Marching Towards National Salvation From Pol Pot Genocidal Regime 07 Jan 1979

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Marching Towards National Salvation From Pol Pot Genocidal Regime 07 Jan 1979

Post by Duncan »

All this talk of Pol Pot and his army ? So they came from where,,, the moon ?. And when it was all over they went where ??? back to the moon ?

There must be a lot of ''moon men '' hiding some dark secretes of what they did, cause we only ever hear about the victims .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Marching Towards National Salvation From Pol Pot Genocidal Regime 07 Jan 1979

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm All this talk of Pol Pot and his army ? So they came from where,,, the moon ?. And when it was all over they went where ??? back to the moon ?

There must be a lot of ''moon men '' hiding some dark secretes of what they did, cause we only ever hear about the victims .
There are literally thousands of interviews, articles and books about these "moon men".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
LatinGemini
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LatinGemini »

Here's the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGVQvUg3n2Y. Only 35 views. I'm reading Pol Pot & Cambodia's Curse before my trip. I'd be interesting to compare the film with books. No doubt a different perspective.
NicholasCoffill
Tourist
Australia

Post by NicholasCoffill »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 pm I watched part of it, seemed interesting enough. Many of the people criticizing it are doing so for political reasons and wouldn't have any idea how accurate it is as they know next to nothing about the backstory.
John, where did you get the photograph of the soldiers running past the 'moonlight pavilion' in PNH?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't remember, it's from a group of pictures taken on or shortly after Jan 7th 1979.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:27 pm I’ve watched about the first 30 minutes. I’ll try and get through the rest tomorrow. I’m interested to see if the Chinese support for the Pol Pot regime is mentioned at all. I suspect it won’t be. Most documentaries about the Pol Pot regime seem to contain the obligatory footage of a smiley Pol Pot meeting some decrepit, androgynous looking Chinese communist leader.

I noticed that in about the opening minute, there is an image from the cover of a Newsweek magazine from 1978. It’s a photo of a Khmer Rouge soldier executing a prisoner with an axe or hoe. It’s been established that this photo, and others in the series, are fakes. The photos first appeared in a right-wing Thai newspaper a couple of days before a Thai election in 1976. The Bangkok Post refused to run the photos because they knew they were fake. After they published an article denouncing the photos as fake, a Thai intelligence officer admitted that he had staged the photos in Thailand. It didn’t stop Time, Newsweek, and many western media outlets using the photos. And the producers of this film are either ignorant or don’t think attention to detail is important.
Good point about the faked photographs, Prahoc.
"The left" has received some totally unwarranted criticism for denying the true nature of KR rule in the very early days.
This criticism is misplaced because reliable reports were not widely circulated until about late 1977 when
François Ponchaud's book "Cambodia: Year Zero" was translated into English even then it was not widely circulated or picked up by the western press until 1978

Before that, the picture was clouded by lots of fake propaganda generated by the West. After all the lies of the Vietnam war it was totally logical that these obviously fake stories and photographs prevented almost everybody from fully realising the terrible truth about the KR for the first couple of years.

The irony is that US Intelligence had very reliable proof thru the whole time. They refused to release this factual material, simply because they were spooks who loved secrets.
- and so then, other spooks tried to convince everybody with fakes - hence nobody had any valid reason to believe the KR were evil until the diligent French priest, Ponchaud, came along with his meticulously collected stories from fleeing refugees at the border.

The famous Free World journalists never came up with anything except spook-fed fakes.
US intel sat on the truth and presented fakes instead, totally shooting themselves in the foot (again!)

Remember too, this was just as the world was realising that the much touted "blood bath" had not eventuated in Vietnam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic