Gout

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Gout

Post by Khmu Nation »

Do you get it? Got it this evening as I tucked into some red meat. In my feet. Not too bad. Any herbal remedies available here?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Gout

Post by Username Taken »

You need to lay off the red meat.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:37 pm Do you get it? Got it this evening as I tucked into some red meat. In my feet. Not too bad. Any herbal remedies available here?
A pal of mine who suffers/suffered(?) from gout, swears by fresh cherry juice. Drinks it as part of his breakfast every day, apparently. (I don't know if it is freshly squeezed/blitzed in a blender or how he prepares it, sorry.) Says it has "transformed his life". I can't vouch for it, I can only tell you his story. I know how much pain it used to cause him, so thought I would at least share his "remedy". Good Luck.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Sadly my friend has it rather badly and has found nothing that works except abstinence and real medication. My undertsanding is that gout is caused by excess uric acid and the triggers can include food but not necesarily, and different food can cause it in different people. Generally bad things include fuit juice and meat, so cherry juice shoud definitley not work, but that is the bugger about GOut, you need to identify your triggers. In my friends case it is alcohole. he eats steak amnd cheese and it has no effect, but a few heavy drinking sessions and he is floored
camborambo
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by camborambo »

For quick pain Relief buy colchicine and Diclofenac ,both easy available.
After you have to Take allupurinol.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Colchicine as a medicine for actual attacks.

Lots of Vitamin C as a preventative.
Vit-C naturally breaks down the acid crystals that cause Gout. I’ve been eating Oranges etc and rarely have any symptoms. For me, it’s a consequence of more serious issue a couple of years ago.

2-3 small oranges per day for breakfast.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:39 am Sadly my friend has it rather badly and has found nothing that works except abstinence and real medication. My undertsanding is that gout is caused by excess uric acid and the triggers can include food but not necesarily, and different food can cause it in different people. Generally bad things include fuit juice and meat, so cherry juice shoud definitley not work, but that is the bugger about GOut, you need to identify your triggers. In my friends case it is alcohole. he eats steak amnd cheese and it has no effect, but a few heavy drinking sessions and he is floored
I was very clear that I didn't vouch for it. It's just hearsay. OP was asking for herbal remedies as opposed to medical remedies, so offered my two pence worth. My friend is a meat eater and a heavy drinker (scotch if I recall correctly), and I think he narrowed it down to the booze. I should have made triggers a little clearer in my original post. (My apologies.) My friend now drinks only cider or beer, stays off the spirits. Cherry juice could be a wild coincidence, and I suppose I should have thought more and been more detailed in my original reply. I wasn't, because your post made me think more about the detail than I originally recalled. My lesson here is learned, and I shall cease and desist from any further medical mumbo-jumbo... :lol:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Look at the contents of bought / processed cherry juice and it will contain loads of sugar, but the answer is to change ones diet ,,,,, not just a little bit, but a lot.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

One popular natural treatment for gout flare-ups is cherry juice. Let’s take a look at how cherry juice can be used to manage gout symptoms.

How does cherry juice treat gout?
Cherry juice treats gout flare-ups by reducing the level of uric acid in the body. Since uric acid buildup is what causes gout, it only goes to reason that cherry juice could prevent or treat gout flare-ups.

A 2011 study noted that 100 percent tart cherry juice significantly reduced the level of serum uric acid levels in participants who drank 8 ounces of the juice every day for four weeks.

It’s not only cherry juice that could lower uric acid levels — cherry juice concentrate can also be beneficial for those with gout.

More here:
https://www.healthline.com/health/cherry-juice-for-gout
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

camborambo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:36 am.
After you have to Take allupurinol.
Up until such time as you die of allupurinol poisoning. It takes 15 years off your life. The only real solution to gout is to drink lots of water and avoid dark booze, like beer and red wine. Dry white wine and vodka and soda. Vit C certainly but you piss vit C out within an hour of you taking it, so it's small doses on a long term.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic