Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Kammekor »

sigmoid wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm This virus thing will soon be yesterday's news after fizzling out...

Vietnam discharges three more nCoV patients

Three Vietnamese workers who tested positive for new coronavirus infection after returning from a training trip in Wuhan were released from hospital Monday.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn ... 52896.html
Great news. At the same time about 100 million were put in isolation in Hebei province, Hangzhou, Shenzhen and Shanghai. But it’s great 4 people have been released from the hospital.

[edit]Guangzhou too[/edit]
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

"Among eight workers returning from Wuhan, six tested positive" .......

That ain't good stats....saying that thousands have arrived here directly from Wuhan...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Team of 10 scientists and pathologists succeed in growing coronavirus in Australia | 7NEWS
•Feb 10, 2020

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 pm Team of 10 scientists and pathologists succeed in growing coronavirus in Australia | 7NEWS
•Feb 10, 2020

I can’t stop wondering why the Chinese didn’t sent samples of the virus (worldwide).
I also don’t understand why it took the WHO team over 2 months to investigate the situation on the ground. Today the WHO published it took 14 days to form a team. Really? 14 days to form a team?
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

jah steu wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:31 pm From someone I trust. Just IMHO.

Where is he getting his data? The officially reported total cases as of now are 40,651 and total reported deaths are 910. That is a 2.2% mortality rate for nCoV so far, not 0.2%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Last edited by Stinkman on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Another one in UK...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761

Glad I am here....There ain't any here !!!!!!!!!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stinkman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:25 pm

Where is he getting his data? The officially reported total cases as of now are 40,651 and total reported deaths are 910. That is a 2.2% mortality rate for nCoV so far, not 0.2%.

He's multiplying the reported cases x 10 to account for probable cases that have not been assessed/recorded in a similar manner to how most colds and flus don't get recorded, as they are hot toddy and paracetamol cures.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 pm

He's multiplying the reported cases x 10 to account for probable cases that have not been assessed/recorded in a similar manner to how most colds and flus don't get recorded, as they are hot toddy and paracetamol cures.
But he is not multiplying to account for all the deaths attributed to causes other than nCoV for people not tested or confirmed as having the virus but succumbed to pneumonia, asthma, renal failure, etc. and so nCoV was not put on the death certificates. Far too many unknowns to simply multiply this number or that number by 10 and call it an educated guess. Garbage in, garbage out.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

To be clear, he is multiplying Coronavirus cases by 10 as he wants to account for unreported cases and he is similarly multiplying the standard flu cases by 10? As the unreported cases would apply to both.

I would contest that the multiplier for flu should be substantially higher, with the paranoia surrounding the Coronavirus I would think there’s more chance you’d get tested or otherwise discovered and included in the reported cases.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stinkman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:03 pm

But he is not multiplying to account for all the deaths attributed to causes other than nCoV for people not tested or confirmed as having the virus but succumbed to pneumonia, asthma, renal failure, etc. and so nCoV was not put on the death certificates. Far too many unknowns to simply multiply this number or that number by 10 and call it an educated guess. Garbage in, garbage out.
You would need to debate that with him, not me!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic