Is Koh Rong's Police Beach Dangerous ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is Koh Rong's Police Beach Dangerous ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From "party beach" to "dangerous beach"...

January 25, 2020
Police Beach at Koh Rong a dangerous place for the faint hearted tourists

The much touted and often popular Police Beach, located at Koh Rong island is many things to different visitors.

However, many warn that it is a dangerous place for the unsuspecting and faint hearted tourists as well as families who may want to venture there for a holiday or a night out.

“Police Beach has gained notoriety with numerous guests, something which even local law enforcement officials and some employees can confirm. It has everything which should be avoided such as binge drinking, drug usage and selling, unwanted accosting, dangerous access routes and filthy accommodations.

“One only has to check the many reviews posted in the web to learn for themselves the danger which lurks there. The beach was a once popular thriving place for party goers or for those who sought rave parties. But that is now a thing of the past as all the things said above is the norm nowadays and this is tragic given the place’s potentials,” one reveler who had experienced one night at police beach before fleeing the very next day to the mainland told Khmer Times.

Police Beach hit world headlines for the wrong reasons last year when a British backpacker tourist, 21-year-old Amelia Bambridge, went missing after her first night at the beach. Her body was found close to Thai territorial waters after an extensive search on land and at sea which lasted for more than a week.

Many questions are still unanswered as to how her body was found floating in the sea more than 50 kms from where her backpack was found on some rocks and why there were no witnesses.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50683513/p ... d-tourists
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
dodiengdaga
Expatriate
Philippines

Re: Is Koh Rong's Police Beach Dangerous ?

Post by dodiengdaga »

Dangerous for unsupervised toddlers, yes. For sensible, or even half-sensible, non-totally retarded adults, no.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Everything is dangerous, even eating. Just google choking related accidental deaths.
And everything is poisonous, just Google LD50. Water is about 5.5 litres if my memory serves me correctly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Is Koh Rong Cambodia's Koh Tao ? Anonymous tourists and people on Trip Advisor speak up about the dangers of Police Beach, including lurking predators and starving cats.

55 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
Tourists lament lack of action on Police Beach in Koh Rong, despite tragedies

A number of tourists returning from Koh Rong, off Sihanoukville have lamented that despite many complaints – some very public like that from the brother of dead British girl Amelia Bambridge – police beach is still operating unhindered.

“It appears that they are well protected and if we may say so, are operating above the law since the owners are said to be associated or themselves the law,” a couple of tourists who returned to the mainland during the height of the Westerdam crisis said.

Speaking to Khmer Times, they echoed Harry Bambridge who had said: “There is a lot of things going on these islands, I received thousands of messages on social media about the safety of travelers.

“It is being brushed under the carpet, people may think they are safe but the real message is that it is not what you think it is.

“It looks like paradise when you see the beach but things go on behind the scenes which locals are not open about, they don’t want to ruin the tourism industry there.

“They won’t broadcast the fact that there are potential rapists on the island because no one would want to go.”

However, the couple affirmed that the lure of Koh Rong and police beach is simply irresistible for the highly adventurous tourists and travelers. The only safety net, they said, is to be in a group and have males in the group to protect themselves against predators who are said to be lurking in the police beach rave party areas.

Posts on travel site TripAdvisor has posts which states “Warning. Do not go there.:

Another posted “Rude staff. Rubbish food. Awkward vibe. Felt very unsafe. Would give a 0 if I could. Avoid at all costs!!! Whenever we spoke to staff they grunted. Loud acid trance till 6am weren’t told about this. Cats living in the bungalow with us at night and ate all my snacks.”

Even police officials who spoke in hushed tones about the goings on the beach said lived returned to normal with no further action or investigation nor clean up on the beach and other parts of the island after the British girl’s death.

It’s a shame, they insisted but unable to do anything about it for fear of reprisal.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50694573/t ... -tragedies
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cats living in the bungalow with us at night and ate all my snacks.
:lol: Well selected comment to illustrate the dangers that are lurking on Koh Rong. At least it wasn't rats.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Cats living in the bungalow with us at night and ate all my snacks.
:lol: Well selected comment to illustrate the dangers that are lurking on Koh Rong. At least it wasn't rats.
I’m more tempted to go now I know they have cats :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

No, it's totally safe because it's the Police Beach.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

There are potential rapists lurking everywhere, around places where young western women (and men too) go to get drunk & take drugs, putting themselves at high risk.

Remember on Occhy beach near the pier in Snooky 5-6 years ago, a young woman drank herself unconscious, fell asleep on the beach, putting herself in a very dangerous & vulnerable position of being attacked, which she was

You've got to use your brain & common sense when travelling & take are of yourself, especially if you're travelling alone, whether you're a man or a woman
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:42 pm Everything is dangerous, even eating. Just google choking related accidental deaths.
And everything is poisonous, just Google LD50. Water is about 5.5 litres if my memory serves me correctly.

I had a condition called nephrotic syndrome for a while. I also drink a lot of water because I have a few kidney stones. One of the tests for this condition involves supplying all your piss over a 24 hour period. You get a 5 liter jug for that. When I handed it in it was nearly full and the doc said: You drink too much water!

Treatment involves being on corticosteroids for a whole year, but thats a whole other story!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:46 pm No, it's totally safe because it's the Police Beach.
The most JB comment in CEO history sir.

Classic :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic