Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by DaveG »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:49 pm
DaveG wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 pm Maybe we just have to accept it and do our best to protect ourselves and our families.
Not sure if " Duck and Cover "would work with this one.....

The Soviet RDS-202

sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I got busy and forgot to check in on this situation.

What's the current death toll? Have many millions have died so far? :chin:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 pm I got busy and forgot to check in on this situation.

Lol, 2770....early days, patience my friend, there's no rush...... :beer3:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A good round up on the coronavirus on what we know, what we don't know, and what we can do personally to reduce contagion, from the BBC.

Coronavirus maps: A visual guide to the outbreak
By The Visual and Data Journalism Team BBC News
A fast-moving virus originating in China and known as the "new coronavirus" has infected tens of thousands of Chinese citizens and spread to more than 30 countries.

The respiratory infection which causes pneumonia-like symptoms has claimed nearly 3,000 lives so far - many more than the 774 killed in the 2003 Sars epidemic - and has been declared a global emergency by the World Health Organization (WHO).

South Korea has seen the largest number of cases outside China, while Italy has had the highest number in Europe.

These key maps and graphics will help you understand what is going on.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

DaveG wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:21 pm
sigmoid wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 pm I got busy and forgot to check in on this situation.

It was over 2000 a week or so ago. Obviously, the number of new cases and the death rate are dropping and the hysteria is coming to an end.

Vietnam now has NO Covid-19 infection cases left. The nation had declared the novel coronavirus outbreak an epidemic on February 1, and has recorded 16 infected cases in total, so far.

"Even though we have finished treating patients who've tested positive for the Covid-19 virus, we still have to monitor cases of suspected infection," said Nguyen Trong Khoa, deputy head of the Health Examination and Treatment Department.

Vietnam has recorded no new infection cases in the last 13 days.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 pm
DaveG wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:21 pm

It was over 2000 a week or so ago. Obviously, the number of new cases and the death rate are dropping and the hysteria is coming to an end.

Vietnam now has NO Covid-19 infection cases left. The nation had declared the novel coronavirus outbreak an epidemic on February 1, and has recorded 16 infected cases in total, so far.

"Even though we have finished treating patients who've tested positive for the Covid-19 virus, we still have to monitor cases of suspected infection," said Nguyen Trong Khoa, deputy head of the Health Examination and Treatment Department.

Vietnam has recorded no new infection cases in the last 13 days.
I am happy to hear that...Good news..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Side note, but spare a thought for...

I saw the doco "Killing Patient Zero" last night.
When AIDS first emerged reporters started asking the White House communications director about Ronald Reagan's response to 200 deaths from 600 cases. All they got for weeks were stupid dumb jokes about "no deaths here, no gays working in the White House" and "what are you on about?"

The death toll was 21,000 americans before Reagan first addressed the issue in public.
The death toll was 21,000 americans before Reagan first addressed the issue in public.

Sorry - that still does not compute in my brain.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

AIDS is a completely different creature. That disease intersected a politically powerful group (gays), in a politically correct state gone amok (California). Normal containment measures were verboten and considered discriminatory. Outbreaks subsequently turned into pandemics.

HIV meds were given the fast track, safety and efficacy be damned. Even today, the amount spent on AIDS research and medications far exceeds funding for other diseases that infect and kill many more people.

Is HIV a bad disease? Yes. Is it spread like the flu? No. Is it linked to a politically powerful group? No, unless one considered bats, pangolins, and mainland Chinese.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

It's been five weeks now since Wuhan went in lock down, with daily flights from Wuhan entering the KoW until that day. With a mean incubation time of 3-4 days (I know exceptional cases are suspected to have much longer incubation times, but the mean time is 3-4 days so that means 7 possible infection cycles since the lock down) you'd expect quite some ill people now, 35 days later.

Still, for some reason (warm? dry? loads of sunlight?) the virus simply doesn't seem to do so well in the tropics in this time of year. In the Northern Hemisphere - sure, it's popping up everywhere now, but in the tropics it seems it's mainly from travelers and massive spreading seems out of the order so far.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I am unsure the charges for other countries, BUT if its like Thailand and locals need pay these amounts
this thing will get seriously out of hand as people just cant afford this much to be tested.

Eight state-run and private hospitals offer medical and laboratory services for people infected with the COVID-19 virus or wishing to confirm whether they are or not.

Note that people confirmed as infected are transferred to specifically equipped facilities.
The fees charged are all under Bt15,000, but can be higher depending on risk of infection, which pertains to age and overall medical health.
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382908
....Still, for some reason (warm? dry? loads of sunlight?) the virus simply doesn't seem to do so well in the tropics in this time of year.
you tried this before but.....
REPORTED but how many are unreported/untested? (Laos, Burma, All of africa)
Singapore 93
Thailand 40
Australia 22
Vietnam 16
Philippines 3
India 3

47 countries and expanding everyday
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic