Safari World, Cambodia's largest zoo, opening soon in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Safari World, Cambodia's largest zoo, opening soon in Phnom Penh

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

or this..

Koh Kong
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:10 pm Yeah looks great. The Singapore "zoos". they really do.
Like this magnificent one
Underwater World, Sentosa
Truly world class - hard to find a word against it on Google.

Opened to great fanfare in 2012 with "over two dozen pink Indo-pacific Humpback dolphins" as its star attraction.
Five years of accolades before they went broke.

Nobody knew where the dolphins came from (my obvious guess is the Gulf)
but we know where four of them went - sold off to China.
All the others had died.

My detailed investigations of the Koh Kong captures for KK Safari Wank, including interviewing the boatmen involved, revealed a huge death toll during the capture exercise, and none of them lasted long once they hit the park.
Just because they are cute and pink, doesn't make them good at living in chlorinated swimming pools turning tricks for a living.

(ps, i do agree Singapore's various, massive, stocked to the eyeballs, animal circuses and flashy displays are better than most - but so much of the whole zoo business is just plain wrong in my book.
i have no idea what your on about or where you get ur info
"Underwater World (Chinese: 新加坡海底世界) (13 May 1991 – 26 June 2016),[1] also known as Underwater World Singapore Pte Ltd, was a former oceanarium located on the offshore Singaporean island of Sentosa. "
You did get it partial right bu ur dates were off and it operated for 25 years
....in August 2014 the organizations Wildlife Watcher Singapore, in collaboration with Sea Shepherd .Conservation Society, reported sub-standard living conditions for the animals.[6]

On 6 June 2016, it was announced by operator Haw Par that the venue would close on 26th of that month, Its pink dolphins, fur seals and otters had been transferred to Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in Zhuhai, China the week before the announcement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwate ... _Singapore

went a few times with my daughter between 96 and 2008 and it was truly world class, on par with the world famous Monterrey Aquarium,which we also visited many times as we lived in Monterrey for 16 months

Grew up outside Washington DC and the Smithsonian's National Zoo there was a favorite place of mine

am sure the dolphins are much better off in China where they wont be monitored at all.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:01 pm i have no idea what your on about or where you get ur info
You did get it partial right bu ur dates were off and it operated for 25 years

....in August 2014 the organizations Wildlife Watcher Singapore, in collaboration with Sea Shepherd .Conservation Society, reported sub-standard living conditions for the animals.[6]

went a few times with my daughter between 96 and 2008 and it was truly world class, on par with the world famous Monterrey Aquarium,which we also visited many times as we lived in Monterrey for 16 months
I, yeah, OK i got the dates wrong. The general point still stands.
You obviously are enthralled with what most people i respect see as barbaric these days.
And yeah, you obviously have no idea what i am talking about.
Best wishes.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Your "World Class" Monterey Bay Aquarium refuses to hold captured cetaceans because it is cruel, - In line with most civilised western thinking these days.
They take people on boat tours out on the bay instead

As for Santosa and all other commercial operations that do keep wild-caught dolphins in tiny pens -
(What i was talking about)

Is it cruel to keep dolphins in captivity?
Captivity is absolutely incompatible with the innate needs of a dolphin. In the ocean, they chase their prey for hundreds of kilometers a day. In dolphinariums, they have no choice but to eat dead fish and swim in endless circles around their tank. May 19, 2017

How Many Dolphins Have Died at SeaWorld in the Last 10 Years?
The next time you hear someone try to wax poetic about SeaWorld's “conservation efforts,” hit him or her with this fact: 62 bottlenose dolphins have died at SeaWorld parks in the last 10 years alone. Oct 22, 2014

"am sure the dolphins are much better off in China where they wont be monitored at all"
Totally spurious. I think you are clutching at straws in trying to defend the indefensible.
NO! I don't think they should have been captured for your, or anybody else's, pleasure in the first place.

It is the easiest thing in the world to see dolphins in the wild
but some people reckon they look better with basket balls and pretty girls balancing on their nose.
enjoy your circus.
i can't
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

I went to see a section of the Great Wall outside of Beijing a few years ago and for some unknown reason they had an enclosure there which reminded me of the Roman Colosseum as it was circular and the wall where you overlooked the pit was about 20 foot tall. Down below were 2 bears and a dead tree branch. Everything else was concrete apart from rubbish which had possibly been thrown in and a lot of rocks about the size of a fist in some cases. I just couldn't understand why people would come to see such a feat of engineering and then look at 2 poor bloody bears stuck in a concrete pit and throw crap at them to get them to move.

And more than a few years ago I was deployed to the Solomon Islands after a bit of civil unrest by the locals and during our 4 months there we were given an opportunity for 3 days off at one of the outer islands. I got talking to an expat Australian dive operator and he took me out in his boat for a look around the island and we came across a pod of Dolphins which came near the boat but not too close. I asked him why this was as I'd always seen Dolphins bow riding and he told me it's because the locals make money out of capturing them and then selling them to marine parks around the world. Once captured they were held in small pens which as they are a highly intelligent creature would have stressed them considerably and this surely would have led to a higher than normal death rate as opposed to being in the wild. I never saw the pens while I was there but I did see a documentary about the trade about a year or so after I got back and it was exactly as had been told to me, small pens and high death rate.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

They obviously don't call you Kahuna for nothing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic