Would you still recommend traveling to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
A92ND
Tourist
Ireland

Would you still recommend traveling to Cambodia

Post by A92ND »

Hey all,

So I have a question, I'm supposed to be spending a week in Siem Reap, and a week in PP at the start of March, my first visit to Cambodia.

Given the current situation in SEA with the coronavirus, would you still recommend traveling to Cambodia? I know I know some people will say "its only the flu" , however I have asthma, so getting the flu can also be quite serious for me.

Getting sick isn't the part that overly concerns me ( although obviously getting sick would of ruin traveling a bit ) its more if I did get sick ( which considering I will be traveling Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines and Thailand, raises my chances compared to just staying in one place ), what is the standard of healthcare like in Cambodia? Are doctors competent? Are public hospitals reasonable? Are private hospitals good?

Any advice/info would be appreciated ( I couldn't find any similar posts about this )

Thanks
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Would you still recommend traveling to Cambodia

Post by Ghostwriter »

First time + asthma + dusty land + Chinese invasion + shit local healthcare + coronavirus = Cambodian holidays better be postponed...

Just my 2 cents.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

....what is the standard of healthcare like in Cambodia? Are doctors competent? Are public hospitals reasonable? Are private hospitals good?
None of it is all that great. If you thought the public health care system in Ireland was bad you are in for a big surprise. The services in rural clinics or even many urban hospitals can be very rudimentary. As in a bare room with a cot and you better have someone looking after you. I've been in loads of them. Some hospitals have great equipment and well-trained staff but don't get enough funding to bother doing a competent job. A lot of resources are siphoned off and resold. It has improved over the years to some extent, there are private establishments like Central Hospital that are useful for less important ailments, and on the far end of the scale there is Royal Phnom Penh. Last time I was there a friend was in an ICU and it was around $1500 a day before any extras. He nearly died there too because of what seemed like total incompetence but that's pure conjecture on my part as I'm not a doctor. He was medevaced to Bumrungrad and lasted a few more years. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

my two cents, totally uninformed because i cannot trust the official line.

The risk is probably quite low of catching the virus in cambodia.
Explore the whole country still, There are still lots of open air attractions, but just be sensible about being up-close and in crowds. Wash you hands regularly and carry some wipes for the hotel room (same as anywhere in the world this week).
-the common and fairly cheap share taxis are probably a better option than buses for in-country travel, eg.
pay a bit more and get one for yourself if you can.

The mortality rate is quite low if you do contract the virus.
But if you do, the health care and probable responses to the virus here generally, are "less than ideal".
(i'm trying to be polite here, see Ghosts and JB's comments above for a more brutally-honest appraisal)

My big concern would be sitting in a flying incubator anywhere in the world this week. And airports, the world's hub for travelling bugs.
I am very glad that i don't need to hop on a plane right now.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 am First time + asthma + dusty land + Chinese invasion + shit local healthcare + coronavirus = Cambodian holidays better be postponed...

Just my 2 cents.
First time + Asthma + shitty air quality - chinese ex-flux + shit local healthcare + coronavirus = make sure you have medevac to BKK travel insurance. 2% death rate upon contracting CV are not exactly poor so I'd encourage the OP to visit and take appropriate precautions. Carry your inhaler, wear a suitable mask to deal with shitty air quality. You've dealt with it all your life and am sure you know the best precautions to maintain your health. :please:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

A92ND wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 am Hey all,

So I have a question, I'm supposed to be spending a week in Siem Reap, and a week in PP at the start of March, my first visit to Cambodia.

Given the current situation in SEA with the coronavirus, would you still recommend traveling to Cambodia? I know I know some people will say "its only the flu" , however I have asthma, so getting the flu can also be quite serious for me.

Getting sick isn't the part that overly concerns me ( although obviously getting sick would of ruin traveling a bit ) its more if I did get sick ( which considering I will be traveling Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines and Thailand, raises my chances compared to just staying in one place ), what is the standard of healthcare like in Cambodia? Are doctors competent? Are public hospitals reasonable? Are private hospitals good?

Any advice/info would be appreciated ( I couldn't find any similar posts about this )

Thanks
Dont expect much healthcare wise in Philipines or vietnam either, not much better than Cambodia outside major cities. i wouldn't believe the figures about how much it has spread in SE asia either. Inconceivable there are so few case in Cambodia given the huge number of chinese.There were 3 from Wuhan in 1 hotel i stayed at in PP just after they were banned. Your persoanl risk is going to be determined by your age and the state of your immune system. Athsam will have a bearing on that but it might ormight not be significant depending on other factors. Its only the flu. You have a 98% chance of survival.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

Best place in the world <3
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If you have severe asthma it’s better to come in the rainy season. Now it’s the dry (and very dusty) season.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

Perfect time to come and enjoy Siem Reap.
have a wonderful time..
Don't listen to these clods.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

OP- suggest you check the PDS of your travel insurance.

Mine has this general exclusion:
claims caused by, or claims arising from, an epidemic,
pandemic or outbreak of a contagious disease or any
derivative or mutation of such viruses, or the threat or
perceived threat of any of these. Refer to who.int and
smartraveller.gov.au for further information on epidemics
and pandemics.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic