Is Cambodia a LGBT Friendly/ Anti community?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chariska
Tourist

Is Cambodia a LGBT Friendly/ Anti community?

Post by Chariska »

:color
Hello everyone!

I would like to pop a quick question re the LGBT community in Cambodia.
I absolutely respect other religions and other believes re being gay, but my concern is how the community handles LGBT's and if it will be a difficult adjustment for being gay in Cambodia?

Will be arriving in Phnom Penh on the 6th of March 2020 and I'd rather be prepared than surprised & uncomfortable!

Thank you!
Regards
:wave:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is Cambodia a LGBT Friendly/ Anti community?

Post by Spigzy »

Friendly. With a big F.

I think you’ll only struggle if you’re getting down to business on a temple or outside the Prime Minister’s house; everywhere else accepting from my observation even 15 years ago.

There are many LGBT venues also, clubs, bars & the like, can’t say I’m an expert, so I’ll let @Brody complete the assessment.

:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

As Spigzy says, very friendly no issues, in fact the only time any of my LGBT friends have received any issue it was from some meat-headed westerners. I don't think there is much geared specifically towards the "L" cohort of LGBT, but Space Bar on 136, Blue Chilli on 178 in Phnom Penh and Barcode in Siem Reap are the main gay bars and very welcoming for females. some relevant up to date info here https://theculturetrip.com/asia/cambodi ... -cambodia/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Chariska wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 pm :color
Hello everyone!

I would like to pop a quick question re the LGBT community in Cambodia.
I absolutely respect other religions and other believes re being gay, but my concern is how the community handles LGBT's and if it will be a difficult adjustment for being gay in Cambodia?

Will be arriving in Phnom Penh on the 6th of March 2020 and I'd rather be prepared than surprised & uncomfortable!

Thank you!
Regards
:wave:
This thread is a collection of all sorts of items on gay Cambodia that have been in the news or on social media. It should be an interesting read for you:
cambodian-culture-and-language/gay-camb ... ia#p171552
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Think there has been a subtle shift over the years. Girls were not that keen on ladyboys when I first go here, maybe cometition, not sure, but they seem much more relaxed about it now. they even share hairdressers without scowling at the wait. Definitley seeing more tomdi couples arund. not quite wearing the "uniform" they do in thailand but close. Certainly think its no worse than in many western countries Icould name where LGBT people are beaten up on buses and trains, not mentioning the UK by name of course
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:20 pm I think you’ll only struggle if you’re getting down to business on a temple or outside the Prime Minister’s house
... or if you're the girlfriend of the PM's lesbian daughter and she wants to bring you for a sleepover. ;)
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Alex wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am
Spigzy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:20 pm I think you’ll only struggle if you’re getting down to business on a temple or outside the Prime Minister’s house
... or if you're the girlfriend of the PM's lesbian daughter and she wants to bring you for a sleepover. ;)
Especially if you've driven a BMW through the wall to get there!! :beer3:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic