Cambodia is Introducing (Paying) Personalized Car Plates

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia is Introducing (Paying) Personalized Car Plates

Post by Mishmash »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 pm i don't get 'single'
also seen on fecebook
is it a lure?
It's a lure designed to part you from your wallet.

It means the lady is available to pleasure you.... for a consideration!

If a guy buys it means he has dough to part with for a lady or ten.

I wonder how much it will go for...

The 168 plate is definitely the most sought after
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Bidding for personalised number plates in Cambodia to be capped at US$860mil
By The Star - January 14, 2020

Cambodia’s Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol has launched a bidding system for the sale of personalised vehicle number plates.

Speaking during the launch last Tuesday, Chanthol said bidding would start at between two million and more than one billion riel (around RM2,000 to over RM1mil) per plate, and will be capped at 3.5 trillion riel (RM3.5bil).

He said the plates would be valid for life and customers can put a name or anything they want on them, but nothing ‘inappropriate’.
https://www.msn.com/en-my/news/other/bi ... ar-BBYTJ4O
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian transport ministry reaps benefits of personalised licence plates
8 Feb 2020
PHNOM PENH (Phnom Penh/ANN): The Ministry of Public Works and Transport has generated some US$2 million from the sale of personalised number plates since it launched the service last month.

From Jan 7 to Feb 4, the ministry had sold 468 such plates to vehicle owners throughout the country, a senior ministry official said.

At its official launch last month, minister Chanthol said the prices start at between US$500 and US$250,000 per plate, with some coveted plates open to bidding.

He said the plates will be valid for life, and customers can put a name or anything they want on them, but nothing ‘inappropriate’.

Each personalised plate includes the word “Cambodia” in Khmer script on top and in English at the bottom. The middle of the plates will compose of not more than eight characters or digits in English.

A QR code is included on the right side of the plate, which would allow officials to ascertain the history of the vehicle and the name and address of its owner.

People can purchase or bid on a plate on an online automated car registration system on vehicle.mpwt.gov.kh.

Chhoun Voun, the director-general of the ministry’s Land Transport General Department, told The Post on Wednesday (Feb 5) that most of the customers were from Phnom Penh. He said there have also been customers hailing from provinces to purchase the plate at the department.

“This has partly increased revenue for the national budget. We launch this service to meet people’s demand.

“Some want to have their favourite names, letters, or numbers on the plate, so we fulfil their wish. They can keep the special number forever, ” he said.
https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regiona ... nce-plates
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I am currently bidding for a 'OKNHA' plate for my 20yo Daelim bike. The generosity of being able to use it the rest of my life makes the price of 150k USD look like a bargain.

Anyway, makes you wonder what the competent royal government of Cambodia is going to de with the extra revenue. Reduce debts? Buy back parts of Chinaville province? Cut taxes? Invest in better roads? Questions questions....
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:51 am makes you wonder what the competent royal government of Cambodia is going to de with the extra revenue. Reduce debts? Buy back parts of Chinaville province? Cut taxes? Invest in better roads? Questions questions....

Have you seen the e-fucking-normous, colossal monstrosity being built on Norodom, which will be the new CPP headquarters?

Holy Fuck......the coffers must be overflowing with cash.........and now doubt, it's good to be the ruling party with no viable opposition.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Brody wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:51 am makes you wonder what the competent royal government of Cambodia is going to de with the extra revenue. Reduce debts? Buy back parts of Chinaville province? Cut taxes? Invest in better roads? Questions questions....

Have you seen the e-fucking-normous, colossal monstrosity being built on Norodom, which will be the new CPP headquarters?

Holy Fuck......the coffers must be overflowing with cash.........and now doubt, it's good to be the ruling party with no viable opposition.
I always though they used donations from the members for stuff like that :stir:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:59 am

I always though they used donations from the members for stuff like that :stir:
Lol, reach into their own pockets? The richest of those cheap cnuts even have the temerity to weasel their way out of the import tax on the Bentley's their driven around in.

Like it'd put a big dent in their Smaug-like hoard they keep in off shore accounts.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Didn’t see - do you mean the new NBC building that is being constructed on the site of the previous NBC building? Not a fan, but apparently is styled on one of the Angkor temples with a modern twist. It’s going to be huge from the pics I’ve seen.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am

Didn’t see - do you mean the new NBC building that is being constructed on the site of the previous NBC building? Not a fan, but apparently is styled on one of the Angkor temples with a modern twist. It’s going to be huge from the pics I’ve seen.
I don't think it really fucking matters to my overarching point Spigzy, but I'll check and get a pic the next time I drive by. I do remember seeing a CPP headquarters sign on or very near the construction.

During your next business meeting at Topaz, slap them on the back and give them a big "Good on ya" for me.

Once finished the place will be a boon for the local ekjai's .....what with all the empty Angkor cans, sure to be overflowing the dumpsters there.

Ostentatiously obscene architecture which will also support the local destitute.....win-win :thumb:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Can’t stand Topaz sorry, tremendously overrated.

Buffalo Sister all the way. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic