How can i give back?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

How can i give back?

Post by BigDee »

Its true, yes I could actually be confused as a local pisshead. And yes, I blow a shitload of money on any given night in and around our wonderful riverside bars and of course up and down our crazy streets of fortunes. Hmmm always something to be proud of the next day when digging through ya pockets trying to work out where the hell all that cash went. (no need to judge me LOL, I know already)

Anyways to point, most will know, sitting anywhere along Sisowath Quay riverside of a night watching the world pass or just simply walking about in that area you are often approached by young children either trying to sell you their wares or just outright begging for coin.
Its bloody heart breaking to see these kids out doing what they are to all hours of the night in these areas trying to make a buck. Its equally hard to ether ignore them or send them off with a no thanks or whatever so not to encourage more of it.

So, these past couple of weeks I have been really thinking about how or what I could do to make a difference and your right probably bugger all, as long as ppl giving em cash they will never be too far away and I can’t blame them.

What can I do? I know my contribution is bugger all compared to these huge NGOs on the coal face daily, I know I can’t change the world and hey I know I am no saint either trust me. So I guess what I am asking here is there some way I can donate my time, sponsor a family or help just one kid through school? Who do I contact, how can I do something, somehow?

Any advice, direction or contact would be appreciated.

I am sure we all agree, the Khmer people are extremely kindhearted and if could be lucky enough to learn to be half as humble I would be a very lucky man.
Thanks Dee
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

How can i give back?

Post by jah steu »

You could contact CCF (Cambodian Chidrens Fund.
They provide food, education, accommodation for deprived kids.
They have and are helping thousands of kids.
They would be able to help you think about how your money would be best spent.

https://www.cambodianchildrensfund.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
BigDee
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How can i give back?

Post by BigDee »

@ Jah Steu thanks mate, appreciated
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Give them books.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

contact https://choice-cambodia.org/blog/
they do very good things...

and welcome all help and they dont have big ex Hollywood guy helping them...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 am and they dont have big ex Hollywood guy helping them...
Does it really matter that someone is helping out people more unfortunate than himself?
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:06 am
Does it really matter that someone is helping out people more unfortunate than himself?
Only to those he's helping.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

G'donnya Big Dee,
I hate people, all of them, so it is no good asking me (all my efforts go to wild animal survival)

But as a general rule, my policy is to give to very small organisations.
The good ones give the biggest bang for small sized bucks - by far, IMO

Training training education training not-charity training training training
is another little mantra i chant
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I would look into donating or volunteering through an already established charitable organisation as has been suggested.

I would be cautious about doing something off your own steam as you might get exploited or worse.

Whilst I was living in Saigon a man stated helping the beggar kids around Bui Vien. He bought them school clothes, pens, books etc and taught them English a few evenings a week in a room above a shop

Because he was strange, a little odd and a bit eccentric and didn’t have a girlfriend a rumour built up he was a pedo and a bunch of alcoholic expats whose lives revolved around drinking beer all day at a couple of bars took it upon themselves to lynch the bloke and give him a proper hiding. I think he left town and went to Danang.

Whether the rumours were true I don’t know as I steer clear of the expat barfly scene myself.

So be careful as you are dealing with very vulnerable kids in a part of the world knee deep in pedo scum and barfly legends in their own lunchtimes who live off alcohol and gossip - a dangerous combination.

Good luck with it. Nice one.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:16 pm I would look into donating or volunteering through an already established charitable organisation as has been suggested.

I would be cautious about doing something off your own steam as you might get exploited or worse.

Whilst I was living in Saigon a man stated helping the beggar kids around Bui Vien. He bought them school clothes, pens, books etc and taught them English a few evenings a week in a room above a shop

Because he was strange, a little odd and a bit eccentric and didn’t have a girlfriend a rumour built up he was a pedo and a bunch of alcoholic expats whose lives revolved around drinking beer all day at a couple of bars took it upon themselves to lynch the bloke and give him a proper hiding. I think he left town and went to Danang.

Whether the rumours were true I don’t know as I steer clear of the expat barfly scene myself.

So be careful as you are dealing with very vulnerable kids in a part of the world knee deep in pedo scum and barfly legends in their own lunchtimes who live off alcohol and gossip - a dangerous combination.

Good luck with it. Nice one.

Perhaps he was.

I do not give to child beggars. They exist almost exclusively upon the riverside. There are resources available to help them. Sadly, many are being used by fagans and other unsavory types and are pushed into this life.

I don't go out of my way to "give back" as all my money is spent in the local economy. I pay taxes and have for years.

There's a few older people who I will give to, and usually they have a weighing scales or shoe polishing or some other tommer going on.

CCF would be a very good choice. I know child protection is taken extremely seriously there. I can't say the same about other organisations that help people here, as no involvement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic