Thailands health minster says "they should be kicked out"

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailands health minster says "they should be kicked out"

Post by phuketrichard »

if they dont wear masks ( this morning)
“All farangs, those tourists… that’s something the embassies should be notified about and the public as well that are not wearing masks.”“They don’t care about the big picture. They don’t have any consideration to the situation.”
Anutin’s use of the term ‘farang’ is often associated in a derogatory sense when referring to foreigners. The term can also refers simply to caucasian foreigners but the Minister’s scorn for “farang’ was evident this morning as waved some of the free face-masks around whilst making his point.

“We’re handing them out and they still refuse. They need to be kicked out of Thailand!”
The Chinese, the Asians… they are all taking the masks, but those Europeans… that’s unbelievable.”
than this afternoon

The minister has apologised for his earlier comments about ‘farang’ , when he said that they “should be kicked out” for not wearing face-masks. The outspoken minister posted on his Facebook page an apology for his racially-charged remarks. He blamed his outburst… “on ill manners displayed by some foreigners”.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/coronav ... ks-apology

PS:

Wearing medical masks when not indicated may cause unnecessary cost, procurement burden and create a false sense of security that can lead to neglecting other essential measures such as hand hygiene practices. Furthermore, using a mask incorrectly may hamper its effectiveness to reduce the risk of transmission – World Health Organisation
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Thailands health minster says "they should be kicked out"

Post by ExPenhMan »

The earlier report by Coconuts Bangkok translated the weasel's intonation as "f*ckin farangs." A Thai Twitterer says it was "vulgar". It's still in the headline of the follow-up story on the "apology." Which was not an apology at all.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/kick-f ... -minister/
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Pissing off the remaining tourist base you've got at the moment probably isn't the smartest move in the book, in a fit of pique presumably because he didn't get the cooperative photo op he wanted all he has done is reveal his true colours. What a cnut.

The Mayor of Pattaya and his rent an entourage weren't wearing masks last night on Walking Street as they posed for a cringe worthy group photo op expressing support or was it begging for the Chinese, ( come back soon we need your money 😁) - outrageous.

A lot of desperation at the loss of revenue from their masters already coming from those in authority in Thailand. And with a no confidence debate on the horizon with Anutin one of those singled out.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

“All farangs, those tourists…
Reminds me of Clinton referring to Lewinski as 'that woman' :lol:

The Chinese, the Asians… they are all taking the masks, but those Europeans… that’s unbelievable.”
Well those Europeans are probably better informed about the effectiveness of masks..
Wearing medical masks when not indicated may cause unnecessary cost, procurement burden and create a false sense of security that can lead to neglecting other essential measures such as hand hygiene practices. Furthermore, using a mask incorrectly may hamper its effectiveness to reduce the risk of transmission – World Health Organisation
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

If they hand out masks for free, why not take and wear it? Even if it is only effective once when someone accidentally coughs directly onto the other’s face in a crowd, the mask has already done its job. It should be discarded quickly after that. But i doubt they will have enough masks to hand out for free for a long time. Those masks should be changed every day. Is there production capacity to meet that kind of demand? Unlikely. In my opinion wearing a mask is better than not wearing. Wearing in a crowded space like an airport is strongly advised even if it is at 5usd a piece.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Wearing a mask in this heat is not an option for me.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Totally rude. I don't wear a mask unless I'm sick and if I am, I stay home anyway. So do they not want me to come back to Thailand and spend money there?
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

He's got some neck to come out with that.....

Fly Chinese in direct from the epicentre and then moan because farang ain't putting on a mask,

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 1#23c09f8c
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

If only they'd been so proactive handing out masks to the millions of Bangkok residents suffering health threatening pollution levels for the last couple of months, they didn't seem so concerned on that issue. Its all a media show as far as I'm concerned with these clowns, I'll follow the advice of the WHO and other experts with constant hand cleanliness which as I understand it is as good a preventative measure as any. . Will be interested to see Bangkok Airport compliance when I fly in tomorrow night.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

As an aside I've been in Penang through Chinese New Year my first week and today/tomorrow they're expecting 10,000 arrivals for the Thaibusam Indian festival celebrations, 55-60,000 in KL. The wearing of masks since I've been here is really not that much in evidence and the figures I've seen via CEO postings don't indicate Malaysia as being worse hit than Thailand so far. Will keep an interested on developments here given what could theoretically be an ideal breeding ground.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic