TEFL. Degree or no degree?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: TEFL. Degree or no degree?

Post by Marty »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:15 am
Marty wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:03 am He successfully taught without a degree and said TEFL is just a joke and a scam (no joke). Happy teaching to you!
He taught for a few weeks in a 5th tier school and was fired for gross incompetence. How is that successful?
OK I'll adjust my statement about NJH. He successfully got a job. Being a goofball made him lose that job. There is no way that the OP could possibly be as goofy. NJH was sui generis. The OP will be just fine, he sounds conscientious and is asking the right questions.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why did you postpone your degree? Did you realize you weren't interested in geography anymore, or was it something else? You can find a job, but it'll be a bit aimless in terms of pay and progression. It's fine if you set yourself a deadline (say, 6 months, one year), but the degree is what will open doors in your future. It's easy to get stuck in the degreeless tefl scene here, but I don't think it leads anywhere.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

You can work your way up the ladder or teach A Level etc without a degree. It depends on your level of education, demeanour and knowledge of the subjects.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Throughout the world, TEFL is a profit-driven industry. So, most schools/institutes that are hiring foreigners aren't that concerned about qualifications. Their first concern is to fill all their teaching positions with somebody (as in anybody). In this case, 'availability' is your main credential.

Next, is 'reliability and responsibility'. If you can actually show up close to the appointed time on a regular basis, wow, that's great! Being sober/not hungover or high is another important characteristic to demonstrate.

Then, if you're 'not boring', you're basically the teacher that school directors dream about.

The main point about a degree is that you will have more work options ("international" schools, colleges, unis, etc.) and higher pay and be able to work legally with a proper work permit and visa. The importance of this varies with each country, with less developed places not really concerned with enforcement.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 am You don't need a degree to teach in Cambodia or Laos. While some schools may ask for a degree it is simply a matter of presenting them with a piece of paper - no checks. So it could be fake.
The better places do check degrees and require transcripts.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Why do you want to compete a geography degree? I had a quick look at the lists of top earning degrees and geography doesn't even show up on one and is singled out on another as one of the worst. If you are really interested in the subject then fair enough but make sure you don't rack up £50k of debts in the process.

If I were you, I would book a 4 week holiday here and go on a school tour, hand out your CV, go a take some interviews and have a very good look at what you might be getting yourself into. Experience 35 degrees heat and rain that is biblical when your first see it, traffic that terrifies you, language that baffles you, sights that haunt you, smells that nauseate you, garbage piles that disgust you, cheap beer that lures you and girls that make it all better again.

This place is not for everybody. Try before you buy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-41693230
https://www.lovemoney.com/news/3981/the ... ty-degrees
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 am You don't need a degree to teach in Cambodia or Laos. While some schools may ask for a degree it is simply a matter of presenting them with a piece of paper - no checks. So it could be fake.
The better places do check degrees and require transcripts.
They don't in Laos. In fact you don't even need a degree - you would need a CELTA and experience though if this is the case.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:30 am Experience 35 degrees heat and rain that is biblical when your first see it, traffic that terrifies you, language that baffles you, sights that haunt you, smells that nauseate you, garbage piles that disgust you, cheap beer that lures you and girls that make it all better again.

He's 27 not 67. I don't think he is going to be scared of anything.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:30 am Experience 35 degrees heat and rain that is biblical when your first see it, traffic that terrifies you, language that baffles you, sights that haunt you, smells that nauseate you, garbage piles that disgust you, cheap beer that lures you and girls that make it all better again.

Wanna bet?

(And if you don't have a strong sense of fear over the traffic conditions here then it is just a matter of time before one of them will get you...)
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:51 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 am

Wanna bet?

(And if you don't have a strong sense of fear over the traffic conditions here then it is just a matter of time before one of them will get you...)
Yes he might be a snowflake. Although aren't they millenials? I don't think the traffic is so bad in PP - well not when compared to Saigon which, I agree, when the first time you have to cross a road is quite anxiety inducing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic