16Yo Irish Lad Coming to Cambodia to Help Farmers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

16Yo Irish Lad Coming to Cambodia to Help Farmers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Helping farmers in Cambodia
Josh McMullin, a 16 year old from Maghera, is embarking on a fundraising drive to enable him to go to Cambodia with Sperrin Integrated School in May 2021.
By The Newsroom
Sunday, 23rd February 2020, 4:00 pm
Costing £4,000, the trip with Camps International will enable Josh to build houses, help local farmers and local villages in Cambodia.

Josh’s grandmother, June McMullin from Upperlands is holding a Charity Country and Western Concert in LinenHall Centre, Upperlands to help Josh fulfill his ambition of helping others less fortunate.

The concert is on Friday, March 13, starting at 7.45pm and the artists appearing are Country Features, Tony Kerr, The Singing Brickie, John Porter, Michael Mawhinney with Kenny Archer as compere. There will be a raffle on the night with great prizes.
https://www.farminglife.com/country-and ... ia-1887219
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: 16Yo Irish Lad Coming to Cambodia to Help Farmers

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Looks like a great concert
Tony Kerr!

Connor McKay; The singing Brickie!!

Michael Mawhinney!!!

Don't give him the usual do-gooder's hard time
He's not really serious about helping any peasant farmers anywhere
He just wants more than the fuck out of hell to escape the land of his birth.
...and his Mum's music.

The green green Irish grass of home? - OR, rural squalor in Cambodia?
"bags are already packed, Mum"
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Turn the lights down Josh....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:08 pm
Don't give him the usual do-gooder's hard time
He's not really serious about helping any peasant farmers anywhere
He just wants more than the fuck out of hell to escape the land of his birth.
...and his Mum's music.

The green green Irish grass of home? - OR, rural squalor in Cambodia?
"bags are already packed, Mum"
For sure. He's 16. I think he's great. At least he wants to do SOMETHING, he's got a plan, and he's worked out a way to do it.
Way ahead of me at the same age. I just wanted to :rave: and :banana: and ... the rest is private :mrgreen: .
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Just don't mention potatoes....

Rice is fine
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:23 am Just don't mention potatoes....

Rice is fine
Just don't mention potatoes....haha... so we are talking of potatoes, what are you people buying by the way and how much are you paying per kilo? Are you getting good potatoes for Chips, French fry's if your American, and what about seasonal potatoes, any one in the know of this! I had some very much like a Jersey new potato not long back very tasty indeed.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 pm

Rice is fine
Just don't mention potatoes....haha... so we are talking of potatoes, what are you people buying by the way and how much are you paying per kilo? Are you getting good potatoes for Chips, French fry's if your American, and what about seasonal potatoes, any one in the know of this! I had some very much like a Jersey new potato not long back very tasty indeed.
I like saute... bit of mash too, damn those chips get me very time.... nahhhh. i can't believe it - my wife is making a spud in the micro right now with mozarello... andy.. the new jeeeeooorrrrsyyy potato is ...oh man pass me the gravy...

sorry - we were mentioning rice?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:12 pm

Rice is fine
I like saute... bit of mash too, damn those chips get me very time.... nahhhh. i can't believe it - my wife is making a spud in the micro right now with mozarello... andy.. the new jeeeeooorrrrsyyy potato is ...oh man pass me the gravy...

Oh apologies there, but potato's are a fault to myself but being obviously my staple diet. But due firstly, when in season on those cold mornings, me and my poor mates would be following that tractor and plough at first dawn with our buckets has the sun would soon to rise, we would pick them spuds until the sun dipped again and then do the same next day, I had to work out how many I would put in the bucket because if too many I could not lift the bucket up to tip in the trailer, if we spilt them the old farmer who kept a beady eye on us would be cross with his discipline and sometimes a boot up the arse. It was the beginning of a hard life on the farms for our youth and learning and labours being only seven at the time. 12 hours graft was worth about one dollar for a lad of that age, soon to sleep at the end of the day, even though ones back was hurting.

Rice - Cambodia is the worlds 7th- 8th largest rice exporter with 1,000+ metric tons.

There are several species of grain called rice. Asian rice (Oryza sativa) is most widely known and most widely grown, with two major subspecies (Indica and japonica) and over 40,000 varieties. Also included in this list are varieties of African rice (Oryza glaberrima) and wild rice (genus Zizania).
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:56 pm
Mishmash wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:12 pm

Rice is fine

Oh apologies there, but potato's are a fault to myself but being obviously my staple diet. But due firstly, when in season on those cold mornings, me and my poor mates would be following that tractor and plough at first dawn with our buckets has the sun would soon to rise, we would pick them spuds until the sun dipped again and then do the same next day, I had to work out how many I would put in the bucket because if too many I could not lift the bucket up to tip in the trailer, if we spilt them the old farmer who kept a beady eye on us would be cross with his discipline and sometimes a boot up the arse. It was the beginning of a hard life on the farms for our youth and learning and labours being only seven at the time. 12 hours graft was worth about one dollar for a lad of that age, soon to sleep at the end of the day, even though ones back was hurting.

Rice - Cambodia is the worlds 7th- 8th largest rice exporter with 1,000+ metric tons.

There are several species of grain called rice. Asian rice (Oryza sativa) is most widely known and most widely grown, with two major subspecies (Indica and japonica) and over 40,000 varieties. Also included in this list are varieties of African rice (Oryza glaberrima) and wild rice (genus Zizania).
yep those farmers had me working the sacks in the warehouse. fucking heavy bastard sacks. But I could have a cup of tea. and they paid cash at the end of the shift. non of this pay you at the end of the week/month shite andy. I wish the Irish lad best of fun.. no doubt the locals will destroy him with rice wine and donate some rice and mango farmer gals with those sultry looks and ample charms :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic