To recline the seat or not? One of the great debates of flying

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: To recline the seat or not? One of the great debates of flying

Post by franzjaeger »

I tried premium economy, and the drinks were free, so the guy behind me got so drunk, he was talking all the time, I couldn't enjoy my fancy seat.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

I try to select my seats in a long flight that I know will give me the easiest ride. That being said, I consider, after 50 years of flying, a journey by air somewhere to be the equivalent of a root canal without novocaine while holding an enema, in other words, a circle of hell that would make even Dante speechless.

That further being said, I know my fellow passengers are suffering equally. Therefore, it is incumbent upon me to not make the situation worse. So I try to cooperate. I think most people do. I realize that the world is infested with assholes so I understand that folks are going to misbehave, but overreacting or even reacting sometimes doesnt help. Just get me the hell off this flying petri dish as soon as possible.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

In economy the seats recline so minimally I don't know why they bother at all. I would be fine if they were fixed in position, tbh.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 pm In economy the seats recline so minimally I don't know why they bother at all. I would be fine if they were fixed in position, tbh.
In some operators, they’ve removed the recline function completely. Makes for lighter weight, lower maintenance seats and passengers can gain almost half an inch of legroom.

I recline; if I manage to fall asleep at all, and I’m not reclined, I get a bad neck from having my head lolling forwards. But any short haul/low cost economy, and an increasing amount of business class, air travel these days is simply a miserable experience in some way. I do far too much positioning around on budget airlines and resent it. There’s a small group of us now that employ Eurostar for getting back and forth between trips.

If the seat has a recline function, that’s its purpose, tempered by a little basic civility. But in general, it’s the civility, the respect for fellow travellers (lack of) that is the issue. Passengers crammed in, 200 in one plane, it only needs 0.5% of them to start things going downhill.
Just watching the feral animal behaviour of otherwise ‘civilised’ Human beings travelling in planes makes one wonder about our future.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:28 pm If the seat has a recline function, that’s its purpose, tempered by a little basic civility. But in general, it’s the civility, the respect for fellow travellers (lack of) that is the issue. Passengers crammed in, 200 in one plane, it only needs 0.5% of them to start things going downhill.
Just watching the feral animal behaviour of otherwise ‘civilised’ Human beings travelling in planes makes one wonder about our future.
Well said! :thumb:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:16 pm On another note - I wish they would offer flights with no kids under 10.
I’d pay more for the “no screaming baby” option.
The Japanese airlines JAL and ANA have "warning signs" on their seat maps, which locate where children are sitting, so you can choose to sit as far away as possible.
post366821.html?hilit=ANA#p366327
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The seats used to recline a lot further back last century..

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Opinion piece says:
This isn't a debate about seat reclining. It's a debate about entitlement. It's a debate about rage. You can call it air rage if you want, but it's mostly male rage. It's men who think they're entitled to certain things and become aggressive when they don't get them.
https://www.traveller.com.au/reclined-s ... ong-h1lvde
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The seats are designed to occupy a certain space from fully upright to fully reclined, which the person sitting in the seat is fully entitled to use as they have paid for the seat

That space does not belong to the person behind at all, no matter what they think their entitlement is

If they don't like reclining seats, then they either should sit in bulkhead seats with nobody in front of them or use airlines that don't have reclining seats

Obviously all seats should be upright at take-off, landing & during meal services
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Recline as far as it allows.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic