Portion size - wtf

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Portion size - wtf

Post by sigmoid »

It is exactly what you would expect to experience when visiting a failed state teetering on the verge of complete and utter economic, political and social collapse. :cry:

Thailand is the new Kampuchea.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Apparently the portion sizes aren't that big for the partners of Thai men either ;)
Dr Wanlop Piyamanotham, Psychologist and Adviser for the Human Development Project at Srinakharinwirot University recently told reporters that Thai marital problems are often related to penis size.

He also said that Thai men don’t understand women’s feelings, and that they think bigger means better in the bedroom. Men with smaller penises feel insecure about not being able to please their partners, and so this may lead men to look for other partners, he postulated.

Dr. Kawirat Thanthiwong, Urologist of Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University doesn’t agree. He believes that the average size of four inches isn’t considered small among Thais or Asians. The doctor added that size doesn’t affect sexual pleasure and that the survey is sensational.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-men-b ... X0bDB.dpuf
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

indigo_design wrote:Same here in SHV.

The restaurant owners have 3 choices

Smaller portions
Raise prices and watch the cheap charlie customers go to the place next door or
Go bust

Option 1 seems to be the way to go.
Still can get battered fish, chips and salad for $2 but you get 20 chips instead of 30 and the fish is getting smaller.
bah. They've cut portions, number of ingredients, size of ingredients and increased price such that you pay double what you used to.
THIRD OPTION
increase price a bit but increase portion and ingredients. A LOT of what we're talking about is rice or noodles, which are cheap. A lot of this is just plain greed. Some of it is the older ones giving the business to younger relatives that think they are smart and farang is STUPID.
I noticed this starting to happen about 4 yrs ago. Oftentimes if you eat away from farang areas you get a better price. And sometimes, very rare, better portion, and more ingredients. I got a really good meal (with my Thai gf) at some outta the way place for 30 baht. It would have made almost two 50 baht Bangkok meals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic