Holland America Cruise Ship to Dock at Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Holland America Cruise Ship to Dock at Sihanoukville

Post by phuketrichard »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:39 am I suspect many will be further checked on arrival back in their homeland.

Its good that this situation has been resolved.

The cruise ship business in Asia is pretty much finished in the short term sadly. Quite a financial blow for cruise ship lines and their crews.
finished??? hardly

Feb 13th
Over 4,000 tourists and ship crews arrive in Phuket today, on two separate cruise liners, one from Hong Kong and one out of Singapore. There has been a sudden surge of interest in arriving cruise ships after the cruise boat still anchored in Yokohama Bay with a cluster

The Seabourn Ovation arrived from Hong Kong just after 7am this morning with 919 on board – 487 tourists and 432 crew. The Quantum of the Seas arrived from Singapore at 10am with 3,149 passengers and crew. Both arrived at the Phuket Deep Sea Port in Cape Panwa.

Phuket’s Marine Office Director Wiwat Chitchertwong has also confirmed that at least 17 cruise ships will be coming to Phuket in coming months. Four cruise ships arrive in Phuket this week
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/coronav ... oronavirus

Its still very big business in se asia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:39 am I suspect many will be further checked on arrival back in their homeland.

Its good that this situation has been resolved.

The cruise ship business in Asia is pretty much finished in the short term sadly. Quite a financial blow for cruise ship lines and their crews.
Much of their crew are from very poor countries like Cambodia.

I have a friend on a ship of Canerveral, FL. The hoops they made them jump through, medical tests, visa apps, one way flight to the ships port, all at their own expense, then on board they charged her for the uniform, and then they work them all day; sleep, eat, work, eat, sleep etc for 6.5 days straight.

I have a horrible feeling these cruise ships are going to send these people home very soon, mid way through the contract without any compensation. They will be lucky to be given the return flight home.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

^^ That's a lovely imagine and exactly the kind of publicity Cambodia's tourist industry needs.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Excellent PR :hattip:
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

You can bet retired folk who make up a large percentage of the passengers on cruise ships stop booking a place on Asian cruises.

Those cruise ships moving around asia at the moment will have likely started their cruise in the South Pacific before virus outbreak.

If you board a cruise ship anytime soon and there are Chinese on board you will be thinking about getting off ( regardless of the country they actually live in).
Sad turn of events . The fear factor is building every day .
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Big'n wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 am
pczz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:01 am
Brody wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 am FLying them all to Phnom Penh will be quite an operation by the way. 1,700 people? That's about ten flights going to Phnom Penh full and coming back empty.
The Oknya who owns the airline will be quite pleased. And don't think he wont be charging Holland America full-fare on the empty trips back to SHK.

Looks like someone will be getting new rims on the Bentley after this lucrative cluster-fuck.

Here, @DaveG This is just for you, for bogarting my go-to reaction pic........you tosser.

Must be at least 20 flights if you figure in the cancellations. As there are now officially zero cases of the Virus in the kingdom, depsite the number of chinese here and the constant flow of people back and forth at least the cruise ship customers can feel safe :stir:
Officially "0" cases, but I know of one personally that was tested in the KoW for $400 who tested negative. Then went to Vietnam and was tested for $0 and tested positive. Isn't that interesting...
I was in a hotel in PP chattig to an old chinaman whowas therewith his 2 daughters. they heard of the travel ban so they went to Wuhan to get aplane out the day before. My 14 dys are up and i am not sick yet, but now WHO says incubation may be as long as 40 days
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

The thing is now it's become international news, other countries won't trust the health of people traveling from Cambodia as lets face it the medical facilities and testing is way below par for the rest of the developed world. Already screening everyone coming from PP in BKK.
Screening, does anyone know what that might involve and how long it will take?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50691374/v ... r-covid-19

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ce-testing
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fourkinnel wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:18 pm The thing is now it's become international news, other countries won't trust the health of people traveling from Cambodia as lets face it the medical facilities and testing is way below par for the rest of the developed world. Already screening everyone coming from PP in BKK.
Screening, does anyone know what that might involve and how long it will take?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50691374/v ... r-covid-19

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ce-testing
Temperature check and 'questionaire'?

There's over 10 flights from Cambodia every day, so there's no way they could do full checks on everyone.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Hope it doesn't take too much time I'm off to Pattaya next week for a week and every minute counts.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic