Water booster pump in Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Water booster pump in Phnom Penh?

Post by Duncan »

talltuktuk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:37 am
Duncan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 pm Note, the type I have shown has a minimum a maximum pressure switch built in, so you never need to turn it off or on. The pressure is maintained until some-one turns on a tap in the house, in which case the pressure in the tank drops and the pump starts . Turn your tap off and the pump will automatically stop when the pressure is reached in the pressure tank.
This is what I’m looking for. I don’t want to have to turn the pump on/off, I just want house water to work like normal. But in the event of the city water being shut off (maintenance work, line damage, etc.) I want the pump to be protected - I’d rather spend a few bucks now and not have to replace an entire pump later.
Also, with your setup, do you still have normal city water pressure when the power goes out?

Sorry, not 100 % sure , but in theory you should have.

I would think that you are renting this property ,, if so, get the landlord to sort it out,,, or move, as this low pressure issue is going to be a long term problem and getting worse in PP.

[ Quote ]
I just want house water to work like normal.

You already have the new normal for Cambodia. :plus1:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

I had a booster pump installed by the owner a few weeks ago. There is no need for a rooftop tank. The pump works on demand for water i.e when water is used in the house the pressure at the pump drops and the pump automatically starts up and pumps the water to all outlets in the house. If there is no electricity we are in the same state as before i.e. no water pressure and limited water available. If the water supply is turned off there is no water to pump and the pump will not start. Total cost of supply and install was US 160 ( I know this because I was asked to make a contribution to the cost)
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

Duncan wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:11 am
talltuktuk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:37 am
Duncan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 pm Note, the type I have shown has a minimum a maximum pressure switch built in, so you never need to turn it off or on. The pressure is maintained until some-one turns on a tap in the house, in which case the pressure in the tank drops and the pump starts . Turn your tap off and the pump will automatically stop when the pressure is reached in the pressure tank.
This is what I’m looking for. I don’t want to have to turn the pump on/off, I just want house water to work like normal. But in the event of the city water being shut off (maintenance work, line damage, etc.) I want the pump to be protected - I’d rather spend a few bucks now and not have to replace an entire pump later.
Also, with your setup, do you still have normal city water pressure when the power goes out?

Sorry, not 100 % sure , but in theory you should have.

I would think that you are renting this property ,, if so, get the landlord to sort it out,,, or move, as this low pressure issue is going to be a long term problem and getting worse in PP.

[ Quote ]
I just want house water to work like normal.

You already have the new normal for Cambodia. :plus1:
It’s not a rental, it’s my friend’s house. I’m trying to sort this for them as they don’t know how this stuff works. They can’t use 3/5 bathrooms because of this. Ultimately I’d love to put a tank on the roof as this is the best method. But they can’t afford it and we are going for the lowest cost solution that will allow them to regain functionality of all their bathrooms. The water only works upstairs some times of the day but it’s not reliable so they’ve just quit using them altogether. If this can be remedied with a cheaper booster pump, this is what I’m going for. I also want to make sure that if the power is out (as is often the case during dry season) the city water will still flow through the pump and they can at least use the lower bathrooms as they are doing now. It’s near Aeon Mall 2, the building is about 7 years old, it’s a row shophouse area.
Last edited by talltuktuk on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

jimpson wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am I had a booster pump installed by the owner a few weeks ago. There is no need for a rooftop tank. The pump works on demand for water i.e when water is used in the house the pressure at the pump drops and the pump automatically starts up and pumps the water to all outlets in the house. If there is no electricity we are in the same state as before i.e. no water pressure and limited water available. If the water supply is turned off there is no water to pump and the pump will not start. Total cost of supply and install was US 160 ( I know this because I was asked to make a contribution to the cost)
So if the power goes out, the water still flows through the pump? And if the city water supply shuts off, the pump won’t run? This is exactly what I want. Can you post or PM a pic of your pump setup or a model number perhaps?
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

jimpson wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am I had a booster pump installed by the owner a few weeks ago. There is no need for a rooftop tank.
yes there is.

April - no electricity, low river levels - municipal pump stations stop working.

no water, no electricity usually for half the day

@ op - get a big plastic bucket 100 liter fill it when you have water. in fact get two or three
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

fazur wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:48 pm
jimpson wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am I had a booster pump installed by the owner a few weeks ago. There is no need for a rooftop tank.
yes there is.

April - no electricity, low river levels - municipal pump stations stop working.

no water, no electricity usually for half the day

@ op - get a big plastic bucket 100 liter fill it when you have water. in fact get two or three
Ideally a huge tank (or 2) on the roof would be the best option. But they are used to the water/power cuts and aren’t able to spend the money it would require to install the type of system my engineering brain wants to install. If money was no object then this wouldn’t even be a discussion. I’m trying find the best solution for the least amount of money. Our budget is <$150. If I can get a decent booster pump for this (as several people say is possible) then they would be ecstatic and I would be satisfied. They would continue to deal with the dry season power/water cuts with buckets but outside of those times they would at least be able to use all of their bathrooms as they were designed.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

But the simplest way would be to get PPWater Authority to boost the water pressure at nights.

Do we always have to go to the top and ask HE to get something done or do we buy shares in PPWA and as shareholders complain to the board of directors.

Maybe asking too much as everyone is busy working on the rubbish collection problem.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

In response to Tailtuktuk,

When I am back in Phnom Penh at the weekend I will take a photograph and post it OR if I fail to get the picture on the forum I will send you a PM with the details of the pump and you can give me an e-mail address to send the pictures and details to you.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

1. don't buy a pump: it presupposes a healthy water supply from which to access 24-hours a day and is expensive

2. buckets. big ones.

3. relocate
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fazur wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm 1. don't buy a pump: it presupposes a healthy water supply from which to access 24-hours a day and is expensive

2. buckets. big ones.

3. relocate

4, Get on facebook and :stir: :stir: :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic