking forward to that long-awaited cold beer, pal :beer3:
lol
the only way , it seems
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Slightly off topic but I haven't been to kampot for a lng time, mainly because it was more POT than kam and I got fed up with getting everyone elses munchies. is it no longer the haunt of jumkies and alcoholics?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic