Thank God I’m Back in China

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thank God I’m Back in Chi

Post by BrazilBoy »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:39 pm
BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:16 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:12 pm Man, Chinese propaganda has hit you hard BB.
Not true but having experienced teaching in China vs teaching in Cambodia and the attitudes of parents and administration in each country, I can make a fair comparison.

Chinese parents care more about their kids education and are more proactive in getting their kids that education than Cambodian parents. As a matter of fact, Chinese are more proactive than American parents when it comes to their kids education.

Yes, China sets a very high bar when it comes to education and there is no propaganda about that fact.
Is that All of China? Or just the fortunate, or privileged portion in the best position?
My brief experience of China was that there is a very great difference between those privileged ‘haves’ and the less visible ‘have nots’.
China has like a 99% literary rate. Are you kidding or just playing devils advocate? American teachers study how Chinese teachers teach math.

Chinese- the haves and have nots - will invest just about everything they have in their kids education and they have been doing so for like forever. No matter if you are a have or a have not, if you can successfully prepare for and do well on a recongnized external exam, like the Gao Kao, you will succeed in China. It’s part of their Confucian tradition for Gods sake.

Also, ISR is not a random site. It’s the go to site for International School Teachers looking for information on International schools.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by BrazilBoy »

krisduncs wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:48 pm Cambodia is not for the faint hearted. Snowflakes melt very quickly in this heat.
Interesting you should say that because I assumed the lack of abilities that I saw among my Cambodian students had to do with heat. I thought too much sun on their heads made them stupid or something. Don’t get me wrong, they were lovely kids, even though they were packed like sardines at 30 + per class. Seriously, sweet kids but just not the brightest noggins in Asia.

Let’s be real: Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are the brains of Asia.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Congo? Point Noire makes Phnom Penh
look like Manhattan. Do your due diligence.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:04 pm Congo? Point Noire makes Phnom Penh
look like Manhattan. Do your due diligence.
I did and it was a decent school in Brazzaville, which turns out to be a safer city than Nairobi.
RobinHood
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by RobinHood »

I think those are some harsh, unfair words from the OP regarding the KOW. Considering what the country has been through late last century, I think they cope very well.

I found Phnom Penh charming and more relaxed than Bangkok; further, I found the Khmer to be more tolerant and less arrogant than the Thais. I was also deeply impressed with the quality of the beer in Cambodia-much better than the stuff you get in Thailand.

I hope the OP thinks about his words and would like to retract them.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:01 pm
krisduncs wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:48 pm Cambodia is not for the faint hearted. Snowflakes melt very quickly in this heat.
Interesting you should say that because I assumed the lack of abilities that I saw among my Cambodian students had to do with heat. I thought too much sun on their heads made them stupid or something. Don’t get me wrong, they were lovely kids, even though they were packed like sardines at 30 + per class. Seriously, sweet kids but just not the brightest noggins in Asia.

Let’s be real: Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are the brains of Asia.
Oh No... he's having a go at the children now...
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

RobinHood wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:32 pm I think those are some harsh, unfair words from the OP regarding the KOW. Considering what the country has been through late last century, I think they cope very well.

I found Phnom Penh charming and more relaxed than Bangkok; further, I found the Khmer to be more tolerant and less arrogant than the Thais. I was also deeply impressed with the quality of the beer in Cambodia-much better than the stuff you get in Thailand.

I hope the OP thinks about his words and would like to retract them.
I did retract some of my earlier words, admitted to acting like a bitch and kindly asking all those who called me on it to fuck off. Sometimes I just say shit.

But the superiority of the Chinese educational system, especially compared to Cambodia, that is just true.

Also Learning Jungle/ Westview is a scam and any parent that sends their kid there needs to have their head examined.
RobinHood
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by RobinHood »

Yeah, fair enough. I just think the country isn't as bad as you said. For me, it just worked. I loved the attitude of the locals, and the daily rhythm of everyday life.

My last job before returning to U.K was working at Camed. The English standards there were pretty decent; the students were very well behaved, the facilities were top notch.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

RobinHood wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:44 pm Yeah, fair enough. I just think the country isn't as bad as you said. For me, it just worked. I loved the attitude of the locals, and the daily rhythm of everyday life.

My last job before returning to U.K was working at Camed. The English standards there were pretty decent; the students were very well behaved, the facilities were top notch.
Maybe a great place to visit but the worst place to live. It’s a horrible country really; just the way rich can kill and maime the poor with impunity is enough to put Cambodia on the black list of places to live. It’s lawless to the extreme and corrupt. The complacent locals are half the problem.

You don’t see rich Chinese killing poor Chinese with impunity because the Chinese wouldn’t have it.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic