Weinstein Convicted

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Weinstein Convicted

Post by Mishmash »

Wow!!!

Never trust a man who can't grow a beard or tie his tie decently!!

He's facing a 25 stretch...

"Harvey Weinstein has been found guilty of sexual assaults, including rape, capping a stunning downfall for the former Hollywood mogul and a victory for the #MeToo movement.

Weinstein, 67, was convicted in New York City of third-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act.

He was cleared of the most serious count of predatory sexual assault. He faces up to 25 years in prison.

He still faces charges in Los Angeles of assaulting two women in 2013.

At least 80 women had accused him of sexual misconduct stretching back decades, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Salma Hayek.

The allegations were at the centre of the #MeToo movement that inspired women to go public with misconduct allegations against powerful men.

The movie executive once enjoyed phenomenal success with Oscar winners such Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting, The King's Speech and Shakespeare in Love."

Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Weinstein Convicted

Post by Marty »

The allegations were at the centre of the #MeToo movement that inspired women to go public with misconduct allegations against powerful men.

Powerful men. Grabbed them by the pussy. Who's next?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

There is a question ofproportionality in all these #metoo stuff. Rape is rape, but if groping is now illegal I want compensation for all the women that pinched my ares and grabbed my balls in clubs when i was younger. It really devalues the argument when women seem to apply different rules to themselves than to men, based on the sure knowledge that all me liked to be groped, snogged at the christmas party and all the other stuff that women doas part of the dating game. No idea what the answer is but if we have to get written permission witnessed by a alwyer who is present at the proceedings before we can try and kiss a memebr of a sex who we are attracted to then the human race is going to die out pretty damn quick.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

without condoning the sleazebag, what about the women who got roles they probably shouldn't have as result?
charge them with prostitution?
fraud?
receipt of stolen goods?

monstra mihi bona!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Am sure will get some shit for this but
it seems totally out of place to charge someone for something that took place so long ago and although it was/is totally wrong, was accepted practice back in the days.
Watch "the loudest voice in the room" and "Bombshell" about Roger Ailes of Fox
"casting couch" a well know phrase since the movies began.

Women have come a long ways since than..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Good news, at 67 I guess he's unlikely to see the light of day again. He doesn't look particularly healthy although obviously the zimmer frame was an act, can't see him surviving too long inside.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:21 am Good news, at 67 I guess he's unlikely to see the light of day again. He doesn't look particularly healthy although obviously the zimmer frame was an act, can't see him surviving too long inside.
Least his butt will remain intact, he is waaaay to ugly for even a wolf.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am without condoning the sleazebag, what about the women who got roles they probably shouldn't have as result?
charge them with prostitution?
fraud?
receipt of stolen goods?
I think you're talking about a different situation. Weinstein forced himself on these women, often with them absolutely unwilling - he has been convicted of rape, not just some 'he said, she said' sexual assault.

Are there women who have used their bodies to obtain roles or positions they might not otherwise have got? Absolutely. But let's not muddy the water here. Weinstein is a monster, and he deserves everything he got.
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:27 am Am sure will get some shit for this but
it seems totally out of place to charge someone for something that took place so long ago and although it was/is totally wrong, was accepted practice back in the days.
Watch "the loudest voice in the room" and "Bombshell" about Roger Ailes of Fox
"casting couch" a well know phrase since the movies began.

Women have come a long ways since than..
Can't agree sorry, different example but maybe brings it home - finding Nazi war criminals some 60 years after the events of the holocaust. Again, rape is a despicable crime, no way should we ever let that 'normalise' after a few decades. It's a crime that will remain serious even in a hundred years, so I don't see any reason to let it drop.

On the flip side I do see your argument on perhaps law changes that suddenly make people guilty of crimes that weren't crimes decades ago. For instance if the world raised the age of consent to 25 & all blokes who had ever dabbled on a 20 year old were suddenly fair game, I'd say then you can't really go back and prosecute, if the law at the time hadn't been broken.

@Cam Nivag probably has some legal eagle points on this?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:27 am it seems totally out of place to charge someone for something that took place so long ago and although it was/is totally wrong, was accepted practice back in the days.
Just say hypothetically something like this had happened to your daughter and she came to you years later and told you about it and the torment it had caused her, would you still feel the same way ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:21 am Good news, at 67 I guess he's unlikely to see the light of day again. He doesn't look particularly healthy although obviously the zimmer frame was an act, can't see him surviving too long inside.
If he was in Cambodia, he would go and stay in a confortable hospital indefinitely. Do they have deluxe suites for the very rich in the US ?

Anyway, good job. He is a nasty piece of work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic