Cambodian Siblings Finally Reunited at 101, 96 and 92 Years of Age

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodian Siblings Finally Reunited at 101, 96 and 92 Years of Age

Post by rozzieoz »

Sweet Lemon wrote:
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:20 am That's so wonderful and also heart breaking that they didn't reunite so much sooner.
It's a testament to the laziness of Khmers that she never went back to village to see if they were there.
What a shitty, racist thing to say!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Sweet Lemon wrote:
Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:27 am
Sweet Lemon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:56 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:20 am That's so wonderful and also heart breaking that they didn't reunite so much sooner.
It's a testament to the laziness of Khmers that she never went back to village to see if they were there.
Please tell me that you are just trolling the forum, and not physically in the country trolling the locals, or us expats who have a genuine interest in being here
It's shitty journalism to report this story and not ask her why she didn't go back to her village in the last 47 years to see if they were there.
Read the story- that question is answered.

She was living on a garbage dump - I’m sure people were throwing away unused bus tickets every day and she was just too lazy to look for them.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:37 am
Please tell me that you are just trolling the forum, and not physically in the country trolling the locals, or us expats who have a genuine interest in being here
It's shitty journalism to report this story and not ask her why she didn't go back to her village in the last 47 years to see if they were there.
Shitty journalism or not, it does not excuse your response.

Which is worse?

A) poor journalism
B) outright bigotry
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Cambodian Siblings Finally Reunited at 101, 96 and 92 Years of Age

Post by rozzieoz »

C) White privilege
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Has to be one of the most soulless and downright nasty things I have seen on here in quite a while. Shame on you.

[Edited to remove my comment about bigotry, as it turns out, another member has highlighted that one already.]
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

many people do not care to return to the scens of traumatic events in their lives
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:04 am
many people do not care to return to the scens of traumatic events in their lives
And as previously pointed out by Rozzie, she lived on a garbage dump. Hardly conducive to earning the corn to pay for a visit back to her village. Still shaking my head at the crassness of SweetLemon's posts. Let's not just revel in the fact that the siblings were finally reunited and the joy that must have brought...
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

It is a touching story but I also wonder about the details of why they thought the others didn't survive.
I'm sure the reporter didn't want to ruin the moment by asking. Maybe there is one hell of a book waiting to be written by asking though.
Still here, in country...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:41 am It is a touching story but I also wonder about the details of why they thought the others didn't survive.
I'm sure the reporter didn't want to ruin the moment by asking. Maybe there is one hell of a book waiting to be written by asking though.
In any mass killings there is a lot of confusion about who died and who did not. Records of the deceased, if they exist at all, can have the wrng names on, or one survivor tells another that they saw someone shot and it was mistaken identity. I don't think its that uncommon in gencides from the holocaust to rwanda to extrajudicial killings in other countries
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic