The Shift into Teaching...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The Shift into Teaching...

Post by Brody »

Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:53 pm
fazur wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:34 pm UK way better than US
Edited for truth
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:45 am
pczz wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:58 am
Yerg wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:39 am So, some may remember that quite some time back, I made a post about thinking about a late life change and moving in to teaching.

Well, I have quit the high salary/high stress lifestyle and returned to university to earn myself a degree. (To be fair, this has been an itch I have needed to scratch for quite some time since I left school at 17.) I have to pay due credence to the UK here, I have been able to avail of an £18k student loan (i.e. not my savings) to go back to school. (The first time I have ever used a government funding scheme in my entire life.) I was completely surprised how easy it was and how long I get to pay it back (interest free).

I took a school-based job so that I could earn a reasonable salary while I am working for my degree, and will also be volunteering at the same school to begin the earning of credits.

The next two years will be spent working, studying and probably summers in PP, earning my degree and moving in to teaching. So we are clear, it is my aim to teach in the UK. Just holiday in PP :beer1:

If there is any advice my learned CEO members wish to impart, I'd be glad to read it. Failing that, I look forward to a few summer weeks meeting up with some of you and enjoying a beer or two between modules. :hattip:
Student loans are expensive. Cheaper to tack it on your mortgage if you got one. Every time in the last 30 years i tried to o back to uni the damn government has changed the rules so idon't qualify. Now I am too old cos I will be retired when the degree finishes :-(
Fair enough pczz, but I'm perhaps not as old as you. I don't have a mortgage, so that's not really an option for me.

I begin to pay back when I earn over a certain level after my study period And it remains interest free. Not really sure why a mortgage would be a better option? Unless of course your mortgage pays you to borrow from them?

Alternatively, if I work abroad for 5 years after my loan, it gets written off. Not that I'll do that, because that would make me a welch upon my own society. And I wouldn't do that out of pure personal principal.
The main advantage of tacking it onto your mortgage if you have one is that the interets rate is lower and it is a secured loan on an appreciating assett.
If you take out a student loan the repayments reduce the amount of income you have and therefore affect how much mortgage you can get in the future. Also the oloan repayments may be higher than the extra salary you get from taking the course. it all depends on your personal circumstances. I was stuffed by the old grant system. i owned a house but wouldhave tomove to do the course, butthe income from my rent buggered any chance of getting grants. Capitla did not coulnt but income did. i could have soled the house and got a grant, whcih was not practicla at the time. Good luck
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Don't waste your time and money on a degree and a TEFL. Follow No Joke Howard's lead and successfully teach without all that extra nonsense. You'll be teaching kids that don't have a clue. When I teach I sometimes even speak English backwards and that ain't easy. They never even notice!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic