Ubud. A Blog

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Ubud. A Blog

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Ubud Blog

It’s been a recurring theme these last few years with the intention always of returning to Cambodia but invariably dismissing the idea last minute to go somewhere else. I’ve traded Cambodia yet again, this time for two months in Ubud.

I’ve a history of going to Ubud stretching back to nineteen eighty five and with it’s laid back vibe, cheap living, good live music (lots of live blues rock), great food, and the locals also in possession of a rather splendid easy going disposition, I’m looking forward to trying to improve the photography, again.

So, not that dissimilar to my Nepal blog at the end of last year I guess you’d best scroll on by if you’re not interested in amateurish, sometimes out of focus, predictable and rather boring photos. the-road/nepal-blog-t31799.html. I intend to add more information this time, however.

My home for two months beginning March 8th is a tiny house at the rear of a man’s property a five minute scooter ride out of downtown Ubud. At $US130 per month it’s certainly not palatial, but has wifi and kitchen to cook in if I feel so inclined.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Ubud. A Blog

Post by phuketrichard »

was down there in Oct 2017, rented a motorcycle in Kuta and circled the island.

Ubud is so dam crowded now that when the tourist bus's arrive around 11 am it is very hard to drive around town,( traffic jams of kms approaching the town) or even walk till the bus's leave around 4
The road up from the airport is chockerblock full of shops nowadays.
Get up to Mt Batur and stay on the lake or over to Amed

My first trip was in 84 and last trip previous was 99. Wont be another one. Used to be a lovely island, Now traffic is terrible, food prices are up
Still a few inexpensive places to eat near the tourist market in Ubud where $5 will get ya a full meal
and if you like coffee or ice cream, you will love it and after 5 kms out of town its still lovely. The chinese replaced the Ozzies as number one tourist, but now with the virus it might be different.

will be interested to hear ur thoughts on the changes
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Ubud. A Blog

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I only eat local food which runs in at about a dollar a meal at one of a million warungs, good coffee is thirty cents a cup and it's very rare to see any tourists eating at these places, happily. I don't go into main town Ubud unless I'm watching a band which is twice a week, I guess, and I don't mind westerners in a live music setting. Traffic sucks in main town Ubud but you don't have to go through town to get everywhere, and if you know your way around the alleys and lanes (gangs) avoiding central Ubud is easy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic