Thai curry paste and coconut milk?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Thai curry paste and coconut milk?

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

Does anyone know how easy it is to find things like coconut milk and Thai curry paste in markets and shops (specifically Siem Reap and Battambang).

I want to cook my own food and curry is easy.

I suppose there are places cooking curry and they must get ingredients from somewhere. I doubt they make curry paste themselves etc.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai curry paste and coconut milk?

Post by John Bingham »

I doubt they make curry paste themselves etc.
It depends what kind of place you are talking about. I've seen Khmer women spending hours mashing up herbs in pestles and mortars and also going for the faster route using packaged spices. Tom Yum mix is popular, as are Knorr stock cubes. The branded curry pastes in the supermarkets tend to be rather expensive.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

I should have said I doubt everyone makes their own from scratch. Silly to say noone crushes their own.

The ones I'm interested in are the yellow, red, and green pastes etc.

Sometimes they have the raw prepackeged ones in markets in Thailand, but I have never looked for them in Cambodia before.

I wonder if you can buy the coconut milk already infused with the curry pastes?

how do i make a new photo album on facebook
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Pretty much every supermarket stocks Thai curry pastes, and tinned coconut milk and cream are available everywhere
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

fantastic.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Yes, canned coconut milk available in Angkor Supermarket and others in Siem Reap.
You can get fresh coconut milk at the back of Psar Leu Market in Siem Reap also. And probably a few other markets. At Psar Leu walk through the main section until you come out at the road where freshly cooked food is sold. Look for the coconut husks on the floor of a shop facing the market. I've never bought it myself but the wife has. I think they sell by the litre.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

If you like to cook try making your own pastes and milk, neither is hard, and you can make it the way you want. I like lots of Kaffir lime (Makrut) in my green curry for instance. All the ingredients are easy and cheap, the only special tools are either a mortar and pestle or grinder for the paste, and a scraper for the milk.
up to you...
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Battambang try Heng Chhay Ly Supermarket or the store opposite the central market, north side. If they don't have what you want they will usually get it.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Clemen wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:57 am If you like to cook try making your own pastes and milk, neither is hard, and you can make it the way you want. I like lots of Kaffir lime (Makrut) in my green curry for instance. All the ingredients are easy and cheap, the only special tools are either a mortar and pestle or grinder for the paste, and a scraper for the milk.
We make our own, everything fresh from the garden, including the coconuts and chickens, there is something very satisfying about making your meals from scratch, and the end result is way better than “from a can” granted it takes a little longer, but not eccessivly so.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

If you make your own, to get that authentic Thai taste you will have to add msg/Rotdi and lots of sugar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic