DHL import tax?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

DHL import tax?

Post by Syntaxfree »

I'm thinking of having a friend send me an iPhone via DHL express. I've never had electronics sent but everything else I've had sent from the USA with DHL express has arrived without an issue in four days. I was worried about it being stolen but I can always pay extra to insure it but now I'm wondering if there would be some sort of electronic import tax?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: DHL import tax?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Syntaxfree wrote:I'm thinking of having a friend send me an iPhone via DHL express. I've never had electronics sent but everything else I've had sent from the USA with DHL express has arrived without an issue in four days. I was worried about it being stolen but I can always pay extra to insure it but now I'm wondering if there would be some sort of electronic import tax?
I’ll ask the guy in charge of import duties at DHL in Cambodia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

i had a bad experience with dhl, expensive, package open, went to wrong address. never again
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

This is what the DHL guy says...

Import as personal need to add 20% on top of declare value. Customs duties 15% and VAT 10%
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why don't you just buy an iPhone here? Duties will kill you with DHL.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

Okay thanks. I won't bother having it sent. I was hoping there wouldn't be an import fee if it was just one personal phone. I can just buy one here. Thanks again.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Syntaxfree wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:51 pm Okay thanks. I won't bother having it sent. I was hoping there wouldn't be an import fee if it was just one personal phone. I can just buy one here. Thanks again.
You may or may not be charged tax. DHL do the tax collection on behalf of the governmemt usually and rely on the documentation with the goods. Not sure you can send a phone. there are restrictions for example you cannot send a pc. if its a new phone cheaper to buy here than buy at home and pay DHL fees. if its used then tax will be minimal, but again, probably cheaper to buy a used one here. You can send it by EMS from most countries. then it is dealt with by Cambodia post and you can collect at the post office. usualyy takes 5 to 10 days, never had a problem. Guy at the counter will charge you bugger all, no receipt. Paid 1500 riel on a big pack of clothes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic