Best Way To Get A Motorbike?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Best Way To Get A Motorbike?

Post by Electric Earth »

So you can register a moto if it's just new to Cambodia? Could I register a used bike from Vietnam or Thailand in my name? Do I need a Cambodian license to do that, or is it no problem as long as it's a small engine bike?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Electric Earth wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:46 pm So you can register a moto if it's just new to Cambodia? Could I register a used bike from Vietnam or Thailand in my name? Do I need a Cambodian license to do that, or is it no problem as long as it's a small engine bike?
No, only bikes sold at official dealers (Honda, Suzuki official dealers- not even franchises to my knowledge) are "New" & eligible to be registered to a foreigner.

Any second hand bike, even if brought over the border somehow & never seen previously must be registered to a Khmer.

Where's James Bong when you need him. :assasin:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Spigzy wrote:
Electric Earth wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:46 pm So you can register a moto if it's just new to Cambodia? Could I register a used bike from Vietnam or Thailand in my name? Do I need a Cambodian license to do that, or is it no problem as long as it's a small engine bike?
No, only bikes sold at official dealers (Honda, Suzuki official dealers- not even franchises to my knowledge) are "New" & eligible to be registered to a foreigner.

Any second hand bike, even if brought over the border somehow & never seen previously must be registered to a Khmer.

Where's James Bong when you need him. :assasin:
Not sure that's true Spigzy.
I'm 95% sure that 'warehouse' bikes. Ie second hand bikes that are imported and never previously registered in Cambodia can be registered in foreign name. I would have assumed a new, bought from franchise, bike could also be done as long as the franchisee hasn't already registered in his name.
Only 95% sure though...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Well, I'll research/try to register and update when I get to an answer. I'm probably buying a Vietnamese "Honda" Win on Saturday. I know they're supposed to be POS bikes, but it's pretty cheap and I want something to get me around town for now. The guy at the shop(Joe Bar Garage) claims it just had $120 worth of parts/work done and is currently in good working order and shouldn't break down soon. I think he has a pretty good reputation in Siem Reap, so hopefully the bike is solid. ...for now.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Has anyone got a copy of the relevant law on this subject?

I bought my moto Honda msx 125 in Kampong Cham and had it registered in my name.
2nd bike I have bought in Phnom Penh from a bike dealer 2nd hand with registration card of last owner, plate and tax paper, due to import.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:19 am
pczz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 am
Electric Earth wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:14 am
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:23 am There is a lot of confusion about this... so up to you
Out of curiosity, because this is my first motorbike here, how did you deal with the situation when they first pulled you over? I don't think there's any confusion about it. You definitely can't Legally have a bike if you're white. Living here, you know there are Tons of westerners riding around on motos. You'll likely get pulled over at some(or multiple) point. Douche-bags who function on racism and corruption/greed are facts of life, and they're more blatant about it here. I do have a pretty friendly face and work for a respectable school in town, so that will be helpful when I open my wallet to pull out my $5 bribe money and my school ID is right there.
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am Was the problem the fact you couldn't show the (ownership) card, or the fact the card was not in your name?
I could see this as being a problem.
WHen i was stopped it was because I couldnot show the ID card. My friend had an ID card but in his gf name.
The policeman was an awkward prick. he asked for the card and when i couldn't give it to him he made me park up the bike and said the owner would have to get it from police station in the morning. he then turned his back on me and refused to discuss it further. i had to communicate through his junior wingman. The ownere is a governemt official and after a brief phone call I was allowd to go after paying 2,500 riel
My friend was not so lucky. they refused $10 and he had to go get it from police station next day, where he was also charged 2,500 riel. pathetic fine really.You can legally have a buike but yu have to be the first person to register it, so it needs to be brand new or an unregistered import.
My normal reaction with the police is to apologise for being stupid and ask if he can help me as its my first time in Cambodia. they are usually so shocked at a whitey not shouting at them that they get helpful, but no this dickhead
I had a 250 Duke, and got stopped. It cost me $10 to get the guy to leave me alone. I played dumb, polite and smiley, and he was good with that.
$10! when they stopped my friend and asked for that he asked him for a receipt. price dropped very quickly :-)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

general-chatter/registering-moto-new-ru ... ml#p215245

.MOTO ANNOUNCEMENT

Due to many inquires from clients about registering motos in Phnom Penh, we have been to the ministry seeking further information.

A recent law has been passed that denies any foreigner from registering a moto in his/her name. It is no longer possible to become a registered owner of a used moto if you do not obtain Cambodian citizenship.
The only exception being, when foreigners purchase a brand new, or newly imported moto being registered for the first time.

If you have a spouse, partner or someone you trust, who is a Cambodian citizen, you may register in their name.
This being said, there is no current law that states you must be the registered owner of the vehicle you are driving.

If you require this service the following guidelines must be followed;

-The new owner’s Cambodian ID card must be from Phnom Penh
-The current registered owner must attend
-The seller must attend
-The current plate number must be from Phnom Penh
-Copies of buyer’s, seller’s and registered owner’s Cambodian ID cards must be submitted
-$30 application fee (applies for any moto, of any size)

The current Department of Public Works and Transportation office for completing this service is located in Chroy Changvar.
Here; https://goo.gl/maps/4FxreWxKVJS2
(Also, see attached picture of front entrance)

If you require us to help, we will start offering this service for a small service fee.

Feel free to inquire by contacting our Fb page. CNM Motors

This is from a previous post on the law, here it also states there is no law to be the registered owner.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

how are all these Barangs selling bikes on fb to other Barangs, IF it cant be put in their name?
Or are they all viet bikes ( see a lot of those)

BUT:
....there is no current law that states you must be the registered owner of the vehicle you are driving.
:thumb: :thumb:

so CNM can only help if its a PP based bike
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Barang A gives Barang B cash.
Barang B gives Barang A moto & ownership card.

Barang A gives ownership moto+card to trusted Khmer to register & have some level of comfort.
OR
Barang A doesn't give a monkeys uncle & just rides it without care if they get stopped & cleaned out of Hamiltons.

:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

Certainly when I enquired at the new bike dealership they just said "not without Khmai ID" and then ingnored me. No intention of selling me anything. I guess like anything in Cambodia, they do what they feel like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic