Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by DaveG »

oliviamas wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:42 pm this forum still working?

Lol, Yes....Welcome
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

I've recently moved into PP. My wife is from here. I'm from SG. Life is totally different here and language is one of the major problem. I believe many of you would probably experience the same thing that you get rip off when buying stuff from the market. Like buying drink, you saw locals paying 2000riel and you buy the same exact drink, you are charged with USD1 or 3-4000 riel. So irritating at times that i would prefer to go supermarket and bulk buy the drinks and keep home...
oliviamas
Tourist
Germany

Post by oliviamas »

Yap. Thanks!
Just enjoy my life, people and you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ssian wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:38 am I believe many of you would probably experience the same thing that you get rip off when buying stuff from the market. Like buying drink, you saw locals paying 2000riel and you buy the same exact drink, you are charged with USD1 or 3-4000 riel. So irritating at times that i would prefer to go supermarket and bulk buy the drinks and keep home...
If you don't speak the language it can be more difficult. If a vendor charged a local 2000 Riel and then tried to charge me more I would mention it, and if they insisted I would take my business elsewhere. It helps to know the price of things, what you have experienced would generally only happen in touristy areas. I find most locals to be very honest but then I can speak a reasonable amount of Khmer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

ssian wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:38 am I've recently moved into PP. My wife is from here. I'm from SG. Life is totally different here and language is one of the major problem. I believe many of you would probably experience the same thing that you get rip off when buying stuff from the market. Like buying drink, you saw locals paying 2000riel and you buy the same exact drink, you are charged with USD1 or 3-4000 riel. So irritating at times that i would prefer to go supermarket and bulk buy the drinks and keep home...
Take your missus with you and visit the local shops. Once they know you are with a khmer they will charge you local prices. BTW this is not an endemic problem outside the tourist hubs. I did spark an argument once when i bought some water and a tuktuk driver told the woman to charge memore as I was a rich foreigner but she wasnt having any of it. I find being polite gets you a long way with khmer.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

pczz wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:19 am
ssian wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:38 am I've recently moved into PP. My wife is from here. I'm from SG. Life is totally different here and language is one of the major problem. I believe many of you would probably experience the same thing that you get rip off when buying stuff from the market. Like buying drink, you saw locals paying 2000riel and you buy the same exact drink, you are charged with USD1 or 3-4000 riel. So irritating at times that i would prefer to go supermarket and bulk buy the drinks and keep home...
Take your missus with you and visit the local shops. Once they know you are with a khmer they will charge you local prices. BTW this is not an endemic problem outside the tourist hubs. I did spark an argument once when i bought some water and a tuktuk driver told the woman to charge memore as I was a rich foreigner but she wasnt having any of it. I find being polite gets you a long way with khmer.
Yup... Politeness is the way to go here... You greet them with great smile and buy couple of things, the drinks vendor are ok. The tuktuk is the problem, that's why Grab is great! i showed them the price grab is charging and i won't pay anything more. Haha
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

ssian wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:38 am
pczz wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:19 am
Yup... Politeness is the way to go here... You greet them with great smile and buy couple of things, the drinks vendor are ok. The tuktuk is the problem, that's why Grab is great! i showed them the price grab is charging and i won't pay anything more. Haha
Slight problem with the logic there.
1) grab and passap use those horrible indian three wheeeld death traps which onlt take2 normal sized barang. if there are 4, it costs doublt, but a proper tuk can take 4 easily
2) The Indian coffins all run on lpg and cost far less to run than a real tuk, so they cannot compete long term unless they are running an old wreck. Realistically i doubt a proper tuk tuk get more thna 40 mpg given the appaling state they are in mechanically and 4 fat barang overloading them.
3) indian coffin is totally shite for journeys longer than 10 or 15 minutes unless you enjoy that clustrphobic feeling of being stuck in a lift.
All other things being equal I would rather pay $3 for a real tuk than $1.50 for a fairground ride.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Ciao to all CEO members!. I am Italian, spent a third of my life travelling SEA with missus, visiting KOW regularly since 15 years, sometimes a short stint, but also stayed a couple of months at a time. Watched good places go bad and shitholes become nice places (rarely). Love good food, hanging around the beach in a a simple hut and play billards all night long. Missus from Switzerland, been happily married for 30 years, no kids. Always been a humble tourist, never touched a khmer woman, never went into any business adventures. I like to make my money here and spend it there. Made friends in Cambodia and lost many of them to drugs, pussy power and cheats. Some of them very dumb, some others just unlucky. Hope to meet some interesting people on this forum and get and give some good advice to fellow lovers of this country.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

^^ Great introduction. Welcome to the forum :hattip:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

To all new posters: Shouldn't be necessary to say this, but all new posters are welcome here, so just jump in and post, start a thread, or leave a comment.
Most of us are nice people. :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic