Best Way To Get A Motorbike?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Best Way To Get A Motorbike?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Best route on this is to get the ownership card transferred to a trusted Khmer you know.
@Spigzy is there any issue getting this done without the original owner of the card involved or sale document? Presumably that is done out at the motor registry place and not at Aeon 2?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:25 am
Best route on this is to get the ownership card transferred to a trusted Khmer you know.
@Spigzy is there any issue getting this done without the original owner of the card involved or sale document? Presumably that is done out at the motor registry place and not at Aeon 2?
Sorry I don't know in this case - my brother-in-law had to go and register the bike as it had been brought in by a Khmer with no paperwork at all. So in this case could only be registered by a Khmer, and a few different hoops to jump through on why it hadn't gone through the proper route. All in cost me a couple of hundred bucks to grease the right wheels at the registry, plus the import tax which was a few hundred on top.

My understanding of vehicle transfer is simply to obtain the vehicle registration card from the previous owner; that's what I did with the car & I guess bikes are no different. But it does beg the question about stolen vehicles where the vehicle ownership card is accidentally left inside, surely that approach makes them easy to simply re-register & legitimise? A bit like that thread about the Mini Cooper?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:09 am
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:25 am
Sorry I don't know in this case - my brother-in-law had to go and register the bike as it had been brought in by a Khmer with no paperwork at all. So in this case could only be registered by a Khmer, and a few different hoops to jump through on why it hadn't gone through the proper route. All in cost me a couple of hundred bucks to grease the right wheels at the registry, plus the import tax which was a few hundred on top.

My understanding of vehicle transfer is simply to obtain the vehicle registration card from the previous owner; that's what I did with the car & I guess bikes are no different. But it does beg the question about stolen vehicles where the vehicle ownership card is accidentally left inside, surely that approach makes them easy to simply re-register & legitimise? A bit like that thread about the Mini Cooper?
Yeah, sure sounds like a good idea but I wondered too about the bolded bit above.. thks
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Long as you have the card AND a bill of sale you are good to go. Mine stay locked in safe. Been driving here for 15 years and have never been asked for a rego. Get a 125 cc moto and you dont need a license.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I was thinking about getting a moto too so the other day I went into the honda dealership and was told they can't sell a new bike to a foreigner. They need Khmai ID to sell. So that stuffed that idea up but maybe other shops ignore that rule!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Roadie wrote:I was thinking about getting a moto too so the other day I went into the honda dealership and was told they can't sell a new bike to a foreigner. They need Khmai ID to sell. So that stuffed that idea up but maybe other shops ignore that rule!
You've probably misunderstood.
A new (or new to Cambodia) bike can be registered in foreign name.

Some places give free registration when you buy a new bike but the free registration is only available to Khmer. Foreign registration costs something like $70, compared to something like $12.50 for Khmer.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:14 am
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:23 am There is a lot of confusion about this... so up to you
Out of curiosity, because this is my first motorbike here, how did you deal with the situation when they first pulled you over? I don't think there's any confusion about it. You definitely can't Legally have a bike if you're white. Living here, you know there are Tons of westerners riding around on motos. You'll likely get pulled over at some(or multiple) point. Douche-bags who function on racism and corruption/greed are facts of life, and they're more blatant about it here. I do have a pretty friendly face and work for a respectable school in town, so that will be helpful when I open my wallet to pull out my $5 bribe money and my school ID is right there.
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am Was the problem the fact you couldn't show the (ownership) card, or the fact the card was not in your name?
I could see this as being a problem.
WHen i was stopped it was because I couldnot show the ID card. My friend had an ID card but in his gf name.
The policeman was an awkward prick. he asked for the card and when i couldn't give it to him he made me park up the bike and said the owner would have to get it from police station in the morning. he then turned his back on me and refused to discuss it further. i had to communicate through his junior wingman. The ownere is a governemt official and after a brief phone call I was allowd to go after paying 2,500 riel
My friend was not so lucky. they refused $10 and he had to go get it from police station next day, where he was also charged 2,500 riel. pathetic fine really.You can legally have a buike but yu have to be the first person to register it, so it needs to be brand new or an unregistered import.
My normal reaction with the police is to apologise for being stupid and ask if he can help me as its my first time in Cambodia. they are usually so shocked at a whitey not shouting at them that they get helpful, but no this dickhead
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:15 pm
Roadie wrote:I was thinking about getting a moto too so the other day I went into the honda dealership and was told they can't sell a new bike to a foreigner. They need Khmai ID to sell. So that stuffed that idea up but maybe other shops ignore that rule!
You've probably misunderstood.
A new (or new to Cambodia) bike can be registered in foreign name.

Some places give free registration when you buy a new bike but the free registration is only available to Khmer. Foreign registration costs something like $70, compared to something like $12.50 for Khmer.
I registered a new 125 Click no problem. And it was free. That was in 2018.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

pczz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 am
Electric Earth wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:14 am
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:23 am There is a lot of confusion about this... so up to you
Out of curiosity, because this is my first motorbike here, how did you deal with the situation when they first pulled you over? I don't think there's any confusion about it. You definitely can't Legally have a bike if you're white. Living here, you know there are Tons of westerners riding around on motos. You'll likely get pulled over at some(or multiple) point. Douche-bags who function on racism and corruption/greed are facts of life, and they're more blatant about it here. I do have a pretty friendly face and work for a respectable school in town, so that will be helpful when I open my wallet to pull out my $5 bribe money and my school ID is right there.
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am Was the problem the fact you couldn't show the (ownership) card, or the fact the card was not in your name?
I could see this as being a problem.
WHen i was stopped it was because I couldnot show the ID card. My friend had an ID card but in his gf name.
The policeman was an awkward prick. he asked for the card and when i couldn't give it to him he made me park up the bike and said the owner would have to get it from police station in the morning. he then turned his back on me and refused to discuss it further. i had to communicate through his junior wingman. The ownere is a governemt official and after a brief phone call I was allowd to go after paying 2,500 riel
My friend was not so lucky. they refused $10 and he had to go get it from police station next day, where he was also charged 2,500 riel. pathetic fine really.You can legally have a buike but yu have to be the first person to register it, so it needs to be brand new or an unregistered import.
My normal reaction with the police is to apologise for being stupid and ask if he can help me as its my first time in Cambodia. they are usually so shocked at a whitey not shouting at them that they get helpful, but no this dickhead
I had a 250 Duke, and got stopped. It cost me $10 to get the guy to leave me alone. I played dumb, polite and smiley, and he was good with that.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have always bought my motos new from Suzuki World on Highway 6. Around $1600 ($2000+ for the equivalent Honda). Perhaps not the cheapest way but good service and I know the owner well. The motos have always been reliable and still look new after several years. Honda is more suitable for driving in the countryside. Suzuki I think is better around town because more power due to higher revving engine. Buying second hand can be risky.

I knew someone in the motor registry who offered to take care of all registration (for foreigner) for $90 but I decided to register in a Khmer name as its easier and quicker. As long as you have physical possession of the card its no problem.

Unlike others I have always found the police to be very friendly. I have only been stopped a couple of times years ago and never had to pay or show anything. Having a friend in the police perhaps helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic