US Overstayer Asks Cambodian Immigration to Send Him Home

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US Overstayer Asks Cambodian Immigration to Send Him Home

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Pedroviera wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:42 pm Maybe word is out amongst the homeless to turn themselves in before arrested and a specific organization will pay flight tickets . There would be thousand foreigners locked up for life otherwise. Seems more common recently
its not that simplistic. I knew people in Thailand that were stuck there and the police would just turn them away when they tried turning themselves in
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Marty wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:08 am
pczz wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:57 am
Marty wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:22 am Or why not have GoFundMe's setup for these unfortunate travellers?
Excuse me? I am a dumb arse tourist who comes to Cambodia, blows my stash on whores, drugs and beer and then i am so unfortunates i need someoen to pay my fare home? Save your charity for the real unfortunates. What is needed is for foreign governmetn to make stranding yourself in a foreign country a crime, pay for you to go home and deduct the cost from your pay through tax. i see no reason why Cambodia or the tax payers at home should help these people. Self inflicted injury
Where does it say that this young man blew his stash on whores and drugs and beer. I'd wager that you never even met him. Well I did in 2019 and he was generous with his stash. He was a top bloke whether sober or drunk. So there.
SO where did his money go then and why didnt' he have the smarts to do something before he went into overstay? I might have a bit of sympathy for someone who went a week or so over if hey got mugged but you do not have to be an accountant to work out you havent got enough for a flight or a visa or both well in advance
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Those are very good points. I said he is a top bloke, drunk or sober. I didn't say he was a long term planner or a good money manager like we are.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

No country for bald men
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

pczz wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 am
Marty wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:22 am Or why not have GoFundMe's setup for these unfortunate travellers?
Excuse me? I am a dumb arse tourist who comes to Cambodia, blows my stash on whores, drugs and beer and then i am so unfortunates i need someoen to pay my fare home? Save your charity for the real unfortunates. What is needed is for foreign governmetn to make stranding yourself in a foreign country a crime, pay for you to go home and deduct the cost from your pay through tax. i see no reason why Cambodia or the tax payers at home should help these people. Self inflicted injury
Where does it say that this young man blew his stash on whores and drugs and beer. I'd wager that you never even met him. Well I did in 2019 and he was generous with his stash. He was a top bloke whether sober or drunk. So there.
SO where did his money go then and why didnt' he have the smarts to do something before he went into overstay? I might have a bit of sympathy for someone who went a week or so over if hey got mugged but you do not have to be an accountant to work out you havent got enough for a flight or a visa or both well in advance
who knows but I very much doubt he is missing your sympathy, or are you thinking of sending him a donation?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:25 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 am
who knows but I very much doubt he is missing your sympathy, or are you thinking of sending him a donation?
Why should I send a donation to someone who got himself into a mess? I prefer to dontae to people who are in the shit due to someone elses actions.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Digging into the internet, you never know from some serious happenings anyone could find themselves non compos mentis and the loss of everything, more so after a few cans of that 50c hard to swallow sweet beer. (I don't think so) ;) But there are these, and handing yourself in may pressure the powers in your favour.

Former US diplomat with experience primarily in the Middle East

It depends on when (as well as where, of course) you're being deported.
For the US (it may be the same in some other countries):
If you're refused entry to a country, then the airline has to pay to take you back to where you boarded.
If you agree to depart voluntarily (self-deport) as part of a pre-trial settlement, then you buy your ticket.
If you're being deported due to some criminal offense, your sentence may require you to pay for you ticket. Or, the government can confiscate and auction your personal property (house, car, jewellery, etc.) to pay for the ticket.
If there's no way to squeeze the fare out of you, then the government will buy the ticket. It may well send you a bill, however. If you're part of a large group being deported back to a single country, the US might provide its own plane or ask that country to provide one of its own.
If you're being deported to the US, then an embassy will ask you to pay. If you don't have the money, they'll ask you to get your family or friends to pay. If they are unable to do so, then and only then will the government buy your ticket. They expect to be paid back and will set the bill-collector hounds on you if you do not. They will also confiscate your passport and replace it with a single-trip passport that will allow you to re-enter the US, but is invalid for any other travel.

It is every holiday-maker's worst nightmare.
What do you do if your cash and passport is stolen or lost while you are abroad? Luckily, the Foreign Office can help.
Embassies across the world have the ability to issue emergency travel documents in order to get travellers back to the UK.
In some cases, consular services can also help Britons who have got into trouble abroad get home through repatriation service.
The Foreign Office will pay for the costs of getting stranded travellers home, and potentially money for lodgings before a flight, but these fees will have to be repaid once they return to the UK.
The government will not charge people under 18 to be repatriated.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 pm Digging into the internet, you never know from some serious happenings anyone could find themselves non compos mentis and the loss of everything, more so after a few cans of that 50c hard to swallow sweet beer. (I don't think so) ;) But there are these, and handing yourself in may pressure the powers in your favour.

Former US diplomat with experience primarily in the Middle East

It depends on when (as well as where, of course) you're being deported.
For the US (it may be the same in some other countries):
If you're refused entry to a country, then the airline has to pay to take you back to where you boarded.
If you agree to depart voluntarily (self-deport) as part of a pre-trial settlement, then you buy your ticket.
If you're being deported due to some criminal offense, your sentence may require you to pay for you ticket. Or, the government can confiscate and auction your personal property (house, car, jewellery, etc.) to pay for the ticket.
If there's no way to squeeze the fare out of you, then the government will buy the ticket. It may well send you a bill, however. If you're part of a large group being deported back to a single country, the US might provide its own plane or ask that country to provide one of its own.
If you're being deported to the US, then an embassy will ask you to pay. If you don't have the money, they'll ask you to get your family or friends to pay. If they are unable to do so, then and only then will the government buy your ticket. They expect to be paid back and will set the bill-collector hounds on you if you do not. They will also confiscate your passport and replace it with a single-trip passport that will allow you to re-enter the US, but is invalid for any other travel.

It is every holiday-maker's worst nightmare.
What do you do if your cash and passport is stolen or lost while you are abroad? Luckily, the Foreign Office can help.
Embassies across the world have the ability to issue emergency travel documents in order to get travellers back to the UK.
In some cases, consular services can also help Britons who have got into trouble abroad get home through repatriation service.
The Foreign Office will pay for the costs of getting stranded travellers home, and potentially money for lodgings before a flight, but these fees will have to be repaid once they return to the UK.
The government will not charge people under 18 to be repatriated.
I dont think thats true. I have helped a few people out that have been in this position and in no cases were the embassies prepared to help with the airfare home. they will help you get in contact with relatives or friends but thats it. maybe for under 18s. some embassies will even call immigration and get you carted off to the immigration jail so people avoid asking them for help
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic