From idea to business, questions

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

From idea to business, questions

Post by Ghostwriter »

I think i have a good idea, but i'm not too sure about how to cash it.

After a third of my life abroad, now that i'm back in my natural environment (France), the fact that my country and me both changed, makes my mind sparkle with various ideas, as i'm back into the local rat race to make better than just survive with average wages.

I observed a non-exploited segment of an important kind of business, and i'm a bit uncertain about the way to go from here.

First, i'd like to patent it. But, my idea is a combination of various kinds of existing processes & materials, aimed to a certain type of customers, with some existing technology in it. So, just a bunch different settings on the business-model equalizer, if i can say so. But then the product is new and distinct, and has proper qualities leading it to some specific kinds of clients.

Is it possible to patent the concept, even without making a first sample ( because it's too expensive for me, and would need a lot of preparation) ?
Should i go directly to a leading company of this business and ask for an interview to expose the project ?

I already plan to go to a lawyer specialized into intellectual property, but not now. I prefer to let this percolate a bit, see what i can guess by myself and pals, before jumping in. I don't fucking even know if the thing could be viable, financially speaking. But i've seen weirder sucessfull businesses, so....
It's a physical thing, that has to be built. Workforce, suppliers, authorizations are not an issue, as there is many variations of this sector already in business. I think i found a good niche, so to say, and i would be a customer of it.

Any advice ?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: From idea to business, questions

Post by Yerg »

Wow, there are some confusing things in there. First and foremost, if you have a physical business proposition, that includes machinery or intelligence, I'd suggest securing the rights to them both before progressing. I understand that you don't want to tell anyone here, as it would divulge your thoughts, but it is hard to give proper advice without greater details. Sorry I can't help further. Perhaps you can register your IP and patent and after that can send me a PM. More than happy to help a fellow business man.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Yerg wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 am a physical business proposition, that includes machinery or intelligence, I'd suggest securing the rights to them both before progressing.
Thank you.

But if the machinery or intelligence are nothing new ? Just added to the thing ? Except for branded website or app which need to be created and owned, but are not different from existing websites and apps.

Can a business model be patented ?
What difference beetween 2 same business models, except for the brand name and slightly different product ? Mc D vs Burger King, for example ? If i come with a HotDog chain in the business, what's to be patented, as all of it is already existing ? (building, machines, hotdogs....)
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Speak to Glootie.. at your peril!

Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

Just tell us what it is you cocktease
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'd be googling business startup and patents and doing some research around that.

I've invested in shares of a few companies that have patents in place and one thing that stood out is that it doesn't necessarily need to be an invention per se, or new product but rather, the manufacturing or operational process or technique..indeed, I get the sense that more emphasis seems to be on the latter these days. Whether that applies to what you have in mind or extends to the business idea, I dunno but I think Mr Google must be your friend there..haven't looked but imagine there must be a lot there..the trick will be to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak to find what you're after.

Good luck.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:25 am Just tell us what it is you cocktease
Yea, we promise not to tell anyone.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:03 am I'd be googling business startup and patents and doing some research around that.

.....but rather, the manufacturing or operational process or technique..
Yes thanks, i do google a lot, and i am a bit disapointed about the results, same as Youtube. The results accuracy is worse than a few years ago, when i compare research subjects from then, and from now.

You mean that the specific modus operandi is what is to be patented, right, not the tools to do it. So it could be ready for patent although only explained on writings for now, correct ?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:10 am
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:03 am I'd be googling business startup and patents and doing some research around that.

.....but rather, the manufacturing or operational process or technique..
Yes thanks, i do google a lot, and i am a bit disapointed about the results, same as Youtube. The results accuracy is worse than a few years ago, when i compare research subjects from then, and from now.

You mean that the specific modus operandi is what is to be patented, right, not the tools to do it. So it could be ready for patent although only explained on writings for now, correct ?
I think a lot depends on the search terms you use and one can lead to another. You might have done this already but if you're not sure about whether you need to patent, I would suggest start with 'what you can't patent'.
https://www.prv.se/en/patents/applying- ... -patented/
https://www.legalzoom.com/knowledge/pat ... patentable
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/11/17/p ... id=103389/

Then I would search 'business start up patents'. A few here:
https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startup ... a-startup/
https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/03/ip-st ... e-patents/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/201 ... 987b3f2ac3
https://www.natlawreview.com/article/wh ... l-property
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Be careful about making information pertaining to your invention public (including on this forum) as this may potentially create a problem when you or your business partners want to apply for a patent.

From https://www.wipo.int/patents/en/faq_patents.html

“However, to ensure that no one is able to patent your invention, instead of filing a patent application, you may disclose the invention to the public so that it becomes prior art for any patent application that will be filed after your publication, thereby placing it in the public domain (commonly known as defensive publication). Because of the existence of such prior art, later filed patent applications containing the same or similar invention will be refused by a patent office on the grounds of the lack of novelty or inventive step. At the same time, if you disclose your invention before filing a patent application, you will severely limit your possibility of obtaining patent protection on that invention.”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic