Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by yong »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am It's been five weeks now since Wuhan went in lock down, with daily flights from Wuhan entering the KoW until that day. With a mean incubation time of 3-4 days (I know exceptional cases are suspected to have much longer incubation times, but the mean time is 3-4 days so that means 7 possible infection cycles since the lock down) you'd expect quite some ill people now, 35 days later.

Still, for some reason (warm? dry? loads of sunlight?) the virus simply doesn't seem to do so well in the tropics in this time of year. In the Northern Hemisphere - sure, it's popping up everywhere now, but in the tropics it seems it's mainly from travelers and massive spreading seems out of the order so far.
Living in Thailand and with only 40 cases I too was swayed toward the "hot weather virus cannot survive" theory however looking at the spread in Singapore it bags the contrary. I am really confused.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yong wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:47 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am It's been five weeks now since Wuhan went in lock down, with daily flights from Wuhan entering the KoW until that day. With a mean incubation time of 3-4 days (I know exceptional cases are suspected to have much longer incubation times, but the mean time is 3-4 days so that means 7 possible infection cycles since the lock down) you'd expect quite some ill people now, 35 days later.

Still, for some reason (warm? dry? loads of sunlight?) the virus simply doesn't seem to do so well in the tropics in this time of year. In the Northern Hemisphere - sure, it's popping up everywhere now, but in the tropics it seems it's mainly from travelers and massive spreading seems out of the order so far.
Living in Thailand and with only 40 cases I too was swayed toward the "hot weather virus cannot survive" theory however looking at the spread in Singapore it bags the contrary. I am really confused.
How many have it but cant afford to be tested??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Just 93 in Singapore, with a R0 of about 3 you'd expect that number to be much, much higher.

I see numbers creeping up, I don't see a massive amounts of infections in the tropics.
Last edited by Kammekor on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 am

How many have it but cant afford to be tested??
I guess in that case they're not very ill. Because if you're seriously out of breath you're probably anxious enough to look for help.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thailand, 26 Feb,2020. From the Bangkok Post:
Travel risk

Public Health Ministry officials will be prohibited from travelling to risky countries, [Dr Sukhum of the health ministry] added. If travel is required, personnel are required to self-quarantine for 14 days.

At-risk countries include China, Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Italy, Iran and Japan.

Mr Anutin said that Covid-19 has been classified as a dangerous communicable disease. Under the change, anybody with suspect symptoms after visiting a high-risk country must report to the authorities within three hours.

In an earlier Facebook post, Mr Anutin said Thailand has detected more suspected cases and groups at risk of contracting the disease, as well as infections from travellers returning home after visiting high-risk countries.

“Those who are planning to travel abroad in this period, if it’s possible to avoid that, please avoid it,” Mr Anutin said. “We are entering a full war with Covid-19.”

Returning travellers must report where they went to disease control officers stationed at airports, he said in the Facebook post, adding people shouldn’t conceal symptoms as that could cause the virus to spread.

At the briefing, the health minister again discouraged Thais from unnecessary travel. "For the airlines, please reduce promotions," Mr Anutin said.

"Even though tickets are cheap, it could be your last holiday."
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

j57 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:06 pm i was in USA in December and needed to get back to Siem Reap.
Because of the protests in Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific lowered its rates below China Eastern and China Southern...I prefer Hong Kong airport over mainland anyway.
I was so fucking lucky to get back on January 20th to Siem Reap and avoid this plague.
I sat next to a Chinese American who was heading to the mainland for 2 weeks to see her elderly mother for New Year's....
I need to go back to the USA in the next 4-6 months.
Buying a ticket is a complete clusterfuck right now.
Avoiding Chinese airports...airlines is tough...
Siem Reap gives little choice..I looked at PP and Bangkok.
My idea to fly to Seoul or Tokyo has been monkey wrenched by the latest outbreaks.
I will wait and see ....
I sure don't trust the Chinese to report anything near the truth....
I guess I will just hit the pool and keep a low profile in beautiful Siem Reap....
Traveling on a plane and stopping in a huge airport seems like a huge risk...
There are so many economic factors about to come into play in the next few months if this plague continues to spread.
Big business better learn that the present supply chain has a monster problem ....
Inventories across the globe will run low and the model of relying on China is going to have to be revaluated....to say the least.
[/quoteIts

It's a pity Cebu Pacific stopped their route from SR to Manila or you could escape via the Philippines.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:16 pm ^^

New bird mate? She's a keeper...
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:13 pm
DaveG wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:16 pm ^^

New bird mate? She's a keeper...
Lol....
It must have been the eye lashes and nice smile that did it ..... :D
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:54 pm
BrazilBoy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:35 pm
I took a test for Corona virus and the CDC US informed the manager of my apartment who then called my employer and the broker that found me the place and very next thing, I was given a week to move out and I was terminated immediately. True, I had already given notice and I was glad to be fleeing a shithole but so what?
So the test confirmed you had the corona virus?

Coz I'm wondering whether you are in fact fleeing a shithole or pissed off that the authorities terminated your employment and tenancy?
Hey Clutch, maybe BB is right! Maybe Cambodia is such a shithole, and the Covid-19 virus is just as discerning as BB, and decided not to demean itself and bother wasting it's time here; it has bigger and better fish to fry.

On the other hand, maybe BB is just trolling us because he is still bitter and twisted about his short time here. I think the time has come to make a suggestion...

All those in favour of perma-banning BrazilBoy, say AYE!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

All those in favour of perma-banning BrazilBoy, say AYE!
:stir:
If we banned all the assholes here, there would be few left to carry on the good fight.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic