Retiring to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EusebieGherman
Tourist
United States of America

Retiring to Cambodia

Post by EusebieGherman »

Hello, I currently live and work in the US. I have lived for extended periods of time in Vietnam, Thailand, Poland, and India. I am giving some serious consideration to retiring to Cambodia in the next year or two. I have a few questions about retirement in Cambodia
1) My primary income will be Social Security which is < $1200/mo so that is my first question. Is it even possible to live in Cambodia for under $1200 per month?
2) Is there AA in Cambodia?
3) How is internet availability?
4) Are there remote areas internet where one can live inexpensively?
5) I am your basic stick in the mud type and do not seek nightlife, so where are the more sedate areas of Cambodia.

Thank you to anyone/everyone who might respond. It would be great if I could exchange emails with an American expat if at all possible.

Eusebie
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Retiring to Cambodia

Post by pczz »

EusebieGherman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:56 am Hello, I currently live and work in the US. I have lived for extended periods of time in Vietnam, Thailand, Poland, and India. I am giving some serious consideration to retiring to Cambodia in the next year or two. I have a few questions about retirement in Cambodia
1) My primary income will be Social Security which is < $1200/mo so that is my first question. Is it even possible to live in Cambodia for under $1200 per month?
5) I am your basic stick in the mud type and do not seek nightlife, so where are the more sedate areas of Cambodia.

Thank you to anyone/everyone who might respond. It would be great if I could exchange emails with an American expat if at all possible.

Eusebie
1) I spend about $800 a month on everything so it is possible if you have a smal apartment AND are not alcoholic AND dont chase ladies to excess
2) if you mean alcoholics anonymous check out this site http://www.aosm-aa.org/about/map-of-aa- ... ific-zone/
3) internet depends on where you are and yur service provider. Its pretty reasonable in most of Phnom Penh. i get 4mb up and down, but it can be a bit unrelible at times. recently there was an issue with n undersea cable which screwedit. Don't expect to find lots of game serves if thats your thing. $g internet is usually pretty good but they do not share masts so you have to pick your simaccording to your area or get a dual sim phone like most people. Smart offer a cell phone modem with 2mb up and down (may be more now)
4) You do not have to be in a remote area to live inexpensively. In fact it may cost you more to go too outback as the local police can be greedy and accomodation scarce. You will not find western food and not recommended until you have spent time here and got experience. Few people in remote areas speak english. Some areas are blackspots, check with locl to see if internet is useable. You could try siem reap, kampot or battambang. Slightly cheaper than Phnom Penh and not really remote.
5) All the niggtlife is easily avoidable. I is concentrated in expat areas and there are quieter bars and restaurants away fromt he hubbub. In phnom Penh anywhere awy for riverside is quiet. Others will advice you about alternative locations.
Just beware of healthcare. Most of the decent facilities are in Phnom Penh if you have any existing consitions or meds you need
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

Hi.

1. Yes, especially if you can cook your own meals. I think you'll need at least $10,000 in your pocket when you arrive. The first year will be the most expensive.

2. Yes. http://www.aacambodia.org/

3. Depends on where you live and what you need the internet for. In most cities it's ok. Power outages are a problem though.

4. In many ways, living in remote areas can be more expensive than in the bigger cities.

5. I've been living in the center of Phnom Penh for over 14 years. There are both "sedate" and "crazy" areas within walking distance. The crazies come out at night, so I don't.

Have you ever visited Cambodia? If not, then you should take a 2 or 3 week vacation here first. I have never up and moved anywhere without spending some time there first. Many people absolutely hate this country, like this guy who spent 2 whole months in this shithole: asinine-arena-enter-your-own-risk/thank ... =Brazilboy.

Hope this helps. PM me if you wish.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

2. aa is alcoholics anonymous. AA is American Airlines. So, yes:

American Airlines flights to Cambodia one-way or return flights starting at $587.
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

Did you go to Poland for the booze?
If so Cambodia's even cheaper so yes, good choice
AA in Cambodia might exist, it's probably as helpful as a cultural sensitivity program for a jihadist.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Singsling wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:18 am Did you go to Poland for the booze?
AA in Cambodia might exist, it's probably as helpful as a cultural sensitivity program for a jihadist.
Cheaper yes. Not better. And good point those jihadists did use AA jumbo jets.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Marty wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:25 am
I think you mean AA mumbo jumbo jets.

Elevated by the Higher Power.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Concur with the others... Take a week, two or a month to check out the place before u commit.

From a cost perspectice, rent is gonna run u $100-$400 depending upon the amenities u want. Phnom Penh definitely mo expensive esp if all u eat is western food. I rent in the $200 range.

Internet will run yah $10 bucks a month but may not be suitable for a gamer or hardcore downloading. I watch nflx with no problem.

I cook so my budget is around $100 bucks on food.

You can do the math on the rest so good luck... Dont know u but i think from what ive read, siem reap may be yo cup of tea.. phnom penh mo urban living which is good n bad depending upon yo perspective
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

EusebieGherman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:56 am Hello, I currently live and work in the US. I have lived for extended periods of time in Vietnam, Thailand, Poland, and India. I am giving some serious consideration to retiring to Cambodia in the next year or two. I have a few questions about retirement in Cambodia

Eusebie
You can email me for any kind of info.
[email protected]
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:43 am
Marty wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:25 am
I think you mean AA mumbo jumbo jets.

Elevated by the Higher Power.
And if you are form uk it also means Automobile Association
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic