Looking for work

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
John413
Tourist
Ireland

Looking for work

Post by John413 »

Hello everyone,
I am currently on my second adventure in Cambodia. The last time I was here I spent just shy of 2 years in Phnom Penh. On my last trip, I was teaching and I will be honest it really was not for me. This time around I am getting married to my Khmer girlfriend of 2 years, we plan to move to my hometown in Ireland but as all of you are aware it can be a lengthy process from getting legally married to getting her the visa for Ireland. I am not the type of person who enjoys sitting around and waiting.

I know it is a long shot but I am hoping to find a job as an auto mechanic or something similar (anything that is not teaching), I have spent 1 year as a mechanic in Ireland where I worked on trucks, and light commercials. I have heard of foreigners working as mechanics in Cambodia. I have 2 years of experience in welding/fabrication, I also have 3 years experience in formwork/Shuttering.

If anyone would be able to help me in any way possible that would be great.

Thanks in advance
John
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Looking for work

Post by pczz »

You will ean more teaching. Once you are married and have your marriage legitamised in ireland you can both go to another eu country under EU freedom of movement rules
You might find this article useful https://www.migrantproject.ie/returning ... y-members/
There is another route which uses eu freedom of movement rules. you would need tosettle in another eu country. then your wife can come with youto live. After 5 years she will qualify for permanent residence and then she has the right to accompany you to ireland as an EU permanent resident. Cathc 22 ireland is not in the Schengen zone so there may be a few extra hoops. We did this fr my friend. UK citizen with permanent residence in Eu. No problem taking his Khmer gf to the eu country even thought theymade him jump through a few hoops to get her from there to uk
John413
Tourist
Ireland

Post by John413 »

Hello, pczz and thanks for your reply. I know I will earn more while teaching here in Phnom Penh, but teaching really is not for me. Money is not much of a situation for me yet, I have got enough to get married and stay here for a good 6 months, I am just looking for something to keep me relatively busy for a few months. If I did get myself into a decent paying job then I would be happy to stay for around 2 years.
As regards to the visa for Ireland I believe I have that covered, the link you sent me was also very helpful.
Thanks
John
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I know of two foreigners who work as mechanics here for foreign owned companies, but I think it's unlikely you could land a job like that without substantial experience abroad in dealerships or have lived here a while and have good contacts.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I knew some foreign mechanics but they were gradually replaced and moved abroad. I know one Irish guy who has worked repairing heavy plant machinery on plantations and on boilers etc for a large factory.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Why not get your lass a KH passport and both of you go to Singapore on holiday and get legally married there?

Basic information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrimoni ... _Singapore

OML
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

contact Matt at cnm motors, http://www.cnmcambodia.com/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John413
Tourist
Ireland

Post by John413 »

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone,
Yes Bitte_Kein_Lexus, My experience is not focused on any one vehicle and only spans for 1 year. I know/knew that I don't quite have the experience, I think it is worthwhile to have a look anyway.
John Bingham thanks for your reply and would you have any contact information for him?.
Ot Mean Loi, my girlfriend got her passport just last year, I was thinking about heading abroad and getting married but with me not knowing any Irishman who has done it I just don't want to take the chance.
phuketrichard I will, very much appreciate.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:32 pm Why not get your lass a KH passport and both of you go to Singapore on holiday and get legally married there?

Basic information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrimoni ... _Singapore

OML
AS far as I am aware you now need a certifciate of no impedimanet for a legal wedding in Singapore, at least that is wht they toldme last year. That has to be issued for Khmer by the Ministry of the interior and Ministry of foreign affaird. they will not give this document to khmer for wedding s abroad under normal circumstances, so I would love to know how these marriages are still taking place. cambodia certainly will not consider the wedding legal. If you are Cmbodia and lready abroad you can apply for permission through the nearest Khmer embassy, whcih is paris in europe i think.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

If not a marriage in SINGAPORE then why not a marriage in HONG KONG?

http://www.hkm.mobi/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI ... gIIUfD_BwE

Where there is a will there is a way.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic