smuggled photos from Bangkok’s Immigration Detention center

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: smuggled photos from Bangkok’s Immigration Detention center

Post by yong »

Why are we comparing prisons here. Is anyone here going to jail soon?
TheAntichris
Tourist
United States of America

Post by TheAntichris »

80-90% of the detainees in Cambodia's "Removal Center" are human trafficking victims one way or another, whether job scam victims (the majority of detainees), sex trafficking victims, conflict zone refugees/displaced economic migrants/asylum seekers etc etc.

Thailand's IDC is severely restricted/segregated (and I was only there 17 days vs. 4-months in Cambodia's Removal Center) but I'd estimate that AT LEAST 50-60% and probably 75-80%+ of the detainees in the Thai IDC were also human trafficking victims as well.

Fyi, the reason the Nigerians (virtually all of whom come from the military-occupied/oil-rich "Biafra" region)/Africans are completely segregated in the Bangkok IDC is because the majority of them will ultimately be smuggled across the Thai/Cambodian border (usually through Poipet) after paying the necessary bribes to the Thai Royal Police/Border Police.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Not abuse, no ill-will. No feelings much at all about the nation. Being there has just never done anything for me,
Despite many years of being 20k's from the border, i have not been there for over a decade now. Not out of dislike, just disinterest.
However i have spent a fair bit of time there previously on many transits and short-stays since 1975.

I have never seen such deliberately brutal acts of violence anywhere, as i have seen committed by Thais against fellow human beings. Things that i still see now as i write this. Terrible things.
And i have never gone chasing adventure, limit-pushing or wild nights in Thailand, just quietly looking around.

Quite honestly, brutal, is how i view Thais - under a "buddhist" facade.
I gave them the benefit for a while, but after what i have seen myself, the many true-life horror stories, and the photographs above, my feelings are now pretty much are set in stone.
Cold hard stone. no hatred, not even dislike. just stone.

(ps. the Buddhism of Thais and Cambodians is so far from my personal experience and understanding of buddhism that i stopped identifying as buddhist shortly after arriving in Cambodia. So different i could not put it under the same label)

But that's just me. Everybody's experience and viewpoints are different.
The "ideal" Thai expat life looks pleasant. And for sure there are many things to admire about Thailand and Thai people too.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:21 am

Terrible things.
And i have never gone chasing adventure, limit-pushing or wild nights in Thailand, just quietly looking around.
Quietly and discretly sitting in a busy area, a bit in the background with a wide view angle, for half a day, should be the proper first day of any newbie out of his land.
It indeed do reveals a lot.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

TheAntichris wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:05 am 80-90% of the detainees in Cambodia's "Removal Center" are human trafficking victims one way or another, whether job scam victims (the majority of detainees), sex trafficking victims, conflict zone refugees/displaced economic migrants/asylum seekers etc etc.

Thailand's IDC is severely restricted/segregated (and I was only there 17 days vs. 4-months in Cambodia's Removal Center) but I'd estimate that AT LEAST 50-60% and probably 75-80%+ of the detainees in the Thai IDC were also human trafficking victims as well.

Fyi, the reason the Nigerians (virtually all of whom come from the military-occupied/oil-rich "Biafra" region)/Africans are completely segregated in the Bangkok IDC is because the majority of them will ultimately be smuggled across the Thai/Cambodian border (usually through Poipet) after paying the necessary bribes to the Thai Royal Police/Border Police.
So u have now been arrested and placed in Jail in Thailand and Cambodia. Seems your not exactly the person either country wants?

I dont get the "80-90% of the detainees in Cambodia's "Removal Center" are human trafficking victims one way or another, whether job scam victims (the majority of detainees), sex trafficking victims"
why would anyone traffic anyone to Cambodia? The job scams are directed at Khmers to get jobs in other countries so there is no reason they would be locked up in Cambodia, same goes for sex trafficking.

Dont buy this either, " 75-80%+ of the detainees in the Thai IDC were also human trafficking victims as well. "
i'd say most are caught up in roundups for overstaying their visa and working. Many of those trafficked over to work in the fishing industry or large farms are seldom caught/detained
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Many of those trafficked over to work in the fishing industry or large farms are seldom caught/detained

How can you say this and claim some association with Phuket.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hiway5 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:51 am Many of those trafficked over to work in the fishing industry or large farms are seldom caught/detained

How can you say this and claim some association with Phuket.
why? cause its true, many on the boats are never allowed on land so seldom caught.
Only a token few are arrested..
If u go to the pier in town you see them on the boats all the time, police are paid off.

Used to be behind my house in Kamala near the end of the month they would conduct raids on the Burmese working, (many claimed the owners turned them in to avoid paying them their wages) on construction sites and they would all flee up the hill behind my house, coming down in a day or so after the immigration left

Now that is no longer done, as without the Burmese, many of the new resorts, roads, malls would not be built as Thais dont like to work for low wages.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic