Metfone sim card

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Metfone sim card

Post by Jcml19 »

Any ideas how to keep a sim card from metfone active? I'm tired of buying new sim cards when i travel to and from se asia.

Everytime i over extend my stay in thai i always have tp buy a new metfone. Went to the faq on metfone and it was not helpful in this area.. not to be greedy, but what is metfone super exchange program?

Anyone ever use the super exchange program?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Metfone sim card

Post by Spigzy »

Buy a Smart SIM, use XtraLong plan. (180 days) - can top up via SmartNas app via Visa/MC/UnionPay to keep it ticking over whilst overseas.

https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/plans/xtralong/
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

kept my metfone alive just by toping up. if you have a Khmer bank account with ACLEDA or ABA install the app and use it to topup your card while you are away. iy you are on monthly prepay then a topup last 1 month. if you top up as you goyou need to top up $1 or $2 evey 2 weeks
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

CharlieD wrote:Buy a one no from your country and get a access of International services in that you will not face any problem.
International services is $10/day for me. Using it once during the day is still a full day’s charge. Buying a local SIM or keeping it topped up still works out much cheaper.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Post by BigDee »

Spigzy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:51 pm Buy a Smart SIM, use XtraLong plan. (180 days) - can top up via SmartNas app via Visa/MC/UnionPay to keep it ticking over whilst overseas.

can you transfer a Metfone number to smart do you know?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

No, there is no number portability in Cambodia.

You can check if a number is available on Smart here: https://getmynumber.smart.com.kh/login

So you could get away with say having 012168168 on Cellcard, and then see if 010168168 is available on Smart - this is the easiest way to have a number that folks can fairly easily remember whilst number porting is not an option.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Spigzy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:51 pm Buy a Smart SIM, use XtraLong plan. (180 days) - can top up via SmartNas app via Visa/MC/UnionPay to keep it ticking over whilst overseas.

Thanks for mentioning that! I currently have a Cellcard SIM card, but keeping it alive is a pain as I spend most of my time outside Cambodia. As a result, I now have a balance of almost $100 and I just don't have enough usage to drain it. I'll probably switch to Smart.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Do Cellcard still have some kind of balance exchange program? I recall back in the old days that folks would transfer their balance to another number (a dealer), and the dealer would give some kind of discount on the value. i.e. you give him your $100 balance, and he gives you $80 cash. Long shot, but worth a dig as it covers a round of beers at least! :)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm Do Cellcard still have some kind of balance exchange program? I recall back in the old days that folks would transfer their balance to another number (a dealer), and the dealer would give some kind of discount on the value. i.e. you give him your $100 balance, and he gives you $80 cash. Long shot, but worth a dig as it covers a round of beers at least! :)
Interesting! Something else to check out, thanks for this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic