Response to Corona Virus

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Response to Corona Virus

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Personally I would self isolate if I suspected I was high risk of having been exposed to the virus , or if I thought I actually had it - just my personal, totally trusted, survival instinct.
Then keep in touch with latest knowledge of symptoms and treatments. Be ready to go to a good hospital if symptoms got serious.

Keep in mind the very low death rate (at present) and most of those have had underlying conditions.
( NB including reduced lung capacity)

If I was in a country with effective tracking of my contacts during contagious phase, I would notify authorities immediately and take thier direction. I trust modern public health in this type of epidemic.
Sadly, quite the opposite in Cambodia. Reporting here would probably not help the public health situation any more than going to a hospital would improve my chances of survival - more likely, just the opposite with both.

It goes against my grain to defy
the authorities in public health matters like this, it would usually be selfish and highly irresponsible - but you have to be hard core realist here . Or you die.
NB, strictly IMO, I am not advocating my views for anybody else to follow.

As for the OP, regretfully I can not be nearly as generously hearted as our resident saint, Andy AKK.
Sock or just regular avitar - his deliberate abusive provications, his stated intention of deliberately spreading the virus by going to crowded places, and his ridiculous sense of entittlement, lead me to place no value on anything he says.
But once again, strictly imo only.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:06 pm As for the OP, regretfully I can not be nearly as generously hearted as our resident saint, Andy AKK.
Sock or just regular avitar - his deliberate abusive provications, his stated intention of deliberately spreading the virus by going to crowded places, and his ridiculous sense of entittlement, lead me to place no value on anything he says.
Combined with the fact that Mr BrazilBoy hasn't posted anything since 11:36pm last night.
And, no that's not because he may be in hospital.
Because, yes, 'foreigner in Cambodia suspected of having corona virus' would have been leaked into news outlets already.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

It's a wind-up account. I thought the "My Chinese wife treats Cambodians like shit" thread was when it started to unravel, it was too blatant of a troll that most people would know not to take further threads/posts seriously. Need to be a bit more stealth in the next wind-up account he makes.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:06 pm Personally I would self isolate if I suspected I was high risk of having been exposed to the virus , or if I thought I actually had it - just my personal, totally trusted, survival instinct.
Then keep in touch with latest knowledge of symptoms and treatments. Be ready to go to a good hospital if symptoms got serious.

Keep in mind the very low death rate (at present) and most of those have had underlying conditions.
( NB including reduced lung capacity)

If I was in a country with effective tracking of my contacts during contagious phase, I would notify authorities immediately and take thier direction. I trust modern public health in this type of epidemic.
Sadly, quite the opposite in Cambodia. Reporting here would probably not help the public health situation any more than going to a hospital would improve my chances of survival - more likely, just the opposite with both.

It goes against my grain to defy
the authorities in public health matters like this, it would usually be selfish and highly irresponsible - but you have to be hard core realist here . Or you die.
NB, strictly IMO, I am not advocating my views for anybody else to follow.

As for the OP, regretfully I can not be nearly as generously hearted as our resident saint, Andy AKK.
But once again, strictly imo only.
some news then -

British scientist 'makes coronavirus vaccine breakthrough' as infection numbers and death toll rise

A British scientist is said to have made a breakthrough in developing a vaccine for the coronavirus by vastly reducing the development time.
Robin Shattock, head of mucosal infection and immunity at Imperial College London, said he has managed to cut the time to get to clinic from "two to three years to just 14 days".
He is at the stage to start testing the vaccine on animals as early as next week, with human studies in the summer if enough funding is secured, Sky reports.
"Conventional approaches usually take at least two to three years before you even get to the clinic," he told Sky. "And we've gone from that sequence to generating a candidate in the laboratory in 14 days."
He added: "It's not going to be too late if this becomes a pandemic and if it circulates around the world. We still don't know much about the epidemic itself so it may wane over the summer months if it is like influenza.
We may see a second wave come through on a global basis and if it comes a vaccine will be really important and would be in place to tackle that."
It comes as the death toll in mainland China from the virus rose to 490, officials said early on Wednesday.
The total number of cases has increased to 24,324.
Yesterday, foreign secretary Dominic Raab urged all Brits in mainland China to return home if possible.
While health secretary Matt Hancock today said more cases are "expected" in Britain, with the government taking all precautions to limit the spread in the UK.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/b ... spartandhp
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ravensnest wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:14 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:20 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 pm They must have him in the hospital, responses stopped.
Nah, don't think so. If that were the case it would be all over the news.

He's probably too embarrassed to make any further posts.
I hope you don't believe there has only been one case of The virus in the KoW.
AFAIK there’s no CDC clinic in TK so....
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Indonesia was only able to test for the virus by last weekend.
Does anybody know if Cambodia actually is testing yet?

One problem - despite all the usual lies about transparency, China has refused to release the virus to anybody else for developing tests, vaccines, research and treatments.
Australia had to find its own virus and they did the genome mapping first. they then made all info available immediately for everybody.
US CDC, and other countries, had very limited testing capabilities, but now with the Australian research they have rapidly developed good testing methods - only available for other US state health authorities today
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 am Indonesia was only able to test for the virus by last weekend.
Does anybody know if Cambodia actually is testing yet?

One problem - despite all the usual lies about transparency, China has refused to release the virus to anybody else for developing tests, vaccines, research and treatments.
Australia had to find its own virus and they did the genome mapping first. they then made all info available immediately for everybody.
US CDC, and other countries, had very limited testing capabilities, but now with the Australian research they have rapidly developed good testing methods - only available for other US state health authorities today
I heard an interview with a (Dutch) virologist a few days ago and she was claiming that as this stage (positive) testing is extremely difficult because the current generation of tests is neither specific nor sensitive enough. Labs around the world are trying to find better testing methods, but for that they need to know more about the virus' behavior. Maybe they found something?
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

CDC Does Not Respect Confidentiality- Don’t Get Tested for Corona in Cambodia!

Post by BrazilBoy »

Fair warning!
The CDC in Cambodia is not to be trusted with confidentiality!
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

Agreed CDC (THE COUNCIL FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF CAMBODIA) are a right bunch of crooks. http://www.cambodiainvestment.gov.kh/ :facepalm:

Probably not the best place to get your bird flu fixed though, unless that it you're planning to spin off your victim story into a new NGO.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

The deputy head of the school insists he never told anyone, so it must be the CDC US https://kh.usembassy.gov/embassy/phnom- ... fices/cdc/

Honestly this needs to be taken up with more mainstream and so I already contacted CNN Although most on this site are clueless, confidentiality in testing is essential and apparently the CDC US broke confidentiality.

And yes that would make me a victim and I am going to as much as I can to sound an alarm.
Again, don’t even get tested in Cambodia; everyone will find out and your life will be fucked.

For example, it looks like CDC US told my apartment manager (The Green Apartment in TK) and the owner has given me until Monday for me and my family to vacate the apartment. The negative test result means nothing; the lease means nothing. Yes this needs to be broadcasted as much as possible.

Fair warning - don’t even get tested in Cambodia!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic