My first solo visa run

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: My first solo visa run

Post by phuketrichard »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 am You may need some hotel booking and return ticket on the Thai side. You say you are near retirement age, i think you can get the Cambodian retirement visa at 55 legally, but I know at least one person who got it at 50 so you might want to ask
bus/train tickets are not acceptable as proof of leaving thailand
with a accommodation booking, you should not have any problem, dress nice, smile

Why did u overstay? Seems like a really forgetful thing to do
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It wasn’t forgetful, it just couldn’t be helped. Please no lectures.

The travel agent gave me a flight confirmation with my name on it so I should be fine.

I’m sitting having a coffee at the border, filling in the paperwork then let’s see how I go.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:13 pm Tomorrow I’m doing my first visa run since becoming single.

I was on a one-year business visa but didn’t renew that (for various reasons) and so tomorrow I’m doing a run to Poipet.

The travel agent advised me to return on a one-month business visa which I can renew for a few months. I’m almost at retirement age, which will be fantastic. (One of the few benefits of aging!)

I’m taking a bus tomorrow first thing in the morning and was hoping to return to Siem Reap in the afternoon, my agent didn’t seem to think it would be an issue.

I’d appreciate any tips, thanks.
Ric was so sure I wouldn’t be able to handle the “visa stuff” on my own so I’d
Really like to prove him wrong ;)

I doubt that old age and being able to obtain a retirement is any advantage to you ,,,,, if you still want to work.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

So I’ve gone through the border with fake return flight details and a hotel booking online for Border Hotel( I didn’t pay anything upfront for that).

I had a coffee in Thailand and I’m now back in Cambodia.

I’ve opted to take a taxi home since I won’t be staying in a hotel.

I’ll be back in Siem Reap for lunch :)

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I have until March 24 - hopefully by then I can sort out a retirement visa.

I think the problem is no one believes I’m that old

Jokes aside - someone has given me the name of an agent in SR who they believe can sort it out for me.
Fingers crossed.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:23 am I have until March 24 - hopefully by then I can sort out a retirement visa.

I think the problem is no one believes I’m that old Image

Jokes aside - someone has given me the name of an agent in SR who they believe can sort it out for me.
Fingers crossed.
Are you going to give up working ? I thought you could not work on a retirement visa .
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

My first solo visa run

Post by rozzieoz »

Duncan I don’t have a job in Cambodia. I’ve never earned an income from anything I’ve been involved in here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:57 pm Duncan I don’t have a job in Cambodia. I’ve never earned an income from anything I’ve been involved in here.

Oh sorry , I got it all wrong then. Hey, hope you get that retirement visa, then you will be able to hang out with all us other oldies , sitting on bar stools all day, talking about the good old days and who you will will leave your fortune too in your will.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 am You may need some hotel booking and return ticket on the Thai side. You say you are near retirement age, i think you can get the Cambodian retirement visa at 55 legally, but I know at least one person who got it at 50 so you might want to ask
You can obtain the ER (Retirement) EOS at any age if you can justify and can provide the relevant supporting documentation and proof of sufficient funds. The youngest person I know to have obtained one is in his mid-twenties.

If aged 55+ and applied for via an agent, then you do not need to supply any supporting documentation or proof of funds...if aged 55+ and apply directly at the DoI Visa office then you need to provide proof of funds and supporting documentation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic