Online English teacher wanted

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Online English teacher wanted

Post by willyhilly »

My partner has been going to English lessons at TAFE for a long time with little good result. I think she has learning difficulties and maybe is deaf as well.
The answer might be lessons from a Khmer speaker online from Cambodia. A woman preferably who could go a regular spot several times a week.
There used to be a young lady in SR who gave Khmer lessons. She was called Sophoan or Sophorn. She might be ideal if she was still in business. She’s probably married with five kids now and living on the Gold Coast
Anyone have any ideas. It could be a good long term gig for a Khmer.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Online English teacher wanted

Post by Username Taken »

I think you'd be better getting someone in FNQ than a Khmer from anywhere.
Also, as I understand, the TAFE free lessons can be taken over whatever period of time the student wants. (i.e Once a week, every day, etc.) Might be better if she increases the frequency of lessons and Khmer language is banned at home.

In addition, she probably hasn't been studying anything for a long time, so you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:20 pm My partner has been going to English lessons at TAFE for a long time with little good result. I think she has learning difficulties and maybe is deaf as well.
The answer might be lessons from a Khmer speaker online from Cambodia. A woman preferably who could go a regular spot several times a week.
There used to be a young lady in SR who gave Khmer lessons. She was called Sophoan or Sophorn. She might be ideal if she was still in business. She’s probably married with five kids now and living on the Gold Coast
You think she might be deaf?? Surely you know she is or is not.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Your partner may have problems understanding Australian english. Maybe she needs someone who speaks slowly and enunciates clearly at least until she gets used to it. I have seen a newsreader on Australia Plus called Carina Carvalho who speaks very well. If she is on tv in Australia watch her. Possibly easy to learn if you are watching film at the same time.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Why online? I’d say a one on one face to face lesson is a lot less scary.

If she has difficulty learning remove as many barriers as you can. The online thing probably is a barrier for her.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:20 pm My partner has been going to English lessons at TAFE for a long time with little good result. I think she has learning difficulties and maybe is deaf as well.
Lol more like selective hearing. Try banning khmer in the house, only english with the kids.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Thanks for the advice. TAFE teaching is useless, it pretty well learning by rote. The kids learnt phonics, that’s the only way. When I say deaf I actually mean hearing impaired. I just got hearing aids and the tests one goes through are extensive with graphs on the screen showing which frequencies are affected and the difference between the ears.
I think now it’s more likely she has an ABI. I heard it discussed on the radio the other day. An ABI is an acquired brain injury whether through drugs alcohol or a blow to the head. 70% of jail inmates have it, it explains my life pretty well. I know I was dropped on my head as a baby and I always thought that there was something wrong with the wiring in my head. I was a criminal from a very early age!
In my partners case it could be a blow to the head from a moto accident or more likely her alcoholism.
Speaking only English at home is the best way. The little one speaks no Khmer now but understands mum. Her Khmer vocabulary is worse than mine! The elder one is still fluent. But mum would never agree to only speaking English. I still think a Khmer teacher online is the go. These people spend all their free time online. The kids on TikTok, Instagram and YouTube. Mum watching Thai movies on Khmer TV.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

just give up and accept your plight....
you can't force her to learn...
You are wasting your time.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic