“I am a bad English teacher”

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: “I am a bad English teacher”

Post by Lost50 »

Don't let her learn English, she'll use it to speak to other guys. Best Khmer woman is one that does not learn English ..... or so I was once told.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Why is she still attending the class?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Maybe he meant 'bad' ebonically.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

ACE has a reputation of being one the best of the second tier schools. So the others are probably a lot worse. She wants to save money for land and house and not spend it on ISPP or Northbridge. She also doesn’t want to move elsewhere and go through retesting and placement, possibly at a lower level and would take more semesters to finish. It’s almost at the end, only a few more semesters left before taking the IELTS, although the exam results aren’t recognized in the states. Youtube has been her primary teacher this semester. Maybe they can split the teaching fees with ACE.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 am ACE has a reputation of being one the best of the second tier schools. So the others are probably a lot worse. She wants to save money for land and house and not spend it on ISPP or Northbridge. She also doesn’t want to move elsewhere and go through retesting and placement, possibly at a lower level and would take more semesters to finish. It’s almost at the end, only a few more semesters left before taking the IELTS, although the exam results aren’t recognized in the states. Youtube has been her primary teacher this semester. Maybe they can split the teaching fees with ACE.
I'm fairly certain that IELTS scores have been accepted in the USA for about the last decade or so, although it may be up to the discretion of the individual organization or institute.

From wikipedia:

"IELTS is accepted by most Australian, British, Canadian, Irish and New Zealand academic institutions, by over 3,000 academic institutions in the United States, and by various professional organisations across the world."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 am ISPP or Northbridge. She also doesn’t want to move elsewhere and go through retesting and placement, possibly at a lower level and would take more semesters to finish. It’s almost at the end, only a few more semesters left before taking the IELTS, although the exam results aren’t recognized in the states.
Who said anything about changing schools?

Be a man and talk to Admin about the issues you're having with the school you're already paying money for her to attend.

You're doing yourself, your wife and ACE a disservice by allowing this to go unchallenged.

ISPP and Northbridge are schools for primary and secondary students, no? Do they even offer programs for adults?

"Only a few more semesters"? That's not "almost the end", brother.

So you're paying money for subpar teaching and an IELTS test that won't be recognized in the Country where you presumably plan to relocate your wife?

Man, you sound like a mark. Whilst were bullshitting, I've got some sweet ocean front property in Owensboro, Kentucky....I'll sell it to you for pennies on the dollar. Hit me up! :thumb:
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Duncan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:50 pm English teachers speak too fast for their students to absorb the words. It's,,,,,, best,,,,,, to,,,,,,,,,, speak,,,,,, slowly,,,,,,,,

Dontspeakfastlikethis.
No. Obviously you need to use graded language and appropriate speed of speech for each class. And you'll never speak nearly full speed to lower level classes. But, speaking at turtle pace forever doesn't help in the long run. That's how you end up with students who just finished the upper-intermediate class, are great on paper with grammar, etc, but can't understand what your average westerner is saying. Slow speech also results in learners always speaking the way we write, which is actually a bad thing. Do you pronounce every word and letter when you speak? Of course not. I bet you $1,000 you say the word "a" as "uh" or something that resembles "Doew wanna go da thuh movies?" not "Do you want to go to the movies?" Speaking at a pace appropriate for the class and speeding that pace up slightly at times to challenge their ears is a good thing. Obviously you do that at the appropriate times and don't rush through directions on a worksheet or when learning meanings of vocabulary, etc, but when it's not as important, it's good to speak a little more quickly(normally) and let their brains develop.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:51 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:50 pm English teachers speak too fast for their students to absorb the words. It's,,,,,, best,,,,,, to,,,,,,,,,, speak,,,,,, slowly,,,,,,,,

Dontspeakfastlikethis.
No. Obviously you need to use graded language and appropriate speed of speech for each class. And you'll never speak nearly full speed to lower level classes. But, speaking at turtle pace forever doesn't help in the long run. That's how you end up with students who just finished the upper-intermediate class, are great on paper with grammar, etc, but can't understand what your average westerner is saying. Slow speech also results in learners always speaking the way we write, which is actually a bad thing. Do you pronounce every word and letter when you speak? Of course not. I bet you $1,000 you say the word "a" as "uh" or something that resembles "Doew wanna go da thuh movies?" not "Do you want to go to the movies?" Speaking at a pace appropriate for the class and speeding that pace up slightly at times to challenge their ears is a good thing. Obviously you do that at the appropriate times and don't rush through directions on a worksheet or when learning meanings of vocabulary, etc, but when it's not as important, it's good to speak a little more quickly(normally) and let their brains develop.
Interesting. Are You From England?
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

No. The US. Why do you ask?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:00 pm No. The US. Why do you ask?
Because what you wrote would freak out my former ‘British English’ teachers. So I guessed you weren’t a ‘British English speaker’.

But it’s just a guess, I’m not British myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic