buying gold bullion bars abd coins in Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Georgina
Expatriate

buying gold bullion bars abd coins in Cambodia

Post by Georgina »

Vietnam and Indian powers that be (with monopoly on violence, i.e. the State) have financially penalized the purchase of gold and other 'luxuries'. They don't want to let the people decide whether they trust the fiat rupee and dong currencies. I bought a platinum weding ring in Bombay at what must have been 35% over spot. All of that wasn't manufacturer's fee, retailer's markup and prestige premium (it was a Tiffany's).

Cambodia is different, yes?

What I like about Cambodia is that money changers, like in Singapore can buy and sell for whatever the market will bear. The same is true for gold bullion here, yes?

So, do you buy your gold from jewellery shops or Sacom Bank? And is there a better place? I can wait a few weeks to buy in Bangkok or Hong Kong if seling prices exact too high a premium here. One thing I have noticed is that it is difficult to find 24K (9999 or even 999 pure) bars and especially jewellery. 22 karat and 975 seems to be more popular. When it comes to gold I am a purist and prefer bulluon from Canada and Australia. Who knows if shops here even sell the genuine article? What's more, in order to legally import into Singapore where I keep my stash the manufacturer has to be on the 'Good Delivery' list. Of course, no one is going to check, but I prefer to not smuggle.
"I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body. Girls, help me escape!"