Most Powerful Nation in the World - Great Britain

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Most Powerful Nation in the World - Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Almost forgot this comedian, Al Murray, was on the flight when I moved here donkey years ago - it was a rough ride through a storm and aborted landing at Phnom Penh; wheels almost down & then full power on, steep bank right and back to Bangkok. Had a good joke with him as he is also a West Ham fan. I think he's a donor to one of the orphanages here a la Angelina Jolie; told me he made trips out this way usually once a year or so, so keep an eye open.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

afghanistan
japan
N. Korea
Russia
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

fazur wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:00 pm afghanistan
japan
N. Korea
Russia
(in the spirit of Al Murray's sketch)

Afghanistan - Everyone knows there was the retreat from Kabul, but to retreat you must first have conquered, no?
Japan - The British were instrumental in WWII contrary to popular belief, standing ALONE before our colonial subjects could finally get their shit together to lend a hand. No Britain, no bomb, no victory over Japan.
North Korea - The British did have troops in the Korean War, supporting it's American colonial subjects to tremendous victory as seen even today.
Russia - Crimean War, countless victories, advances in modern medicine, etc. A huge success, believe me [/Drumpf]. Although you could argue that was the Ukraine now I guess ... To add some more, perhaps the Anglo-Russian war of 1807-1812 is a better example - with the help of Swedes, who let's face it are pretty much British with blonde hair, defeated the Russians & Danes/Norwegians

Have it you!! :hattip:

Key:
Pink: Countries conquered.
Purple: Countries paying tribute.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

The only time Russia was conquered was by the French in 1812. As in the capital was surrendered to Napoleon. But they didn’t enjoy that victory for long, and Paris was conquered by the Russians soon after. But it turned out the French actually managed to grow bigger balls than the British, the latter only did a few clashes at the far outskirts of Russia throughout history :stir:

Afghanistan. Even Russians couldn’t take it.

North Korea, forget it!
Last edited by hunter8 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

I'd say the Swedes are more like the Americans these days, having their fries with ketchup, and driving on the right side of the road, post September 3, 1967
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:01 pm Afghanistan - Everyone knows there was the retreat from Kabul, but to retreat you must first have conquered, no?
uh...no.

hitler retreated, had he conquered Russia?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

And who has defeated us. Start the List French in 1066, USA something to d with tea, the zulus, the Thais cos we chickened out of that one, the japanese, the germans (which we did eventually win with the help of the commonwealth and the Us. Sadly we are just a piddly little island off the coats of Europe. We will have 2 aircraft carriers eventually, but one is plagued by leaks, noone joins the army so we are relying on foreigners from the commonwealth and its only going to get worse. the last thing we had was a reputaion for being sensible and fairplay and that gone out the windows with Windrush scandle and Brexit. Amazing we have an Indian in charge of immigration, and she is the daughet of refugees. Bet I can guess who will be replacing the cheap european labour at the end of the year
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

You'll be fine, just play nice with your so called 'colonial subjects', and still the most powerful nation on earth.

Boris Johnson Bows to Trump on the Middle East

WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

franzjaeger wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 am You'll be fine, just play nice with your so called 'colonial subjects', and still the most powerful nation on earth.

Boris Johnson Bows to Trump on the Middle East

I must say, two of the goofiest looking motherf**kers to ever rule the world. Look at the haircuts! The fake tan. Veneers! Look at Boris's tie for gods sake! Trump looks like a racoon scratching his nuts, and Boris looks like he is drooling! I love it! :dm:
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Don't take all this national pride stuff too seriously folks, we're all just specks of dust hurtling along in space at 1,050mph, as were all of our ancestors. Enjoy the ride. #ShadowsAndDust
MontyPython wrote:Let's not argue and bicker about who killed who!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic