Thank God I’m Back in China

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by sousadeyy »

Did you not check if the school was Wasc accredited before you took the job?

Did you not inquire about their philosophy of education? Their learner outcomes?

There are quite a few very good international schools in Phnom penh for people who see teaching as a career. Ispp, northbridge, giving tree, cia, liger academy. Shit teachers end up in shit jobs.

You went to a shit one because you failed to research. Serves you right. Sounds like you took the job for money, you sound no better than the meth head tefler.

Enjoy your fascist state.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 pm
RobinHood wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:44 pm Yeah, fair enough. I just think the country isn't as bad as you said. For me, it just worked. I loved the attitude of the locals, and the daily rhythm of everyday life.

My last job before returning to U.K was working at Camed. The English standards there were pretty decent; the students were very well behaved, the facilities were top notch.
Maybe a great place to visit but the worst place to live. It’s a horrible country really; just the way rich can kill and maime the poor with impunity is enough to put Cambodia on the black list of places to live. It’s lawless to the extreme and corrupt. The complacent locals are half the problem.

You don’t see rich Chinese killing poor Chinese with impunity because the Chinese wouldn’t have it.
Oh dear! Not just about schools and education anymore..

Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

up to you...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

That Chinese kool aid sure has a bit of a kick I must say. And obviously when the Chinese inter a whole section of their society (Uighur Muslims) then it really is just about educating them.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Oh and I just realised the OP should have taken the opportunity to google Tiananman Square while he was outside the great firewall of China.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

yong wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:56 pm Image
No no no Yong.

Yes?? 'you sure?
OK, you're probably right
Fuck. i think i am so fucking smart and i get sucked in every time.

'Disappointing really - just when i thought we were getting thru'...

chuckle
- good sport anyway
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

In future, everyone should refer to this list:

UN list of Least Developed Countries

Afghanistan
Angola
Bangladesh
Benin
Bhutan
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Djibouti
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gambia
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Haiti
Kiribati
Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mozambique
Myanmar
Nepal
Niger
Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Republic of Tanzania
Vanuatu
Yemen
Zambia

https://unctad.org/en/pages/aldc/Least Developed Countries/UN-list-of-Least-Developed-Countries.aspx

If a country you're considering is on this list, you might want to reconsider.

Cambodia, Laos and Myanburmar are the big qualifiers in the region.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I didn't think this troll thread would work as the OP intended, hence my second post in the thread. Looks like I was wrong.

Congrats BB, you seem to have hooked a fair amount.

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Thank God I’m Back in Chi

Post by Freightdog »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 pm Not true but having experienced teaching in China vs teaching in Cambodia and the attitudes of parents and administration in each country, I can make a fair comparison.
How many years teaching in China, out of interest?
Where?
How many schools?
Compared to your 2 months teaching in Cambodia

BB wrote: Chinese parents care more about their kids education and are more proactive in getting their kids that education than Cambodian parents. As a matter of fact, Chinese are more proactive than American parents when it comes to their kids education.

Yes, China sets a very high bar when it comes to education and there is no propaganda about that fact.
me wrote: Is that All of China? Or just the fortunate, or privileged portion in the best position?
My brief experience of China was that there is a very great difference between those privileged ‘haves’ and the less visible ‘have nots’.
Are you kidding or just playing devils advocate?
Neither. Purely based on observation of a limited cross section of airline employees, employed at a particular, quite large, company.
BB wrote: Also, ISR is not a random site. It’s the go to site for International School Teachers looking for information on International schools.
Are you making the assumption then that it’s also the go-to site that Cambodian school administrators would refer to? I suspect that these same people that you criticise also wouldn’t give a damn what a foreign website membership thinks. You’re reply makes it clear that you’re looking at the issues almost entirely as an outside observer, commenting on the situation, rather than as someone on the inside, trying to effect change.
Somewhat akin to missionaries of old casting judgement and then wading in to save the natives from themselves without first trying to truly understand what they’re dealing with.

One thing that does seriously concern me is your rather damning assessment of student aptitude after only two months. I feel a certain relief, in the same way as hearing of yet another addled short time teacher recently departed; relief that someone with such a lack of respect for their students is no longer in a position to work with them.

It’s a fine line- which is worse- an incompetent addict unable to give help, or someone who simply views their charges as beyond help?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic