Thank God I’m Back in China

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thank God I’m Back in China

Post by BrazilBoy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm
lostjeremy wrote:
Tuition is https://westview.edu.kh/tuition-fee/
Was accomodation provided? That's a decent salary, albeit a bit less than ISPP. As you say, free school for kids and completion bonus make it more than enough for a family. Yeah, it's a new school so nothing to go off of (nada on ISR or Glassdoor). Sometimes it's worth taking the plunge, though I would have assumed they would have paid for your flight from Brazil. I still feel like two weeks isn't long enough to know if you'll like it or not. Maybe you should have given it a month or two before making a final decision and at least recouping some money. Then again, I've had jobs where I knew very quickly I wanted out, so maybe it's not entirely fair. Job aside, it seems like you guys had trouble adapting to Cambodia in the little time you were here. Most international school teachers love the lifestyle it can afford them, so not sure what you're on about hookers by the Riverside and all that. I do feel one should always visit a country before working there. Those who do rarely have a bad experience. Granted, Brazil is far, but I would have chosen a different location had I been you (a country I'd visited and enjoyed, this wanting to know more and live there).
Accommodation was not provided nor help with relocation. The broker they sent to greet us at the airport showed us places starting at $800 per month. He eventually found us a small 2 BR for $500 per month.

I honestly knew the instant I saw the Westview campus that it wasn’t going to work. Schools should be in some kind of nice setting: country nice or city nice but attractive and well just nice. This campus is on a dusty, busy road in a light industrial area of TK. It’s ugly and dangerous and has no redeeming quality except maybe it’s cheap. It’s an ugly place to go to school without anything soulful.

Most of the teachers are not certified and some don’t have a degree. It doesn’t even pretend to be an IB school. Elementary uses Ontario standards and high school uses Common Core standards.

It’s their own personal brew of Canadian and American standards that some dumdass Aussie created as quickly as possible so he could go troll whores on the Riverside like a proper expat that settles on a city in Cambodia. That’s what I mean about Riverside: many, if not most, of the teachers that I met engaged the services of Riverside whores.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:12 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm
lostjeremy wrote:
Tuition is https://westview.edu.kh/tuition-fee/
Was accomodation provided? That's a decent salary, albeit a bit less than ISPP. As you say, free school for kids and completion bonus make it more than enough for a family. Yeah, it's a new school so nothing to go off of (nada on ISR or Glassdoor). Sometimes it's worth taking the plunge, though I would have assumed they would have paid for your flight from Brazil. I still feel like two weeks isn't long enough to know if you'll like it or not. Maybe you should have given it a month or two before making a final decision and at least recouping some money. Then again, I've had jobs where I knew very quickly I wanted out, so maybe it's not entirely fair. Job aside, it seems like you guys had trouble adapting to Cambodia in the little time you were here. Most international school teachers love the lifestyle it can afford them, so not sure what you're on about hookers by the Riverside and all that. I do feel one should always visit a country before working there. Those who do rarely have a bad experience. Granted, Brazil is far, but I would have chosen a different location had I been you (a country I'd visited and enjoyed, this wanting to know more and live there).
Accommodation was not provided nor help with relocation. The broker they sent to greet us at the airport showed us places starting at $800 per month. He eventually found us a small 2 BR for $500 per month.

I honestly knew the instant I saw the Westview campus that it wasn’t going to work. Schools should be in some kind of nice setting: country nice or city nice but attractive and well just nice. This campus is on a dusty, busy road in a light industrial area of TK. It’s ugly and dangerous and has no redeeming quality except maybe it’s cheap. It’s an ugly place to go to school without anything soulful.

Most of the teachers are not certified and some don’t have a degree. It doesn’t even pretend to be an IB school. Elementary uses Ontario standards and high school uses Common Core standards.

It’s their own personal brew of Canadian and American standards that some dumdass Aussie created as quickly as possible so he could go troll whores on the Riverside like a proper expat that settles on a city in Cambodia. That’s what I mean about Riverside: many, if not most, of the teachers that I met engaged the services of Riverside whores.
There's fairly slim pickings for nice settings for a school in PP. It's not something the locals would really appreciate, anyhow. It's a dusty place.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Speaking of due diligence, how much was actually done by yourself prior to arriving in Cambodia on your mission to be a better teacher than they obviously deserve?
Some of your early posts demonstrated a little naïveté in regards what to expect. No big surprise; there’s a lot about the country that is just wrong. But bearing in mind that it wasn’t so long ago that the country was in complete turmoil, there are some areas of its current culture and civilization that would definitely have room for improvement.

Now, after 2 months of teaching here- there’s plenty of threads on the subject of how bad the teaching standards are- you’ve simply fallen into that class of western teacher that adds to the problem. You’ve given up. You were looking for a job, rather than a vocation.

There was a thread recently about someone’s Chinese wife who was having difficulty treating Khmer with any respect. Now after 2 months, you’ve seen the immense (maybe to you the insurmountable) challenge of being here. Why not just graciously bow out, say ‘sayonara. Sorry, it’s just not for me/us’.

Thank god you’re back in China. Shall we expect a postcard?
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:49 pm Speaking of due diligence, how much was actually done by yourself prior to arriving in Cambodia on your mission to be a better teacher than they obviously deserve?
Some of your early posts demonstrated a little naïveté in regards what to expect. No big surprise; there’s a lot about the country that is just wrong. But bearing in mind that it wasn’t so long ago that the country was in complete turmoil, there are some areas of its current culture and civilization that would definitely have room for improvement.

Now, after 2 months of teaching here- there’s plenty of threads on the subject of how bad the teaching standards are- you’ve simply fallen into that class of western teacher that adds to the problem. You’ve given up. You were looking for a job, rather than a vocation.

There was a thread recently about someone’s Chinese wife who was having difficulty treating Khmer with any respect. Now after 2 months, you’ve seen the immense (maybe to you the insurmountable) challenge of being here. Why not just graciously bow out, say ‘sayonara. Sorry, it’s just not for me/us’.

Thank god you’re back in China. Shall we expect a postcard?
How are standards going to improve if teachers don’t call the schools out in Cambodia on their lack of standards? It’s beyond that at Learning Jungle|Westview International School. It’s a complete zoo there and they need to be called on it. I’m doing that here, I’ll do it on ISR and I’ll do it on Teachers on the Move. I also alerted the Learning Jungle franchise in Canada. That’s about all I can do. But like I said, with the complacent sheep like parents I’ve come to experience in Cambodia, nothing will come of it. Standards will never improve if parents don’t step.

I should say, step up like in China because Chinese would occupy that school once they realized how terrible it is. Chinese take their kids education VERY seriously; Cambodian parents, not so much.

Yes my wife was right and I should have listened to her. She warned me Cambodia was a poor little shit hole. We should have gone to the Congo or Costa Rica. I fucked up and came to Cambodia but now I’m gone and thank God, back in China.

I do like an empire!!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Man, Chinese propaganda has hit you hard BB.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:12 pm Man, Chinese propaganda has hit you hard BB.
Not true but having experienced teaching in China vs teaching in Cambodia and the attitudes of parents and administration in each country, I can make a fair comparison.

Chinese parents care more about their kids education and are more proactive in getting their kids that education than Cambodian parents. As a matter of fact, Chinese are more proactive than American parents when it comes to their kids education.

Yes, China sets a very high bar when it comes to education and there is no propaganda about that fact.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm How are standards going to improve if teachers don’t call the schools out in Cambodia on their lack of standards?
Truthfully? Very slowly. More so if the people calling them out on it simply leave.
The person who hangs around, to keep reminding them of what they might achieve if they too didn’t view it simply as a secure paycheque, but as a vocation is more likely to spark a glimmer of interest in just one of their peers, or one of their pupils.
Venting on a number of random forums that the establishment are unlikely to read is likely to have nil effect.

It’s a developing nation, mired in corruption and nepotism. Maybe listen to some of those parents- many are themselves a product of a country that gave them little reason to expect more. My other half frequently reverts back to ‘Khmer are different to barang’ on many things, but she’s slowly coming to realize that achievement may be more about the individual, and not just wealth paving the the way.

If you aren’t up to the task, or unable to commit, be honest with yourself. Not all of us ‘parents’ are sheep. The more voices that join the call, the more likely it will be heard.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:16 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:12 pm Man, Chinese propaganda has hit you hard BB.
Not true but having experienced teaching in China vs teaching in Cambodia and the attitudes of parents and administration in each country, I can make a fair comparison.

Chinese parents care more about their kids education and are more proactive in getting their kids that education than Cambodian parents. As a matter of fact, Chinese are more proactive than American parents when it comes to their kids education.

Yes, China sets a very high bar when it comes to education and there is no propaganda about that fact.
Is that All of China? Or just the fortunate, or privileged portion in the best position?
My brief experience of China was that there is a very great difference between those privileged ‘haves’ and the less visible ‘have nots’.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

enjoy the quarantine
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Cambodia is not for the faint hearted. Snowflakes melt very quickly in this heat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic