Safety tips for Girls (and Guys who carry Handbags)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Safety tips for Girls (and Guys who carry Handbags)

Post by Spigzy »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am
Khmu Nation wrote:Men who carry handbags deserve to be robbed.
Nobody deserves to be robbed.
Beg to differ. We could start with this twat ... :hattip:

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I do at times take out with me a smallish bag to put a few things in when I have been traveling out some evenings to take a few photos, preferring at times without too many people around. Yes! I do know if their maybe some folk around at 3-4am possibly the wrong type you would want to meet. Also I would say to others don't take un-necessary risks in dark areas around the city.
Also if I take the backpack with me, more so too if I go to get shopping from the markets I tie it securely on to the bike tank so it can't be grabbed and pulled away.
Here I see the news mainly of the types of crimes on this site. Only once have I witnessed a handbag snatch, that was on a first visit to Phnom Penh over 10 years ago, a middle aged Khmer lady had her bag snatched in the restaurant by some young beggar kids, the waiter took off immediately straight after them but never got her bag back.
Anyway its a good tread rozz what you have done here, very helpful to many, if only just for awareness to some.

leave some night time or early morning photo's,

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am Pics & things
Very nice pics, they need a thread of their own. Where is that fighter pic? Never seen it.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Thank you @rozzieoz for starting this thread. I've read through every post and found it to be very helpful and informative. My next trip to Cambodia I will take extra precaution, I am one who likes to take photos and videos on the street and even out of an open window of a moving car, I should stop.

Actually after reading all these a fearful feeling overcame me about Cambodia having to take all these precautions which I don't really have to consider when I visit say Malaysia, the Philippines or Myanmar, even living in Thailand for 15 years now I have never need to consider to be so careful. Thanks again for this thread.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I had the idea to carry a bag/purse with about 15 meters of rope attached to it and coiled inside. Holding the other end, let the bag get snatched, and then yank the offender off the back of the moto when that rope runs out. An idea I will never implement, however, as I would not like to be responsible for someone’s death or serious injury. A purse full of dog shit however....
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Singsling wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 am
rozzieoz wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:18 am
Marty wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:12 am Any safety tips for men with man-buns?
Nope, they are on their own.
Especially handbag-wearing men with man-buns
This is a contradiction of terms..
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

talltuktuk wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 am I had the idea to carry a bag/purse with about 15 meters of rope attached to it and coiled inside. Holding the other end, let the bag get snatched, and then yank the offender off the back of the moto when that rope runs out. An idea I will never implement, however, as I would not like to be responsible for someone’s death or serious injury. A purse full of dog shit however....
I always liked the idea of having a small explosive device attached to the end of the rope in the bag.

Also an idea that I will never implement.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

All this advice about where to carry your handbag and/or rucksack while riding pillion on a moto is missing an important and obvious solution to this particular problem:

Don't get on the bloody things, either riding or as a passenger.

It constantly amazes me the amount of very middle aged expats buzzing around on bikes without a helmet like they were teenagers in Greece in the 80's, many of them after having several beers. All in a country with a healthcare system rated below Afghanistan. Just how stupid can you get?

https://an24.net/2017/02/20/world-healt ... h-systems/
Deefer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Deefer »

Time for Super Granny to help.

Deefer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic