Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:42 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:37 am
Jack.R. wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 am Knowing the following:
Cambodia has closed no borders,
Implemented no quarantine,
Cancelled no flights,
Cambodia has done no Contact tracing for 3 infected that travelled the country before,
Barely any testing at all,
Just lost the whole group of these potentially infected people around the city.

At this point I am quite confident to say that Cambodia has an outbreak of the virus and the government just is too stupid to notice it / they are covering it up.
Or the virus isn’t as potent in Cambodia as it appears to be in cooler areas. Time will tell.
:please:
75 in Singapore
59 Japan
57 HK
34 Thailand
22 Malaysia
16 Vietnam

all countries as warm as Cambodia
Come on, drama queen, no need for the :please:

Japan as warm as Cambodia? Hong Kong as warm as Cambodia? Simply wrong. Different weathers in this time of year.

Then look at the numbers. It's not really setting off (yet), is it? It's not like the numbers triple every three days as you'd expect with an outbreak.

Not saying nothing is happening, quite the opposite, but I simply don't see things getting out off hand outside of China (yet). Having said that, I have taken precautions in my family life to protect ourselves to a certain extend.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

".....Japan as warm as Cambodia? Hong Kong as warm as Cambodia? Simply wrong. Different weathers in this time of year."

OK: point taken
but what about;
Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia & Singapore?
all had direct flights, all have lots of Chinese tourists this time of year, same as Cambodia, yet Camboida....No cases??
and the 20 they tested on the boat, ( out of over 1,400) that came back negative, seems one was positive...

As RT news says "question more"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:22 am ".....Japan as warm as Cambodia? Hong Kong as warm as Cambodia? Simply wrong. Different weathers in this time of year."

but what about;
all had direct flights, all have lots of Chinese tourists this time of year, same as Cambodia, yet Camboida....No cases??
and the 20 they tested on the boat, ( out of over 1,400) that came back negative, seems one was positive...

Yes, the other ones are similar, and I believe their numbers more than Cambodia's. I don't believe anything about the 'zero cases' scenario in Cambodia, but I'm also not overwhelmed by messages of people calling ill. I mean, if there were thousands of cases in Cambodia I'm pretty sure they couldn't hide it because facebook is open here and they simply don't have the facilities to 'hide' those people.

For now I wait, and sit it out. Actually there's not much more I can do anyway, besides some basic stuff like compulsory hand washing etc etc.

Oh, and I stopped attending Khmer weddings. But that's not much of a burden to me :beer3: .

One thing that worries me a bit is the 100 day remembering of my wife's father later this week. It's in the boonies, so probably relatively safe on one hand, but even basic sanitation is unknown there, and a lot of people will attend. So I can already picture all those people coughing and sneezing all around spraying all their countryside germs around.... :dragonchase:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Japan to Provide Medical Equipment for Cambodia to Counter COVID-19
Phnom Penh, February 15, 2020

The Government of Japan has announced its assistance in medical equipment to Cambodia, as a part of its efforts to counter Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection worldwide.

According to the Embassy of Japan in Cambodia, the medical equipment include 9,360 isolation gowns, 480 alcohol hand rubs, 540 safety goggles and 24,400 gloves, etc., which are part of the personal protective equipment stockpiled by Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) and financed by Japan’s contribution, as in-kind contribution from the Government of Japan.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/26105
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:22 am ".....Japan as warm as Cambodia? Hong Kong as warm as Cambodia? Simply wrong. Different weathers in this time of year."

but what about;

Hopefully the weather theory holds, but I doubt.
About Singapore that is a whole air-conditioned/very packed country so the risk is high.
Thailand has lots of imported cases, Vietnam seems very successful with their containment, making it a good option to move there for a while if things get worse. Malaysia I didn't follow. Cambodia is most likely more at risk than Thailand or Vietnam just because of the political choices made, otherwise Cambodia could have been quite safe if they implemented Vietnam like measures.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The latest from Reuters news agency:

February 17, 2020 / 1:36 PM / Updated 27 minutes ago
Coronavirus cases rise again in China as recession looms for Japan, Singapore
David Stanway
6 Min Read

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - The number of reported new cases of coronavirus in China’s Hubei province rose on Monday after two days of falls, as authorities imposed tough new restrictions on movement to prevent the spread of the disease which has now killed more than 1,700 people.

With no end in sight for the outbreak, the economic repercussions from the shutdown of chunks of Chinese industry could trigger recessions in Japan in Singapore, where data on Monday pointed to possible contractions in the current quarter.

In Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak, health officials reported 1,933 new cases and 100 new deaths on Feb. 16, the lowest daily death count since Feb. 11. The number of new cases rose nearly 5% from the previous day, but the number of deaths fell from 139.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN20B014
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Michigan Family That Was Stuck On Cruise Ship Still In Cambodia Over Coronavirus Concerns
They were able to disembark a cruise ship in Cambodia after roughly two weeks.
WWJ News
February 16, 2020 - 12:51 pm

(WWJ) -- Frustration is growing for a southeastern Michigan man and his family, as they are stuck in Cambodia due to coronavirus concerns.

Steve Muth of Onsted in Lenanwee County, along with his wife, daughter and her boyfriend, embarked on a cruise aboard the Westerdam in early February, only to be stuck aboard the ship for roughly two weeks, as ports throughout Asia denied entry to the ship over concerns of the spreading virus.

Now that the ship his finally docked and deboarded in Cambodia, their flights home have been canceled after a passenger tested positive for the virus. Muth and his family have been holed up at a hotel in the Cambodian capital of Phomn Penh for several days and he says he has no clue when they might finally get to come home.

"There may be a two-week quarantine in our future. We just don’t know, and that’s the biggest troubling factor," Muth told WWJ.

Throughout the ordeal, Muth has said the crew aboard the ship, operated by the Holland America line, have been very hepful and friendly. But help from the U.S. has been a different story, he says.

"The people in our state department, I’m afraid to tell you, have been very inadequate. The U.S. government has failed us time and time again throughout this process," Muth said.
https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/articles ... -of-corona

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

[YouTube][/YouTube]
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

For all those accusing me of being a tin hatter.

:bored:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic