Top Tips Please - Vancouver - Mexico City and Medellin

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Top Tips Please - Vancouver - Mexico City and Medellin

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:08 am In Canada - take some classes on extreme mild-manneredness and radical politeness.
Exciting stuff and they are the experts.

But don't then go taking those lessons to any of the other places you mentioned
unless you've got a gun to back it up.
I have spent lots of time in Toronto over the years so I know you have to say "thank you" to ATM machines.
Moe
Expatriate

Post by Moe »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10 amWhat is "DF"?
Distrito Federal - Mexico City. The street food there is tremendous. Hard to know what to recommend as I don't know your interests.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Northface jacket with fleece inner is in the case already. No woolly hat or scarf but that's an easy fix. Airbnb booked and paid for. I heard it's $7 a beer which is not going to be much fun.

Thanks for the tips
CA$7 is US$5.25. Hope that helps. :beer3:

But worth every penny, compared to the swill we get in SEA. Oh, and there are no pennies any more. Bill totals are rounded up or down, if paying cash. If your final beer bill is CA$14.52, it becomes $14.50 in cash, or if it's $14.56, it becomes $14.55, or if it's $14.58, it becomes $14.60. Cash only, though. Credit/debit card payments are not rounded up or down.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Moe wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm
Distrito Federal - Mexico City. The street food there is tremendous. Hard to know what to recommend as I don't know your interests.
I am into good food, nice bars and beer. Not adverse to night time fun but very cautious and will be fine if my week in Mexico City is without any nooky.

I will be saying in La Condesa if that helps...
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

You should have booked some time at the end of your trip in Vancouver instead of the beginning. Far from a guarantee but April in Vancouver can (not will be, can) be really nice. And most pubs will have a decent brew or 2 for around 6 bucks CDN. Fantastic IPAs and the like for 7.

Conversely wait for Medellin for your "night time fun". Cheap and plentiful. Santa Marta? I went in 2012 and was underwhelmed. VERY mixed reports recently. Weather is very much like here. Medellin is usually fab weatherwise, bit warmer than Dalat.

Johnny
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:11 pm You should have booked some time at the end of your trip in Vancouver instead of the beginning. Far from a guarantee but April in Vancouver can (not will be, can) be really nice. And most pubs will have a decent brew or 2 for around 6 bucks CDN. Fantastic IPAs and the like for 7.

Conversely wait for Medellin for your "night time fun". Cheap and plentiful. Santa Marta? I went in 2012 and was underwhelmed. VERY mixed reports recently. Weather is very much like here. Medellin is usually fab weatherwise, bit warmer than Dalat.

Johnny
My Vancouver trip timing is because of family commitments there, late April didn't really work. Having spent many a winter in Toronto I am well aware of what 'cold' really means. It's gonna be a real shock coming from here however.

Thanks for your help...
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:58 pm
Moe wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm
I am into good food, nice bars and beer. Not adverse to night time fun but very cautious and will be fine if my week in Mexico City is without any nooky.

I will be saying in La Condesa if that helps...
La Condesa is nice, there's a big round about where there's a bunch of restaurants, I've usually stayed in Roma, my favorite mezcal bar is there - El Palenquito, about a block down from there you'll see a place with smoke bellowing out, I think Frontera grill, great food, sadly I heard my favorite place Porchetta pork house has closed. No nooky in DF? I found it pretty easy to meet (non working)girls there. It's pretty safe to walk around Condesa and Roma at night, there are armed police on every corner.
Just watch museum burnout, 3 must see places are the Museum of Anthropology and Chapultepec, then take a day and go to Teotihuacan.

It's been years since I've been to Tamarindo, there was a cool sports bar that had burnt down last time I was there I've heard it's been rebuilt, Witch's rock surf camp has a cool bar and not a bad place to stay. If you stay in San Jose I recommend La Amistad hotel, it's not far from the Del Ray, a lot of the "night time action" heads to Jaco on the weekends now to hotel Cocal.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Moe
Expatriate

Post by Moe »

Sasquatch has some good recommendations.

I loved the Museum of Anthropology, but your mileage may vary. Chapultepec and Teotihuacan are definitely must sees.

La Opera is a cantina where they still (allegedly) have the bullet hole in the ceiling from Pancho Villa. It's more than a bit touristy, but it's an interesting sort of up upmarket joint for a cantina. Go to Plaza Garibaldi to get your fill of Mariachi music for a lifetime.

Coyoacán is a nice part of the city that has a different vibe to it, it's well worth checking out.

Not sure what the pay for play scene is like there, honestly. Sorry, can't offer any advice on that score.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic