Water booster pump in Phnom Penh?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Water booster pump in Phnom Penh?

Post by khmerhamster »

Cooldude wrote:What happens when you want the water on the 3rd floor and there is no water at the mains to pump because it's been turned off?
In that case the pump goes into its backup role and starts burning hydrogen to create water.

No water obviously means nothing to pump. The most common issue here is weak water supply, not no water supply. But if you have a water tank on the roof surely you don't need to pump from it? Gravity is your friend.
My office building has a roof tank, and we pump water to the tank not from it.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:23 pm What happens when you want the water on the 3rd floor and there is no water at the mains to pump because it's been turned off?
Most places have a supply tank on the top level. This water gravitates down to all taps etc in the house.

The water pressure is usually strong enough to get to the supply tank and fill it up. This usually occurs at night.

If there is no pressure ,,,or when the water supply authority turn off the water to your house,,,, you still have water to all taps in your house ,,,, from the rooftop supply tank, until it is all gone.

If there is water to your house , but not enough pressure to go up and fill your supply tank,,, Then you need a booster pump.

So simple if you think about it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

The OP here never mentioned having a water tank on his 3rd floor. Otherwise, this whole thread would never had taken place.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

There’s no tank. I’m trying to determine if a simple booster pump would solve the problem. They are super common in Taiwan - there’s water to the door, just not enough pressure to reach the upper floors. If the water won’t reach the 3rd floor, then it certainly won’t reach a rooftop tank so I’ll need a pump anyway. If I have to get a pump regardless, I’d rather just pay for the pump and not a tank.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

talltuktuk wrote:There’s no tank. I’m trying to determine if a simple booster pump would solve the problem. They are super common in Taiwan - there’s water to the door, just not enough pressure to reach the upper floors. If the water won’t reach the 3rd floor, then it certainly won’t reach a rooftop tank so I’ll need a pump anyway. If I have to get a pump regardless, I’d rather just pay for the pump and not a tank.
Short answer is yes.
A pump by itself would be sufficient. Its what I have at my house. I think around 70 quid.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

talltuktuk wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:43 pm There’s no tank. I’m trying to determine if a simple booster pump would solve the problem. They are super common in Taiwan - there’s water to the door, just not enough pressure to reach the upper floors. If the water won’t reach the 3rd floor, then it certainly won’t reach a rooftop tank so I’ll need a pump anyway. If I have to get a pump regardless, I’d rather just pay for the pump and not a tank.

If you have no tank on the upper level , you need something with a small reservoir. like this .
Expensive,, And can it be put where no-one can steal it ?

Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Note, the type I have shown has a minimum a maximum pressure switch built in, so you never need to turn it off or on. The pressure is maintained until some-one turns on a tap in the house, in which case the pressure in the tank drops and the pump starts . Turn your tap off and the pump will automatically stop when the pressure is reached in the pressure tank.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:23 pm What happens when you want the water on the 3rd floor and there is no water at the mains to pump because it's been turned off?
Thats why you buy one with a cutoff. at any time some idiot can cut through the main instaling new drains or whatever, but in Most of the barang areas of PP their is water but just not enough pressure. In my place the pump is on all night and has been for at least 6 months. i havewarned the landlord frequetnyl that he shudl have a cutoff, but the plumber keeps tellin him he doesnt need one. another house fire on its way....
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

If it helps, I have a couple of pals in PP who could help resolve this in a very short time for you. PM me for their number, and I'll happily make the intro.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

Duncan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 pm Note, the type I have shown has a minimum a maximum pressure switch built in, so you never need to turn it off or on. The pressure is maintained until some-one turns on a tap in the house, in which case the pressure in the tank drops and the pump starts . Turn your tap off and the pump will automatically stop when the pressure is reached in the pressure tank.
This is what I’m looking for. I don’t want to have to turn the pump on/off, I just want house water to work like normal. But in the event of the city water being shut off (maintenance work, line damage, etc.) I want the pump to be protected - I’d rather spend a few bucks now and not have to replace an entire pump later.
Also, with your setup, do you still have normal city water pressure when the power goes out?
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic